PDA

View Full Version : atx to big bend and back on a uly

portero72
03-16-2008, 06:02 PM
and yes, many dirt roads out near terlingua. this bike has waayyy more potential than I have skill. enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/gp/9505804@N03/7i24CS

treysmagna
03-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Awesome! I want to ride mine out there some time. I think I might ride the DR over there after the TAR

Howler
03-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Cool pics. I've been wanting to take the Uly out there for a while. I've been camping, jeeping and ridden a street bike down there but haven't had a chance to ride the Uly yet.

chadleys1
03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
SWEET !
I want to hear some stories this Thursday night at the Buell group meeting.
Good Job!

DaveC
03-16-2008, 07:38 PM
:clap:

How was the Uly on the dirt roads?

chadleys1
03-16-2008, 07:46 PM
great pictures bud

I saved a couple of them.

portero72
03-17-2008, 09:54 PM
:clap:

How was the Uly on the dirt roads?

I'll start by saying this-the Uly has wayyyy more potential than I have skill. Being a dirt newbie, the long rides in the dirt were quite tiring, as I am still learning the finer points of standing up on the pegs, leaning out on the turns, forward for climbing, back for downhill, etc. The uly is also heavy for a dirty bike. I bought the 'dualsport riding techniques' dvd from Ned Suesse and it has really helped alot. Still, the bike performed flawlessly, the suspension was awesome, onroad or off. I need to get my butt in shape, as I'll be doing Copper Canyon in May. Wish me luck!

pschramm
03-17-2008, 10:01 PM
what was the route? any gpx or gps files to share? I'm doing it this weekend .. love that ride.. curious what route you took -

patrick

portero72
03-17-2008, 10:07 PM
what was the route? any gpx or gps files to share? I'm doing it this weekend .. love that ride.. curious what route you took -

patrick

No gps points, but I DID manage to ride the '3 sisters' out near Bandera and Medina. I took as much of the hill country as I could on my way out to Del Rio-my 1st stop for the evening. As for Terlingua itself, before you get to the ghost ranch on 170, there's a turnoff to your right called 'south county rd', i believe. Just follow that out, and it leads you to, literally, hundreds of miles of unimproved roads out that way. That's where we camped and rode. good luck.

portero72
03-17-2008, 10:12 PM

patrick

ps-I took almost all small county roads on the way out and back-shoot me a pm and i'll try to pull out my route plan-it was nice.

BlueBuell
03-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the photos - can't wait to hear more!
I want to make a ride to Dell City in west texas and continue into New Mexico.
Perhaps this Thanksgiving....

Tumper
03-25-2008, 01:47 PM
I'll start by saying this-the Uly has wayyyy more potential than I have skill. Being a dirt newbie, the long rides in the dirt were quite tiring, as I am still learning the finer points of standing up on the pegs, leaning out on the turns, forward for climbing, back for downhill, etc. The uly is also heavy for a dirty bike. I bought the 'dualsport riding techniques' dvd from Ned Suesse and it has really helped alot. Still, the bike performed flawlessly, the suspension was awesome, onroad or off. I need to get my butt in shape, as I'll be doing Copper Canyon in May. Wish me luck!

The Uly is really more of an adventure tourer than a dual sport, so that is a pretty tough challenge learning to ride the dirt on a street bike with dual sport tires(and longer supension)...Kudos to you!!

portero72
03-26-2008, 11:47 AM
The Uly is really more of an adventure tourer than a dual sport, so that is a pretty tough challenge learning to ride the dirt on a street bike with dual sport tires(and longer supension)...Kudos to you!!

You, sir, are correct!! That thing's a bear in the rough stuff....mark

chadleys1
03-30-2008, 10:55 PM

I agree, it's definitely not a dualsport bike. It is, however, a super fun ride on a caliche or dirt road, and will handle bumps better than any other sportbike. It is after all, a sportbike, a sportbike with a couple of extra inches of extra suspension travel and a big seat.

I love my Ulysses... almost as much as my dualsport bike.

haha-just having fun, Mark. I haven't heard from you since your trip.

-Chadley

portero72
03-31-2008, 11:42 AM
I agree, it's definitely not a dualsport bike. It is, however, a super fun ride on a caliche or dirt road, and will handle bumps better than any other sportbike. It is after all, a sportbike, a sportbike with a couple of extra inches of extra suspension travel and a big seat.

I love my Ulysses... almost as much as my dualsport bike.

haha-just having fun, Mark. I haven't heard from you since your trip.

-Chadley

Oh, I've been around, Sir C....weather permitting, I'll be at Opal's this week. Can't wait for Copper Canyon!!! md

chadleys1
04-01-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm jealous.:doh: