• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Andes Mountains, Trip 3. Salta & Jujuy

Steep

Reaction score
This is the photo set from Curvy's and my third moto trip to the far northwestern part of Argentina in December. Once again, we are high in the Andes mountains, mainly in the provinces of Salta and Jujuy, within miles of Chile and Bolivia. The scenery here is much more like the Southwestern US and probably the most exciting for us. We got uncomfortably far from civilization (i.e. emergency help, or any help for that matter) and the roads were long, high and difficult which made it spectacular, scary and exhilirating. we rode the highest road in ARG at something around 13,000 feet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21920448@N04/sets/72157603482398006/detail/

We just returned from our 4th and last moto trip last week as we anticipate returning to the good ole US of A around Christmas. Since it will soon be winter here, we are selling the bikes now so we won't be rushed to dump them if we get short notice of our return later in the year. These pics will get posted in a couple of weeks.

For any of you that missed the first two trips, here are the links.

This is our first trip about this time last year to the middle/southern Andes Mountains of ARG in Patagonia. This is the lakes district and most heavenly place on earth. The scenery is indescribeable, see for yourself:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattandmarypics/sets/72157600051579882/detail/

Our second trip was just north of the first trip, again in the Andes in May of last year. We were in the heart of wine-making country, Mendoza, one of the largest and becoming one of the most valued wine regions in the world. We saw the highest mountain of the Andes on this trip, Aconcagua, at 22,841 feet. That's even higher than the second highest motorable pass in the world, which Curvy and I pedalled over on mountain bikes. That was in the Himalayas of Northern India and we went over the top at 18,000 feet. Have you figgerd out we like mountains yet??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattandmarypics/sets/72157600258903127/detail/

Enjoy!

Steep

Whoa Steep!!!! Outstanding pics!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
Arg. is beautiful!!:sun: The 1st set of pics looks remarkably similar to SW US but different in some way. Like I could tell you were somewhere else without knowing it before hand.
The 2nd set looks like the Garden of Eden. Look at that water! Glassy lakes and aqua blue streams untouched by tourism. The Dakar moving to S.A. will probably change that in a negative way. You're very fortunate to have seen it as it was meant to be seen.
The third set gave me a nose bleed just looking at 'em. That's some serious altitude.
You either have a knack for taking pictures or you have a very good camera!!:cool2: The captions were a real bonus as well.
Someday I will ride S.A. Hopefully before the condos, highways and garbage dumps move in.:storm:

Thanks for posting,
Rman......

Argentina is beautiful. The wife and I have been fortunate to travel many countries around the world and to be honest, all of them are beautiful. Some more than others, but I have found it easy to be inspired by what I have seen.

Our cameras are Canon Powershot digitals. Our photo skills have been honed over the years; when we go oooh or aaaahh based on what we see, we take a photo. 8^)

I have met many, many moto travellers here from all over the world, so they already know the benefits of seeing this continent via motos. Dakar will truly be a boost for tourism and as you say, I am happy to have seen it before it was "discovered"

Steep

This is the photo set from Curvy's and my third moto trip to the far northwestern part of Argentina in December....

Enjoy!

Steep

I want you to know, compadre, that you and your little adventures have inspired me to jump into a dual sport. I'm probably WAY too fat for the poor little suspension, but I'll be pickin' up a DRZ400s either this week or early next week.

Just got back last Sunday from hitting Big Bend with Moe and some of his SA buds on the Harleys. We talked each other into shopping for dual sports by the time the week was over.

Too bad those ponies won't be comin' back with you in a crate.

Later...

- Mutt (Yeah, THAT Mutt)

Yeah, we are already talkin' about what we want for Terlingua. I'll probably go with a 400 or smaller and Curvy on a 250 or smaller. Will haul them out there and ride locally. Smaller is better in my book and we can run more agressive tires. Those 650s set up for long-distance dual-sporting are bears. I have serious respect for Curvy handling that thing in the dirt fully loaded. Don't know how she did it, except lotsa guts and determination.

I guess we are gonna have to set up the place out there for moto git-togethers.

Steep

:drool: :rider: :drool: :rider:

2115910252_b25e5edb1a_b.jpg

Yeah, we are already talkin' about what we want for Terlingua. I'll probably go with a 400 or smaller and Curvy on a 250 or smaller. Will haul them out there and ride locally. Smaller is better in my book and we can run more agressive tires. Those 650s set up for long-distance dual-sporting are bears. I have serious respect for Curvy handling that thing in the dirt fully loaded. Don't know how she did it, except lotsa guts and determination.

I guess we are gonna have to set up the place out there for moto git-togethers.

Steep

We talked a couple of DS riders down there (there were a bunch this time), and had a conversation with the guy from CycleTek (Lon's favorite hangout down there :lol2: ). The CycleTek guy recommended the KLX250, which does look like a good off-roader with blinkers. I just found a deal on a DRZ400s I couldn't pass up.

Sounds like we'd have a gang to get dirty down there... unless you're looking for some more "alone time" in the dirt with Curvy... :trust:

Looks fun. What would would be the low side cost to make a trip like this? What would be the least number of days requiried to make this trip?

Thanks

Looks fun. What would would be the low side cost to make a trip like this? What would be the least number of days requiried to make this trip?

Thanks

I would need more info from you on costs. Rent a bike, ship yours? For example. We live here, so the overall cost is not bad. We do about 3000 miles per trip and spend about $1500 staying in hotels.

As far as time goes, the more the better. Our trips all lasted about two weeks because Curvy works. I know world travellers that have arrived here thinking they would be here two months and spent six. It's an easy place to hang out. If I were coming here from the states, considering the cost, I would want at least want a month.

Steep

Back