• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

atx to big bend and back on a uly

Awesome! I want to ride mine out there some time. I think I might ride the DR over there after the TAR

Cool pics. I've been wanting to take the Uly out there for a while. I've been camping, jeeping and ridden a street bike down there but haven't had a chance to ride the Uly yet.

SWEET !
I want to hear some stories this Thursday night at the Buell group meeting.
Good Job!

:clap:

How was the Uly on the dirt roads?

I'll start by saying this-the Uly has wayyyy more potential than I have skill. Being a dirt newbie, the long rides in the dirt were quite tiring, as I am still learning the finer points of standing up on the pegs, leaning out on the turns, forward for climbing, back for downhill, etc. The uly is also heavy for a dirty bike. I bought the 'dualsport riding techniques' dvd from Ned Suesse and it has really helped alot. Still, the bike performed flawlessly, the suspension was awesome, onroad or off. I need to get my butt in shape, as I'll be doing Copper Canyon in May. Wish me luck!

what was the route? any gpx or gps files to share? I'm doing it this weekend .. love that ride.. curious what route you took -

patrick

what was the route? any gpx or gps files to share? I'm doing it this weekend .. love that ride.. curious what route you took -

patrick

No gps points, but I DID manage to ride the '3 sisters' out near Bandera and Medina. I took as much of the hill country as I could on my way out to Del Rio-my 1st stop for the evening. As for Terlingua itself, before you get to the ghost ranch on 170, there's a turnoff to your right called 'south county rd', i believe. Just follow that out, and it leads you to, literally, hundreds of miles of unimproved roads out that way. That's where we camped and rode. good luck.

patrick

ps-I took almost all small county roads on the way out and back-shoot me a pm and i'll try to pull out my route plan-it was nice.

Thanks for the photos - can't wait to hear more!
I want to make a ride to Dell City in west texas and continue into New Mexico.
Perhaps this Thanksgiving....

I'll start by saying this-the Uly has wayyyy more potential than I have skill. Being a dirt newbie, the long rides in the dirt were quite tiring, as I am still learning the finer points of standing up on the pegs, leaning out on the turns, forward for climbing, back for downhill, etc. The uly is also heavy for a dirty bike. I bought the 'dualsport riding techniques' dvd from Ned Suesse and it has really helped alot. Still, the bike performed flawlessly, the suspension was awesome, onroad or off. I need to get my butt in shape, as I'll be doing Copper Canyon in May. Wish me luck!

The Uly is really more of an adventure tourer than a dual sport, so that is a pretty tough challenge learning to ride the dirt on a street bike with dual sport tires(and longer supension)...Kudos to you!!

The Uly is really more of an adventure tourer than a dual sport, so that is a pretty tough challenge learning to ride the dirt on a street bike with dual sport tires(and longer supension)...Kudos to you!!

You, sir, are correct!! That thing's a bear in the rough stuff....mark

I agree, it's definitely not a dualsport bike. It is, however, a super fun ride on a caliche or dirt road, and will handle bumps better than any other sportbike. It is after all, a sportbike, a sportbike with a couple of extra inches of extra suspension travel and a big seat.

I love my Ulysses... almost as much as my dualsport bike.

haha-just having fun, Mark. I haven't heard from you since your trip.

-Chadley

I agree, it's definitely not a dualsport bike. It is, however, a super fun ride on a caliche or dirt road, and will handle bumps better than any other sportbike. It is after all, a sportbike, a sportbike with a couple of extra inches of extra suspension travel and a big seat.

I love my Ulysses... almost as much as my dualsport bike.

haha-just having fun, Mark. I haven't heard from you since your trip.

-Chadley

Oh, I've been around, Sir C....weather permitting, I'll be at Opal's this week. Can't wait for Copper Canyon!!! md

Back