• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1250 SA Screen help

fog

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Foster
Hi I have just purchased a 1250 SA I am very pleased with the bike but need better wind protection I have looked through various threads and some owners have mentioned the Suzuki touring screen 990A0 30000 this is not available in the UK yet so I would have to get one from the states and ship it to the UK, before I do has any one fitted this screen to their bike and is it an improvement over the stock screen? I am 5ft 11” and seem to get blown around:eek2: . I am reluctant to buy a Givi screen because I have fitted these to other bikes and they are very noisy.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Keep up the great work, wish I could ship bike and ride your roads for a month or two looks great:rider:

Hi I have just purchased a 1250 SA I am very pleased with the bike but need better wind protection I have looked through various threads and some owners have mentioned the Suzuki touring screen 990A0 30000 this is not available in the UK yet so I would have to get one from the states and ship it to the UK, before I do has any one fitted this screen to their bike and is it an improvement over the stock screen? I am 5ft 11” and seem to get blown around:eek2: . I am reluctant to buy a Givi screen because I have fitted these to other bikes and they are very noisy.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Keep up the great work, wish I could ship bike and ride your roads for a month or two looks great:rider:

Welcome to the site as well.

I only have experience with the Givi. I like it as it makes the wind hit me mid-helmet and it's tinted - so it looks good.

Search this forum - many many many thoughts and opinions on screens.

I need one also. 6' tall and a powerbonz I have is worthless to me. The minimal extra bubble is maybe 1.5" over stock.

This topic is tough to get a good idea on what will work for you since everyones wants/needs are different.

I need something taller, tinted and prefer a lip a the top to get wind over me as much as possible. My neck is killing me from this past weekends ride. I have no idea where to go from here. Tired of spending money on this bike right now.

Suzuki
Holeshot, tint is too light for me personally
GIVI
??

I just installed a Givi screen after 4,000 miles with the OEM screen. Night and day difference. Wind now goes over my head (5ft 7in) instead of in my chest. Rode recently in 27 degree weather and my eyes didn't tear up due to wind. Wish I'd changed the screen the first day I got my Bandit.:doh:

Welcome fog -

Givi here also - love it. Got it 2-weeks after I bought the bike. Doesn't seem too noisy. About 5in higher than stock, tinted and has the "lip" at the top. I've started wearing ear protection (plugs) so any noise is even less annoying.
One member here said his Givi cracked (included pictures). I've had mine for 2months now with no issues.

Regards,

Ol Dave

Thanks guys I have just ordered the Suzuki Touring screen from a dealer in the States I have not got a clue if it will be an improvement but I hope so because it is the only thing spoiling the bike. I will keep you posted, in the meanwhile thanks guys for the advice. Have just tried to fit a hugger, I got second hand of EBay, but it does not sit right I will need to see if I can make a new bracket that fits better, that will teach me to buy used.:doh: Regards Mike

I need one also. 6' tall and a powerbonz I have is worthless to me. The minimal extra bubble is maybe 1.5" over stock.

This topic is tough to get a good idea on what will work for you since everyones wants/needs are different.

I need something taller, tinted and prefer a lip a the top to get wind over me as much as possible. My neck is killing me from this past weekends ride. I have no idea where to go from here. Tired of spending money on this bike right now.

Suzuki
Holeshot, tint is too light for me personally
GIVI
??
The guy on ebay is going to exchange mine for a 4" taller one from powerbonz also. If that don't cut it, nothing will. :lol2:

I know you made your decision and hope the Zuke screen works out for you. I rode the Bandit for 4500mi before making a switch; got the Skidmarx. It's working out well for me (5' 9" 30" inseam). Not only does it remove near 100% of air off chest and heavy buffeting at higher speeds, but it also pushes the air outward to the sides better with it barely brushing the shoulders. The air over top hits me square in the face shield but it does NOT buffet as much a with stocker... can't explain that, and it's still quieter and less fatiguing on long hauls. Air just seems to bounce around side of helmet rather than try to go over top which would leverage your head back more probably. I can tuck my head just a tad and get completely out of air which will work great if caught in rain. Before I had to lay my chest on the tank to get out of rain blast. I didn' want a taller screen primarily because of aesthetics. Only negative was it was a bit of pain on the very last part (upper right) of fitting to fairing. I'm so used to naked bikes, almost any fairing or windscreen is a blessing. Hope this is helpful to others in making a decision for swap.

Sheep, do you have your seat in the high or low position? My Skidmarx screen was fine with the low seat but now I've raised it (for improved leg comfort - I have a 30" inseam but my knees were causing problems) I find it much less effective. I guess that wasn't helped by a sudden 30 degree drop in temperatures here the day after I raised the seat.....

And regarding problems with the top right corner of the screen, I struggled a bit to get that lined up too - it doesn't fit nearly as well as the stock screen and therefore causes a few cockpit rattles.

For the above reasons as well as aesthetics I'm planning to change to the Suzuki touring screen.

My Suzuki Db screen did not fit as well as the OEM unit left side lower mount was a pain to line up. The Givi unit I had fit as good as the OEM screen.

Sheep, do you have your seat in the high or low position? My Skidmarx screen was fine with the low seat but now I've raised it (for improved leg comfort - I have a 30" inseam but my knees were causing problems) I find it much less effective. I guess that wasn't helped by a sudden 30 degree drop in temperatures here the day after I raised the seat.....

And regarding problems with the top right corner of the screen, I struggled a bit to get that lined up too - it doesn't fit nearly as well as the stock screen and therefore causes a few cockpit rattles.

For the above reasons as well as aesthetics I'm planning to change to the Suzuki touring screen.

I've left my seat as delivered, which is supposed to be the low position. Everything about the bike fits me perfectly. I have no rattles whatsoever with the Skidmarx or shaking at speed, 90 so far. It's hugely better than OEM piece (for me) but have nothing else to compare it to so can't comment with regard to other brands.

my skidmarx db did not fit. i had to trim tabs in all positions. sitting in the sun, its shape acted like a magnifying glass and melted inst housing and dash, before i realised what was happening, and now i have to cover instruments if bike is left parked.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23443

#12 shows how off the skidmarx really is, if yours did not fit on one side, it was like mine, the side that does not fit is both sides. you only notice it when you try to put both sides in place. i would assume most are right handed, so we install left side first, then the right side is the problem lining up. carefull examination of the item, how it fit, showed the reasons for not fitting.
sure one can jam it in place, and at least one person has posted his fit fine. i bet if it is removed, and checked for fretting, it is exactly as shown in pictures above.

the needed clearance is easily modified with a hand grinder.
the melting of the plastic dash is anohter story.

I've left my seat as delivered, which is supposed to be the low position. Everything about the bike fits me perfectly. I have no rattles whatsoever with the Skidmarx or shaking at speed, 90 so far. It's hugely better than OEM piece (for me) but have nothing else to compare it to so can't comment with regard to other brands.

Hi Sheep I have just imported and fitted the DB Suzuki touring screen, it took no longer than 15 mins to fit, it went into place with no problem and it is 10 times better than the stock screen. Last week on a ride out I swapped with a pal and rode his new VFR I expected that the VFR would be far superior in the screen department but I can say it was only marginally better. So overall very pleased with the screen, IMO it also looks much smarter than the tall screens available.

my skidmarx db did not fit. i had to trim tabs in all positions. sitting in the sun, its shape acted like a magnifying glass and melted inst housing and dash, before i realised what was happening, and now i have to cover instruments if bike is left parked.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23443

#12 shows how off the skidmarx really is, if yours did not fit on one side, it was like mine, the side that does not fit is both sides. you only notice it when you try to put both sides in place. i would assume most are right handed, so we install left side first, then the right side is the problem lining up. carefull examination of the item, how it fit, showed the reasons for not fitting.
sure one can jam it in place, and at least one person has posted his fit fine. i bet if it is removed, and checked for fretting, it is exactly as shown in pictures above.

the needed clearance is easily modified with a hand grinder.
the melting of the plastic dash is anohter story.

If only we had enough sun here for the melting issue to be of concern.....

But you're right about the rest - about how the Skidmarx can be 'made' to fit. I've just taken it off and re-fitted the stock screen for comparison and the Skidmarx will need a fair amount of work as you reported to make it fit properly. I may just go for the Suzuki one instead.

my skidmarx db did not fit. i had to trim tabs in all positions.....

SJ,
I had seen your grinding post before I installed mine and figured I'd have to do same but test fit seemed OK. I just needed another pair of hands to pull the right side over (yup, starting at either side probably wouldn't have made a difference) to line it up with last bolt hole, in other words "spread it apart". They're not allowing these to cool more slowly in molds before pulling. Obviously other manuf'rs are doing something better. Had bike at 110mph yesterday and it's still rock steady with no vibrations/rattles/shaking.

Good heads up on the melting: I'll be very careful about leaving this out in direct sunlight; if the other versions have similar dub-bub shape, I'd think folks need to watch out for theirs also.

A new thread could have been started with this but honestly I didn't see the point.

A while back, either on this forum or another, I remember reading about someone using a touring type taller screen, possibly a Givi or Powerbronze, along with a Laminar lip.
Not the Vario, which to me looks like those old wind deflectors you would see on the hood of an ’83 GMC pickup. No offence to anyone. It’s just not a look that works for me.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What are the drawbacks from using those 2 items together?

Thoughts, comments, concerns and 2 cent opinions appreciated.

I plan to buy the MRA touring screen with the adjustable lip from twisted throttle. I would love to hear from anyone who has ridden with this screen.
Thanks,
Vince

vamacher,

There was an earlier in-depth review of the MRA vario-touring screen. I think it's buried in the mega-thread if I remember correctly. But I'll give you a short review as I agreed with most of what it said.

The screen doesn't exactly create a "bubble" of protection from wind as others do, however it does cut down on the amount of wind hitting you. For me personally, the stock shield was intolerable because it was creating a wind force against my helmet that was hurting my neck from have to force my head against the wind. The vario-touring screen definitely solved this problem. It pretty simple to understand what the lip does. Without the lip, the windshield is about the same as the stock. With the lip it's a few inches taller. A little bit of wind goes between the shield and the lip, and still hits you, while more wind is deflected a little higher because of the lip.

The only problem that I had with the review that was in the mega-thread was it's discussion of the lip in the different height positions. Personally, I can't see any reason to the lip in any other position than the highest. In the lowest, it's pretty much the same as stock and is useless. And it's not really visually obstructive to me. Actually I kinda like the way it looks like a frontal spoiler or whatever.

-Mike

At 5' 9" and a 30" inseam also, I found the stock windscreen to be very bad for anything over 50 mph traveling with the air hitting me dead center in the chest area. I ordered a Double bubble from Twisted Throttle along with a luggage rack but they were back ordered. So got a 4" over PB off Ebay to try out. This moved the air contact to mid helmet but it was clean flowing air. A great improvement over the stock set up for me. I'd still like it a few more inches higher but will wait on the Corbin seat I have on order to see where that places me in relation to the windflow before making any more decisions in that area. From what I've been reading , the double bubble doesn't do as good a job as the 4" over PB so may be selling it when it comes in. No use keeping it on the shelf if I'm not going to use it. ;-)..

I plan to buy the MRA touring screen with the adjustable lip from twisted throttle. I would love to hear from anyone who has ridden with this screen.
Thanks,
Vince
It didn't work for me and I've since sold it on and got a Givi. The problem with screens is that the pressure and noise resulting from wind flow over the screen affects riders differently depending on their torso height and also the type of helmet they wear and how susceptible that is to generating noise. Most people end up choosing screens by trial and error. What works for me won't necessarily work for you and vice versa.

Would the Givi screen be taller than the Power Bronze from England? I would love the air to be hitting me a few inches higher than in the middle of my face shield.

Back