• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kim "wonder91178" Collins - Burleson, TX

Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Well here's some pics I guess I shall share! :-D

Kim

My 2004 Ninja 250
pimg-1093548904-677437.jpg

My Ninja 250 in it's current state
post-59-11047050200.jpg

Me and the hub (Squidward)
post-3-11029913390.jpg

post-3-11029914510.jpg

I will add more later!! ;-)

Yes....I had a little boo boo on a ride with my husband. We were riding from D/FW to Waco on a rather windy day, and down around Milton, TX a good gust of wind caught me and the Ninja and blew me off my line and I hit some gravel and lowsided it (and broke my ankle!).

post-59-10969277841.jpg

post-59-10969277844.jpg

post-59-10969278251.jpg

post-59-10969278540.jpg

post-59-10969278551.jpg

post-59-10969278552.jpg

post-59-10969278554.jpg

post-59-10969278842.jpg

Here's where I ended up...
post-59-10981924471.jpg

And where the Ninja ended up...
post-59-10981924470.jpg

The barbed wire I came feet from hitting...
post-59-10981926200.jpg

Me back at the crash site...
post-59-10981926212.jpg

I hadn't found any boots that worked for me, so yes, I was in tennis shoes (I know, I know, bad Kim) and here's the shoe from the broken ankle...
post-59-10997904730.jpg

Another vote for a full-face helmet. :eek: Why did you have to drop the motor?

Well, things have to be re-arranged since it's having Aprilia RS250 race bodywork put on it rather than having it back to stock :-D

Kim

txmedic said:
Another vote for a full-face helmet. :eek: Why did you have to drop the motor?

+1 on the full-face helmet.

I dropped the motor to get any flammables out of my way while i am welding up brackets to attach the new subframe. I'll fit all of the bodywork with the engine mounted. After i mark my spots and talk on the new brackets I'll pull it all down, finish the welds then the frame will be going out for powder-coating. It's a slow process.

Kim, someone here recently was looking for women's motorcycle gear, and I don't know if anyone mentioned Cycle Gear. They advertise they have a large selection of women's gear, and I seem to remember that being true in their Austin store. Worth a try anyway.

txmedic said:
Kim, someone here recently was looking for women's motorcycle gear, and I don't know if anyone mentioned Cycle Gear. They advertise they have a large selection of women's gear, and I seem to remember that being true in their Austin store. Worth a try anyway.

We've gone that route and found nothing that fit her feet properly. We are still looking and she will have proper footwear before her next outing. ;-)

You might have already tried them, but Moto-Liberty at I-35E and Royal Lane is where I bought my boots. They have a large selection and a decent selection of womens gear. I know the Lonestar BMW/Triumph down here in Austin seems to have the largest selection of womens gear that I have seen.

We went to the Cycle Gear in Bedford and they only had one pair of boots for women (the Frank Thomas Maria - something or other boots). I did not feel comfortable with the fit at all, so we are still looking.

Although I have decided to go with the solid black Scorpion EXO700 helmet (Squidward won't let me get the all carbon fiber $800 Vemar helmet, hehehehe).

We need to re-visit Motoliberty though :-)

Kim

:tab Beth got her Alpine Stars at Moto-Liberty and loves them. Weather proof and look like they are pretty good for protection. I think they were around $140 or so? Been a while.

:tab By the way, welcome to the site to both of you ;-)

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
:tab Beth got her Alpine Stars at Moto-Liberty and loves them. Weather proof and look like they are pretty good for protection. I think they were around $140 or so? Been a while.

:tab By the way, welcome to the site to both of you ;-)

Adios,

Thanks Tourmeister!!

Actually I was interested in trying some Diadora, Gaerne, or Oxtar boots, just to be different, although I think I'd be hard pressed to find them in my size.

I also like the Teknic Speedstar boots but they are $400 :eek:

Kim

BTW....this is off the boot topic, I just wanted to share....crashing at 45mph, even though is seems to be a lower speed.....it sucks just the same!

LOL

Kim

wonder91178 said:
Thanks Tourmeister!!

Actually I was interested in trying some Diadora, Gaerne, or Oxtar boots, just to be different, although I think I'd be hard pressed to find them in my size.

I also like the Teknic Speedstar boots but they are $400 :eek:

Kim

Hey Kim. Someone who posts on another site swears by the Oxtar Matrix boot. Depending on what you're looking in a boot, Diadora and Sidi also make great products.

Kudos to you Kim for your ability to get right back in there after that spill.

Squidward, I'd have to say that it must have been real tough watching your wife crash like that.

I know all about that hard wind stuff. I think I wore the left side of both tires completely smooth going west on 380 out of McKinney towards Denton a few weeks ago. I was being blown sideways by a strong 50+mph crosswind. Pretty scary stuff on a 400 pound VFR.

Anyways Kim, at least you have a great sight like this to keep you occupied while you're on the mend.

We'll see ya down the road!

fast_yellow said:
Anyways Kim, at least you have a great sight like this to keep you occupied while you're on the mend.

I hope ya'll don't get too bothered with me while I am going through severe 2-wheel withdrawal! LOL

I actually had Squidward take me around the block on the back of his tiller a couple of weeks ago because I missed being on a bike so much. That was a bad move, I was scared to death! I guess after being at the helm of the bike, the feeling of no control just freaked me out too much, even with trusting Squidward, hahahaha.

Kim

fast_yellow said:
Squidward, I'd have to say that it must have been real tough watching your wife crash like that.

It was the single worst feeling i've ever had in my life. There was nothing I could do to stop it. I had gone around the corner first and the wind was strong enough to push my fat pig of a TL1000R off it's line. When she came around and the wind gusted, she had no chance.

Sounds like yall have a neat little project going on there! Reading your story makes me want to go get some real motorcycle boots. Ive got some pretty tall boots that provide a lot more protection than tennis shoes but I would like some nice renforcment around the ankles.

Vee Dub Nut said:
Sounds like yall have a neat little project going on there! Reading your story makes me want to go get some real motorcycle boots. Ive got some pretty tall boots that provide a lot more protection than tennis shoes but I would like some nice renforcment around the ankles.

Yeah, my ankle just snapped between the foot peg and the shifter....that sucked. Me and Squidward were talking and wondered if the same thing would have happened in touring boots rather than something like a race boot.

I guess we shall never know!

Kim

Just wanted to share the latest with the Ninja being rebuilt...

The Ninja's Maiden Voyage!

She's alive! The Ninja is up and running and Squidward took her on her first ride since the crash...

No room for the airbox? Take it off!! :-D The Ninja now breathes through a K&N air filter...

DSCF0215.jpg

DSCF0216.jpg

DSCF0217.jpg

Stripped and ready to ride!

DSCF0218.jpg

DSCF0221.jpg

DSCF0220.jpg

DSCF0224.jpg

The tiller wishes the ninja good luck...

DSCF0223.jpg

She runs! Woot!

DSCF0219.jpg

Squidward dresses the squidly part for a ride down the street (What's that? No headlight? No license plate? Isn't that illegal? :-P )...

DSCF0226.jpg

Here he goes!

DSCF0227.jpg

DSCF0228.jpg

DSCF0229.jpg

He arrives back home safely....(dammit, no insurance for me!)...

DSCF0230.jpg

Mini burnout! Hahahaha....

DSCF0231.jpg

Ok, Squidward will be along to explain everything, it's freakin' loud with the air filter, he says it's officially louder than the tiller, we shall see! :-D

Kim

It's mechanically sound, so now it is time to finish altering the bodywork, tear it all back down, clean up the welds, paint the frame, get the Muzzy and modify it into a high mount, adjust the valves, put it all back together, rejet, synch carbs, and throw it on the Dyno at Piper's. No matter how much gets done, there is always more to go.

Oh yeah, and the air filter sucking in atmosphere is frickin' loud. My nuts were afraid of the snarling sound right below the seat.

Looking good, maybe you need to put a "shield "over the top of the air filter so it doesn't suck things in that it shouldn't, of course if Kim is riding it, then no worries :mrgreen:

Amazing how much noise is generated by an open intake, I found that out with a 351 H.O. in a 71 Ranchero GT long ago.

bluedogok said:
Looking good, maybe you need to put a "shield "over the top of the air filter so it doesn't suck things in that it shouldn't, f course if Kim is riding it, then no worries :mrgreen:

Amazing how much noise is generated by an open intake, I found that out with a 351 H.O. in a 71 Ranchero GT long ago.

I'll bebuilding an aluminum "airbox" to shield the K&N from the elements.

Back