• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SHNF is OPEN

phm14

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Last Name
McCann
Oh **** yeah:eek2: My daughter is visiting this weekend-doing the Easter deal with the family. I'm planning to hit SHNF Monday or Tuesday next week. All comers welcome:rider:

May want to try to hit it before it rains sat eve/sunday. Not exactly sure when the rains are coming. :)

Decided I can't wait:twisted: -leaving from Copperfield in 15 min. Cell is 713.412.1235 if anyone else makes it.:pirate:

I called the hotline yesterday at 4 pm and SHNF is closed.:argh: Just my luck.

Oh well, I went back to CCP today...just got home. Bike is muddy again, but not like last week. One washout all day because I was jacking around on the little oval track next to the sand hill testing some suspension tweaks. A little better but still not good enough. Hit all the loops except #3. Hit #7 and #7.5 three times. Good weather, good ride and almost 38 miles. Wife came back to town from a business trip so I cut the day short. Just took my sweet ole time nd enjoyed the scenery. Cows and calfs were out in full force. Had to wait it out a couple of times.

The solitude was relaxing. Lots of families there on play bikes today. Saw a 8 y.o on a Honda Foreman accidentally get lead thumb in a panic and roll it on top of himself. Got cut up by barbed wire. Quad wouldn't fit down the trail but the idiot dad was insistent that it would fit. Got up on two wheels, kid gripped with his right hand to stay on and the throttle got pinned. That's all folks.:roll: Kid was ok except for some cuts and slices but getting the upside down quad out of the wire was a ****. Told the dad to get his kids some tall riding boots (instead of sneakers). The kid had a slice across his calf. 2 inches lower and his achilles tendon could have been sliced. Apparently dad is too stupid to understand the seriousness of such an injury.

That said...a good day.

Quad wouldn't fit down the trail but the idiot dad was insistent that it would fit.

Thats currently my biggest beef with the place, last time I was out there I was disappointed that some of the "single track" now resembled a forestry service road. Still a great place to ride but, get it while the getting's good; The quadbubbas are widening those trails daily.

I've got some stuff that I have to do Sat morning, but I may try to go out Sat afternoon or Sunday morning.

Cell 281-684-2981

Hmmm... I may have a ride in the forest on Monday. I'll post another thread if I can make it out.

Just called the Natl Forest and the recording says they are OPEN for your use and pleasure. :)

Had a great ride. If your bike's muddy-leave it. I took a look at one of the new bridges. It appeared to be steel, but a closer look and the trusses are fiberglass-pretty wild for a 40' span. I'll be looking to hit the trails again next week:rider:

Yeah, they have been doing some improvements. I believe they put in two of those fiberglass bridges but I have not been out there to check them out. :)

Had a great ride. If your bike's muddy-leave it. I took a look at one of the new bridges. It appeared to be steel, but a closer look and the trusses are fiberglass-pretty wild for a 40' span. I'll be looking to hit the trails again next week:rider:

Hey Bro....what trailhead did you use? We were at Kelly's Pond. Passed a couple guys riding orange, was that you?
Never did see a new bridge, but did manage to find some trails that seemed to not have been used in years. Basically, we did 51 miles today, most of the time I was lost as ****!:rider:

Happy Easter!!:)

Hey Bro....what trailhead did you use? We were at Kelly's Pond. Passed a couple guys riding orange, was that you?
Never did see a new bridge, but did manage to find some trails that seemed to not have been used in years. Basically, we did 51 miles today, most of the time I was lost as ****!:rider:

I parked on the east side-1st right after the ranger station, mainly because I was short on time Fri. Wasn't me-I ride blue. I'm the guy with the que ball skid lid @ CCP last Sat. Did you see a lot of traffic? Sat. was vehicle maintenance day for me. 3 oil changes + other stuff. Would much rather have been riding:rider: Anyone know if there's any area @ SHNF that's usually drier than the rest? I need to get some work done Mon., but will get another ride in by Thurs if the current forecast holds. I'm off to breakfast:eat: , then church:giveup:

Stephen, I MIGHT go out later on today. Not sure yet.

Pete, I think its kinda mixed up out there. It seems like the east side has some areas that are a bit low but I believe north and north east of the trailhead its a lil higher there and maybe way up NE of there. I know there are some pretty high areas and some low sloshy places on the west side as well. I would have to look at some data to see what is exactly higher ground. I know there are some areas but its been literally a year since I have ridden out there. I would have to ride a day to see whats what anymore. :)

Vaughn,

Went on a street ride this morning. The new 2-fiddy kicks bu-tay. Doing house projets now. Maybe next weekend.

K, I didnt get out either. But I did get new numberplate backgrounds on the klx minimotard. :)

Some photos taken during construction ...

269481144_fFHpL-L.jpg

269481243_ryZfP-L.jpg

269481352_uUfjb-L.jpg

269481465_kDJt3-L.jpg

269481576_VsJQd-L.jpg

269481702_W9zVZ-L.jpg

269481837_DB3iY-L.jpg

Cam (riding the ATV) is the leader of Trails Unlimited.

269481034_oxT3z-L.jpg

You didn't happen to notice the arched culvert crossing just east of the bridge ... at least the bridge by the pipeline easement, did you?

269481941_LPh4p-L.jpg

The bridges and the arched culvert crossings were constructed by Trails Unlimited while a bunch uf Forest Service personnel, Steve T. (TPWD OHV Rep) and myself took a class in trail design, layout and construction.

Be sure and stop by HQ and tell them thanks for the trail improvements.

Looked like a 1st rate job to me. Nice to see some pics. Thanks Guys :)

It's looking like Wed. or Thurs. before I get back out. 30% rain chance Fri. & Sat.

Great, figures it would finally reopen when I can't go anywhere for the next month or 2 :argh:

Nice bridge...there's a second one too?

Teeds...more info on the class on trail design and such please.

Stephen, I MIGHT go out later on today. Not sure yet.

Pete, I think its kinda mixed up out there. It seems like the east side has some areas that are a bit low but I believe north and north east of the trailhead its a lil higher there and maybe way up NE of there. I know there are some pretty high areas and some low sloshy places on the west side as well. I would have to look at some data to see what is exactly higher ground. I know there are some areas but its been literally a year since I have ridden out there. I would have to ride a day to see whats what anymore. :)

Thanks, Bags, looks like I'll just have to ride it all and see for my self:rider:

Back