PDA

View Full Version : 1250 Bandit Fork Brace

PhilS
03-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi Guys:

I "actually" searched the Bandit Forum for "Brace" and come up with nothing, thus, this thread seemed to be OK to post.

Anyone mounted a fork brace on thier bike yet? A buddy of mine who rides a Connie put on one and it tightened things up a bit especially when hitting freeway bridge gaps and so on. I am not looking for anything to cure flexing at Superbike speeds and angles as I do not ride like that, but, if it is a good noticeable difference for normal sporty touring riding, I'd like to try it.

Dale's is only $150 and looks great. See it at http://www.holeshot.com/Bandit_1250/1250_superbrace.shtml.

Thoughts anyone?

AXEL
03-15-2008, 07:04 PM
I recently installed one of Dale's forkbraces but at this point I can't tell much difference. Once the roads are free of salt and sand maybe I'll be able to give a better evaluation. While I doubt I'll see the same degree of improvement your pal with the Concours is experiencing, I should see a moderate improvement in the steering response and precision. What has made an immediate and noticeable improvement was the addition of the Racetech springs and Goldvalves. I'm pretty happy with the results, less brake dive, but a smoother ride over the sharp edged bumps. You might consider this route first.

PhilS
03-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Can you explain the process and/or headache to install these things?

terrebandit
03-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Can you explain the process and/or headache to install these things?

they are easy to install. just bolt it on.

Dales braces for the 2nd gen bikes (and apparently the latest version) are not one solid piece making them less effective at stabilizing the forks. However, for most guys they are just bling because few push their bikes to the point where they can feel the difference. I don't feel much of a difference on mine.

Dave

bones
03-17-2008, 09:07 AM
I don't see a need for one of these yet.....could be wrong. I need t adjust the snot out of this suspension first before spending a dime on other possible bandaids. Anyone have some baseline data to start at front and rear for a 6', 175 pound rider with maybe 50 pounds of gear in the GIVI trunk and a large bag.

Roy
03-17-2008, 09:35 AM
I have not seen the need for one either and I run sticky Pilot Powers and front brake like a maniac.:mrgreen:

cruizer
03-17-2008, 10:42 AM
[/QUOTE]However, for most guys they are just bling because few push their bikes to the point where they can feel the difference. I don't feel much of a difference on mine.[/QUOTE]

I put one on my 1250 and I've found that riding by myself this is largely true. I ride two up a lot with my wife and she has no problem moving along at a fast clip and this is where I DO notice a difference. With the added weight the suspension would get overwhelmed at times around corners with dips, bumps, etc...the forkbrace made a definite improvement in this case.

TWTim
03-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi Guys:

I "actually" searched the Bandit Forum for "Brace" and come up with nothing, thus, this thread seemed to be OK to post.

Anyone mounted a fork brace on thier bike yet? A buddy of mine who rides a Connie put on one and it tightened things up a bit especially when hitting freeway bridge gaps and so on. I am not looking for anything to cure flexing at Superbike speeds and angles as I do not ride like that, but, if it is a good noticeable difference for normal sporty touring riding, I'd like to try it.

Dale's is only $150 and looks great. See it at http://www.holeshot.com/Bandit_1250/1250_superbrace.shtml.

Thoughts anyone?

I understand that Holeshot Engineering makes good products. They also have a fork brace for my Z-Rex (http://www.holeshot.com/old/zrx11/zrx_fork_brace.html) which I'm considering.

suzukijo
03-23-2008, 09:16 PM
....snip by suzukijo...the forkbrace made a definite improvement in this case.[/QUOTE]

can you tell us just how the improvement was made? (the bike went into a wobble before, now it doesnt/ i could see the fork flex, now it doesnt) or some other description, describing whats what.

i'm thinking about one, but dont know what it would solve?

cruizer
03-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Sorry suzukijo I've been out of town a few days.

Simply put...without the fork brace the bars would develop a slight back and forth wobble when I would hit decent size dips or bumps in turns when leaned over pretty good at speed with my wife on back which in turn would induce some frame flexing...nothing scary, but noticeable. That's why I added the brace. I'm not a frame engineer by any stretch of the imagination but it appears the front was flexing just enough under certain circumstances with the added weight to induce a wiggle. It made a difference on my bike the way I ride and that is what matters.

Most people that I've ridden with don't ride as hard with a passenger as I do, (my wife loves it) so it probably wouldn't be an issue. As far as riding solo...it FEELS more solid as well in all situations to me, but I'll just leave that statement as is. The bike is excellent out of the box so for most people the brace helping or not will be strictly subjective I'm sure. As a bonus it is a high quality piece and looks great too.

It wasn't such a big deal I couldn't live with it, but I thought the brace might help, and in my case it did. No more wobble.

Cruizer

dwoodul
03-29-2008, 06:53 AM
Cruizer - Did you go with a SuperBrace or a Holeshot brace? I believe the SuperBrace is a solid 1-piece unit. At least the ones I added to my Magna and Spirit were. I would think the solid brace would be better. The brace made a difference on both my older bikes. Handeling seemed a little more solid - the Spirit seemed smoother with a fork brace??

Thx, Ol Dave

cruizer
03-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Cruizer - Did you go with a SuperBrace or a Holeshot brace? I believe the SuperBrace is a solid 1-piece unit. At least the ones I added to my Magna and Spirit were. I would think the solid brace would be better. The brace made a difference on both my older bikes. Handeling seemed a little more solid - the Spirit seemed smoother with a fork brace??

Thx, Ol Dave

I went with the Dale's Holeshot brace. Since I haven't experienced both braces on the same bike I couldn't say if one is superior over the other. I can say that the Holeshot brace is is made to some pretty close tolerances so I would think any movement in the brace would be minimal if any at all.

I also like the ability to remove the center part of the brace to take the fender off without having to disturb the clamp at the fork tubes. It makes it really simple to work on without having to re-align or adjust. They are both hight quality pieces but I thinks Dale's version might be a bit more user friendly. If you look at it you can see that he addressed the rigidity/stiffeness issue pretty well in the design. Nice tight fit with 4 bolts in a countersink hole...not going to move.

AXEL
03-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Now that I've had a chance to ride a bit I have noticed an improvement with Dale's forkbrace. It's pretty much as expected, a quicker, more responsive feel in the steering. Biike just feels tighter and more precise. It's not a huge difference. Not like adding one to a bike with skinny 37mm fork tubes. But it is noticeable and I'm happy with the results. As far as one brand being stronger than the other, I don't think it's an issue. Dale's is a high quality product, it looks good, installs easy, and has good product support.

Now I'm thinking, if I get rid of those handlebar mounting dampers I might improve the feel even more.

SoCalBandit
04-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Cruizer - Did you go with a SuperBrace or a Holeshot brace? I believe the SuperBrace is a solid 1-piece unit. At least the ones I added to my Magna and Spirit were. I would think the solid brace would be better.
You mean two piece right? You can't have a 1-piece brace, it has to at least split in half to come apart.
I had a SUPERBRACE on my ZRX and it was 2 piece.

sproggy
04-07-2008, 09:11 AM
You mean two piece right? You can't have a 1-piece brace, it has to at least split in half to come apart.

I had a big cast aluminium 1-piece brace on a Guzzi Spada. You had to remove the forks from the bike to fit/remove it. No-one I spoke to had the faintest idea what make it was but it made a **** of a difference, particularly with a chair attached.

They do exist.....and the fewer pieces the stiffer it's likely/able to be.

SoCalBandit
04-07-2008, 11:56 AM
I had a big cast aluminium 1-piece brace on a Guzzi Spada. You had to remove the forks from the bike to fit/remove it. No-one I spoke to had the faintest idea what make it was but it made a **** of a difference, particularly with a chair attached.

They do exist.....and the fewer pieces the stiffer it's likely/able to be.

Man what a **** install.....you would think that would lower his sales opportunities if everyone else at least made a 2 piece.
You're right though, a 5 piece brace will flex more than a 2 piece or solid, makes sense to me.

PhilS
10-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi all:

I am about to get the Holeshot brace shipped to me and will be putting it on soon. It looks like a nice straight-forward bolt on project, but is there any trick to getting the dust caps off? I think they twist and pull straight up and then they will be cut and destroyed as I am NOT in the mood or will be anytime soon to remove the forks again just to save a $13 part!

Install - easy???

Frito Bandito
10-19-2009, 09:30 PM
If you're talking about the plastic fork protectors, I just used a box cutter, and sliced right through it. After those are off, it's a simple bolt on.

Fittysom'n
10-19-2009, 10:56 PM
I just snipped 'em off with tin snips..... pains me, 'cause I really don't want dried bug guts on my tubes and slicing my seals. Just hafta clean my tubes often.....

But let me tell you, the addition of a (Holeshot) fork brace to my bike made a big difference. I wouldn't have expected it to make such a significant difference, I even think some of it is psychological.

But it tracks straighter, the action of my tubes 'feel' smoother, and it seems to hold a line better through the turns. Convinced me, money well spent!

Frito Bandito
10-20-2009, 02:25 AM
pains me, 'cause I really don't want dried bug guts on my tubes and slicing my seals. Just hafta clean my tubes often.....A little shorter, but mine are back on. CLICK (http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40237&highlight=fork)

RTL
10-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Installed a Richland Rick fork brace on my V-Strom and the difference in handling was very noticable. Now the V-Strom does have longer fork travel than the Bandit so it benefits more from the stiffening. The brace was only $80 and quite easy to install!

Fittysom'n
10-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Oooh, good idea! I'm glad I didn't throw mine away, gonna work on that.....

mi1lertm
10-22-2009, 09:57 PM
I have not seen the need for one either and I run sticky Pilot Powers and front brake like a maniac.:mrgreen:

Odd, with such a sticky tire you should really feel the flex on this bike. I must admit that I did not notice much flex with mine, but once I got on a stiff bike I almost thought my bike was unsafe (little bit over the top). Get on a VFR or GSXR and then ride yours around some corners. This bike flexes like a bandit. Fork brace was one of the best things I got for my bike. I notice it much more when I have to flick (bandit is more like fllliiiiiccccckkk) from side to side. Best $150 that I have put on it. My $0.02

Mark

PhilS
10-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi Guys:

Bought this from JPB who sold his Bandit and sold off the accessories. I took
the idea of re-attaching the fork protectors but the jury is still out on this
one as I may just leave them open........

Thanks Jeff for the deal. Ride report in a couple weeks or less.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/HoleshotForkBrace001.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/HoleshotForkBrace003.jpg

dekenai
11-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Just fitted the Holeshot brace to my 1250 and to me it makes a big difference. Seems very noticeable trail braking hard into corners, without the brace the transition off the brakes was unsettling...maybe like as the flex came out of the forks there was change in the geometry or something? Don't know, but now it goes from braking to cornering with a really stable feel through the whole maneuver. Also, seems like the forks are more compliant with the 1.1 kg/mm springs. Overall it seems to make a lot more difference than I was counting on.

Regards

PhilS
11-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Here's a small ride report on the Holeshot Forkbrace.

My set up is this:

11,900 miles
Avon Storm ST's F/R with 8000 miles front and 5000 miles rear (nail issues twice!!)
Holeshot/Cogent Rear Shock Heavy Spring
Cogent Modified Front Forks with Racetech/Cogent/Holeshot 1.1's and GV's
Now adding the Holeshot Forkbrace

Before w/o the FB: Going over bumps in roads or bridge transitions I felt a rattle/clicking/bumping but knowing all was fine. In heavy turns while diving in I would feel a bit of a wobble out of the front end. Two up traveling the bike was fine, but it simply did not feel solid. Overall, the bike was good but it lacked a oneness feeling, lacking a real solid feel.

After w/FB: Going over any bumps or transitions the bike now feels solid - it has that oneness feeling I wanted. Diving into turns the wobble is gone - period. No two up riding yet.

Bottom line - I spent money in the wrong order. I spent it on horsepower parts, cosmetic stuff, etc, etc, etc. If I could do this all over again, and I will on bike #2, I will update the suspension F/R first, then tires, then engine exhaust in that order.

It's worth the $150 (a lot less when you buy it used in perfect shape from ex-Bandit owners like I did). Buy one and improve the overall feel adn solidity of the bike.

Phil (self-proclaimed non-expert but learning :-P )

Fittysom'n
11-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I agree, if I had to do all over again.....:

* Drill a 1 1/2" hole in the air box lid and add a slip-on free flow muffler.

* Replace OEM front springs with Holeshot/custom Cogent Dynamics single rate springs.

* Stick that fork brace on.

* Adjust bars & seat accordingly.

- DONE -

If ya wanna spend money on increasing seat of the pants power, it only adds horsepower as seen on paper.... Increasing horsepower on a detuned machine does nothing to flatter the ALREADY fantastic low-end & mid-range torque. Having done it, I say save yer money.....

The rear shock is fully capable, functional, and good for a rider (and passenger or luggage) until it shows signs of leaking or not meeting up with your expectations. Most of the jarring ride originates up front, replacing the rear shock also adds comfort, but not as much as addressing the front end.

dekenai
11-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Bottom line - I spent money in the wrong order. I spent it on horsepower parts, cosmetic stuff, etc, etc, etc. If I could do this all over again, and I will on bike #2, I will update the suspension F/R first, then tires, then engine exhaust in that order.

+1 Phil, sorting the front end and tires are the most "needed" and cost effective $$$ I've spent on my 1250 so far...

Peter

BanditLou
03-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Phil, I just re-read this because I've had my brace for a while now and it's time to get it out of my goodie bin and install it. As always thanks for the pics.

Fittysom'n I've seen your comments about the things you would do over and notice you mention the hole in the air box lid. I've already installed a staintune muffler and blocked the pair line. The bandit can still use a little more air without adding fuel?

Thanks,

Lou

PhilS
03-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Phil, I just re-read this because I've had my brace for a while now and it's time to get it out of my goodie bin and install it. As always thanks for the pics.

:sun: You're welcome. I haven't been on the site much nor have I been on the bike much lately............looking forward to getting back on both.

Enjoy your brace (I guess you don't hear that too often in life, eh?)

Fittysom'n
03-28-2010, 12:42 AM
Lou,
I modified my 1250 after I had been running an after-market slip-on muffler for a month. The following month I drilled the 1" hole in my air box.... and removed the snorkel. I was sure UPS would be delivering my K&N air filter and Dobeck before my ride the following day.... NOT!

So I buttoned everything up with my factory air filter in place and no mapping (& 1" hole sans snorkel), and had one HECK of a fun ride the following day; the Bandit ran GREAT! I believe the purpose of the snorkel and restrictive air box is for EPA "green" noise restrictions; were they not there, the intake noise would not have passed the measured noise limitations.

I think it is well within the capabilites of the factory fuel injection to adjust to the additional air.... not much more, but easily with the additional air that a one inch hole provides. You can disconnect the battery for thirty seconds after the mod, and the ECU will adjust itself accordingly upon riding..... but it will have done that after "learning" your riding hapits even without resetting via a disconnect.....

Please keep in mind that I'm no tech, may not know what the heck I'm talking about, and could be a twelve year old girl in Amarillo posing as a biker over the Internet......
:rider:

BanditLou
03-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks Phil I will. The only thing that beats a box of goodies waiting to be installed is actually getting them installed.:rider:

And thanks fittysom'n or whoever you are :shock: I suppose that without fancy equipment if it seems to run better a guy could just monitor his plug condition to make sure it's not too lean.

I was interested in your comments because I haven't done any of the engine performance mods yet and I'm still debating. I would love to have Dale's header someday to go with my muffler it looks great and is much lighter but I think that the bike has plenty of power to get me in trouble now. I must be getting old I guess.

MetrickMetal
03-28-2010, 11:43 AM
The reason behind having a 3 piece fork brace as opposed to a 1 piece fork brace is to allow the brace to be adjusted on any bike of that model in order to eliminate any chance of the forks to binding up due to very slight differences in the C/C distances between the fork tubes and the fork brace.

If you have a solid fork brace and there is enough difference between the C/C distance between the fork tubes and a one piece fork brace, it is going to push or pull the forks together which can induce a lot of stiction in the forks compromising the action of the forks and making them much less responsive to bumps in the road while also accelerating the wear of your fork bushings and seals. :rider: