PDA

View Full Version : My Givi Windshield is Cracking

MetrickMetal
03-09-2008, 04:27 PM
As I was getting ready to go on a ride this morning with some friends, I noticed that my about 5 month old Givi windshield on my 1250S has developed a vertical crack about 1 1/2" in lenght in the lower center of the shield, with two smaller cracks starting right next to it about 1/2" in lenght.

There is no signs of anything hitting the windshield, and they weren't there a couple of days ago's when I cleaned my winshield, and it appears as if they have just developed for whatever reason.

I wonder that due to the fact that there is absolutly no sign of anything hitting the windshield, and given the short amount of time I have had, will Give warrant the windshield.

When I first installed the Give shield, the first thing I thought to myself after seeing how flexible it was, was if it was going to be able to withstand the wind pressure against it without cracking.

If I have to end up getting a new windshield, and Givi does not end up warranty it, I am going to look at another brand, so I am open to input from everyone on taller than stock windshields other than the Givi that they are happy with and have not had any cracking issues.

I am going to call Givi tomorrow and see what they have to say about it.

You can see the crack, just to the right of the brake master cylinder.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg136/hoggone/Bandit%20Parts/Windshieldcracks001.jpg

Rick
03-09-2008, 06:45 PM
I would really be surprised if GiviUSA didn't take care of this for you. I've had nothing but good luck with them. They replaced a broken topcase button free of charge 3 years after I bought it.
Rick

John Bennett
03-10-2008, 07:14 AM
What did Givi say?

MetrickMetal
03-11-2008, 09:23 AM
What did Givi say?

They are sounding a little hesitant at this point as to if they will warrant it, and the guy I spoke to said he has never seen this before, and said that all of the cracking issue they see are cracks initiating from the mounting screws, so I have to take it off and send it to them. He also said he thinks maybe somebody hit my windshield, causing the cracks, which sounds like an attempt to get out of replacing my shield.

I did not want to put the stock shield back on, and I am taking about an 800 mile trip on the 28th of this month, so I just ordered up the Suzuki windshield from www.everythingsuzuki to try out, and I will have it before I take off on my trip. It only cost $69.66 with shipping.

You can see that absolutely nothing hit the windshield to cause it to crack, and two of my friends looked at my windshield on a ride we went on Sunday and said that it looked like stress cracks in the windshield to them, which is the same thing it looks like to me.

So I'll see how the shield from Suzuki works, and if I like it and Givi ends up warranting it, I may just sell it when I get the new one back, or just keep it for a backup.

I know for one thing, if Givi does not take care of this, I will never buy another one of their products.

Roy
03-11-2008, 10:46 AM
I had a similar crack on a V-Strom headlight lense. Suzuki would not warranty the headlight assembly stating it must have been hit. It was obvious to me and the dealer it had never had an impact of any type. Dealer replaced it for me at N/C. I still do business with this dealer to date. Money well spent on his part. Gotta give a little to make a little in todays market.

The Suzuki screen is pretty good I actually like it better than I did my old Givi screen. It should serve you well for your trip in fact it might make you forget the Givi screen all together.:mrgreen:

John Bennett
03-11-2008, 11:34 AM
That's what I was thinking. In your photo I could see no scratches or dents that would indicate an impact.

The only other cause of failure would be due to vibration and wind loading. It's a motorcycle windshield. They are supposed to resist that.

terrebandit
03-11-2008, 09:36 PM
weird... I would be surprised if GIVI didn't make it right. They make great stuff that is normally very durable. The guy you talked to needs to take a course in customer service, thats for certain.

MetrickMetal
03-12-2008, 08:57 AM
That's what I was thinking. In your photo I could see no scratches or dents that would indicate an impact.

The only other cause of failure would be due to vibration and wind loading. It's a motorcycle windshield. They are supposed to resist that.

Here is another picture, and as it shows there are absolutely no signs of anything impacting the shield. I have been riding my bike mostly at high speed's on the Fwy and highways at speeds above 85 mph a lot of the time, and in light to strong wind, and from time to time I can see the windshield flexing around quite a bit, which is what I believe has caused the stress fractures in the windshield.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg136/hoggone/Bandit%20Parts/Windshieldcracks003.jpg

Roy
03-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Got the Zook screen on yet?

MetrickMetal
03-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Got the Zook screen on yet?

No, I just ordered it yesterday and it was in stock, so I should be getting it by early next week. I post up a picture of it once I get it installed and let everyone know well it works compared to the Givi.

MetrickMetal
03-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Please delete, duplicate post

Huladog
03-22-2008, 01:20 PM
If the GIVI screen is basically shot already why not try the aerospace crack stopper technique of drilling a small hole at each end of the crack to keep it from propagating?

You could drop some silicone or epoxy into the holes/crack if it bothers you and it might be a way to salvage the screen as a backup now that you have the Suzook screen on the way.

I'm watching this since I wanted to try a screen taller than my Holeshot/Skidmarx double-bubble. On my Yamaha FZ-1 I had the Yamaha Canada touring screen which was much higher and more comfortable but it did flex a bit and rubbed the fairing paint, must be a higher frequency vibe since I never did eyeball it flexing around.

Man, you must be flying along those high desert roads!

Aloha,
Huladog

MetrickMetal
03-22-2008, 02:16 PM
If the GIVI screen is basically shot already why not try the aerospace crack stopper technique of drilling a small hole at each end of the crack to keep it from propagating?

You could drop some silicone or epoxy into the holes/crack if it bothers you and it might be a way to salvage the screen as a backup now that you have the Suzook screen on the way.

I'm watching this since I wanted to try a screen taller than my Holeshot/Skidmarx double-bubble. On my Yamaha FZ-1 I had the Yamaha Canada touring screen which was much higher and more comfortable but it did flex a bit and rubbed the fairing paint, must be a higher frequency vibe since I never did eyeball it flexing around.

Man, you must be flying along those high desert roads!

Aloha,
Huladog

I've put about 500 miles on it since I noticed the cracks, and almost all at fwy speeds above 75 mph and the cracks have not gotten any bigger.

The new taller Suzuki shield will be here Tuesday, at which time I'll install it so I can send the cracked one back to Givi, and if they warranty it I'll either keep it for a spare or sell it if the Suzuki shield ends up working out ok.

As far as the speeds I have been doing most of my riding, which is to and from college, when I'm ride to college in the afternoon, if your not doing 85 mph your holding up traffic, and on the ride home from school at around 10 pm at night I can usually do 90+ mph for most of the way home, and a lot of the time there is also wind, so the windshield has been getting a workout. :rider:

bones
03-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Anyone have and fixes for the rubber captive nuts for the screen? A lower one already fell off when removing it and it's now MIA for now until I hopefully find it. Dealer was zero help as they have no computer systems...***?!?!? It is mainly a HD dealer. :lol2:

So far I have a ziptie on it and it's not moving, but want a remedy before I install my new screen coming soon. Those stock parts are kinda gimmicky to say the least.

Roy
04-01-2008, 06:05 AM
Anyone have and fixes for the rubber captive nuts for the screen? A lower one already fell off when removing it and it's now MIA for now until I hopefully find it. Dealer was zero help as they have no computer systems...***?!?!? It is mainly a HD dealer. :lol2:

So far I have a ziptie on it and it's not moving, but want a remedy before I install my new screen coming soon. Those stock parts are kinda gimmicky to say the least.

You might try Home Depot or the likes for the rubber well nuts I know they have the larger ones. Try Lockhart Phillips they sell the wellnut kits as well. The ones off a GSXR will work that is what is holding my two front ones on right now. Dealer kid never inistalled my lower ones on assembly. I ordered some replacements that was last July have not seen them yet.

zukib
04-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Hmm.. I installed the Givi last week. Hope it stays in one piece. I did notice the disclaimer sticker on it stating too keep it at 60mph if riding in heavy winds though. First trip with it today. Seemed like a good improvement.

G. :-)

MetrickMetal
04-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Hmm.. I installed the Givi last week. Hope it stays in one piece. I did notice the disclaimer sticker on it stating too keep it at 60mph if riding in heavy winds though. First trip with it today. Seemed like a good improvement.

Are you serious about a sticker on your windshield that said not to exceed 60 mph if riding in heavy winds, as mine did not have that on it when I recieved it, and I wonder just what Givi considers to be a heavy wind, sounds like a crock to me.

If they try saying that it cracked because I exceeded 60 mph while riding in heavy winds they can shove it, as I just checked their website and it says nothing in the product description for the windshield about not to exceed 60 mph while riding in high winds.

There is also no warning to that effect on the website I bought it from either.

PhilS
04-04-2008, 08:30 PM

Actually, the sticker is really there. I went back to look at some original photos I have of the shield coming out of the box, and there is a blue and red sticker with white letters on it that I believe gives a warning to not exceed higher speeds (I think it was 100 KMH) in strong winds...........go figure.

SoCalBandit
04-06-2008, 01:07 AM
Actually, the sticker is really there. I went back to look at some original photos I have of the shield coming out of the box, and there is a blue and red sticker with white letters on it that I believe gives a warning to not exceed higher speeds (I think it was 100 KMH) in strong winds...........go figure.
I just bought one a couple weeks ago and mine didn't have that sticker.

MetrickMetal
04-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Well I just received a new replacement windshield back from Givi to replace the one I sent them that started to crack. I sent it back to them on March 26, so they were pretty prompt at resolving the problem, and yes this one does have a big sticker on it saying not to exceed 100 KPH in heavy winds, which they still have not said what constitutes a heavy wind in their opinion. :rider:

SoCalBandit
04-08-2008, 02:04 AM
Well I just received a new replacement windshield back from Givi to replace the one I sent them that started to crack. I sent it back to them on March 26, so they were pretty prompt at resolving the problem, and yes this one does have a big sticker on it saying not to exceed 100 KPH in heavy winds, which they still have not said what constitutes a heavy wind in their opinion. :rider:
Well I hope it's just a small percentage that are cracking.........we'll see.

bones
04-08-2008, 08:02 AM

Went to the dealer.....all of it is on microfische!!!! :eek2:

Took all of 45 minutes for him to find it and then i am asked "how many" I say gimme a half dozen just in case....$4.10 EACH! :eek2: :eek2: So I ordered 2, I can get the part # if anyone is interested. Anyone got any lube? I feel violated

dwoodul
04-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Well that's just great. I have a Givi, which I like a lot, and last month I hit (for just a short blast - ;-) ) 105 MPH. There was no "heavy wind" but it seems 105 is a heavy wind by itself. :trust:

Ol dave

Roy
04-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Glad I sold my Givi I have been way over 60 mph many times most recently 138 mph recorded on the GPS:eek2:

Suzuki double bubble is working fine for me at the moment.:rider:

whitesands
04-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Glad I sold my Givi I have been way over 60 mph many times most recently 138 mph recorded on the GPS:eek2:

Suzuki double bubble is working fine for me at the moment.:rider:

How much difference over stock are you able to notice ?

Roy
04-10-2008, 02:56 PM
How much difference over stock are you able to notice ?

A little less wind in the helmet and alot less pressure on my chest shoulder area. It was better for me than the Givi which had my head doing a rudder thing and to me the Givi was much noisier. I can hear my helmet speakers with the suzuki DB with ear plugs same as with the stock screen that was not the case with the Givi. Its no where near being perfect but good enough for the $60 I got in it.

SoCalBandit
04-11-2008, 12:21 AM
yes this one does have a big sticker on it saying not to exceed 100 KPH in heavy winds, which they still have not said what constitutes a heavy wind in their opinion. :rider:
100KPH??!! That rediculous! That's only about 60MPH! You'd get RUN OVER doin' 60 on California freeways and probably most freeways in this country!

All this means is GIVI can't make a quality windscreen that's durable enough to stand up to winds. I've had plenty of aftermarket windscreens and they were LESS expensive than the GIVI and they had NO wind warning on them.
I've had POWERBRONZE, ZERO GRAVITY, and others and none of them had any "warnings" on them about "high winds" :rolleyes: