• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sabine Pass next time

Wasabi

Reaction score
I heard so much about riding in Sabine Pass I jump at the chance to go. My friend Tony had a well planed route for all day Saturday and half a day Sunday.
:chug:
Tony was in the Golden Triangle area working all week so I trailered both of our bikes ( my KLR and his TTR250) to Port Arthur from Arlington Friday after work . We stayed in a motel in Port Arthur Friday night. That morning we switched the trailer from my car to Tony’s van. We were on the road by 8 am to the Sea Rim Park (corrected info Sabine park) where we were going to leave the trailer and van. The weather was cool and foggy. We arrived at the park unloaded the bikes and was ready to ride by 9:00. As we were unloading the van we were attacked by hundreds of mosquitoes. :angryfir:

Couldn’t wait to get on the road just to get away from the nasty blood suckers.
Only one hitch , Tony’s bike wouldn’t start. :-(

We fussed with that thing for what seemed like forever. The longer we were there, the more blood we were losing. We had almost no tools but we kind of determined that the bike was getting no spark. We are hoping it was just a fouled plug. Tony has a friend in Beaumont that has an auto repair shop ( plenty of tools) near the Yamaha dealer . We packed up and headed for Beaumont. We stopped at the bike dealer and picked up a plug and headed to the shop. Once at the shop we pulled the plug. We tested the juice to the plug, no fire. Now we have an electrical problem. After several very frustrating hours we give up and I head back to Arlington. :-(

We are making plans for our next trip to the pass sometime in May. :chug:

Bikes loaded and ready to go.

14667802-S.jpg

Sea Rim Park

14667803-S.jpg

Fixing ?

14667806-S.jpg

Sorry you didn't get to play Bill. I can't believe the bugs are that bad in the middle of winter! Wait, that's right, this is Texas... there IS NO WINTER!

Better luck next time...

It's Sabine pass. Tiny little hole in the mud surrounded by a gazillion acres of swampy bayou/river/beach etc.

I used to work there on the flight line for a petro helo outfit, night shift bites a real big one for skeeters out there.

Sabine Pass

Watch the tide charts and it at low tide or with a north wind and you can ride to High Island on the beach. Turn around and go back on the beach or road it to Winne and 73 to PA Not many turns but an intresting ride.

TTR-250

Did he put a Baja kit on that bike? How did he get it inspected? I looked at it recently and it just looks lighter than the DRZ400 but no street legal. California is suppose to be cracking down on bikes that are barely legal. So Texas might not be so far away.

What is the structure under construction

I went to Sabine Pass Battleground Park just before Christmas. I did not see any evidence of construction - still had the mosquitos! What is the structure under construction in the pictures?

Re: TTR-250

Greeves TFS said:
Did he put a Baja kit on that bike? How did he get it inspected? I looked at it recently and it just looks lighter than the DRZ400 but no street legal. California is suppose to be cracking down on bikes that are barely legal. So Texas might not be so far away.

Yes it has a Baja Kit. I was very impressed with the quality, but it was also pricey. The bike had an electric starter so it already had a battery. This made it easier to add the lights. He had to change the title from off road to street. Once that done he needed liability insurance and then he applied for a license plate and then was safety inspected.

Re: What is the structure under construction

LAStrom said:
I went to Sabine Pass Battleground Park just before Christmas. I did not see any evidence of construction - still had the mosquitos! What is the structure under construction in the pictures?

oops :oops:

I checked with my friend , It was actually Sea Rim Park , the structure is the park office.

Bill

Back