• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

coil/cdi

You'll need to find a manual or info online that list out the resistance tests you'll have to perform using an ohm meter.

I've been doing the same with my 1986 XL600R.

The coil will be an ohms test and that isn't even accurate.If you can figure
out which is the pwr wiire and put power on it,monetarily grounding the negative side[like striking a match]should cause a spark at the plug.Plug should be touching metal and coil on bike[mounted]the plug should spark if coil is good.

The cdi box is a try a good one deal[no valid test].

Always wanted a 500,your a lucky guy.

500RAT008.jpg

500RAT006-1.jpg

500RAT012.jpg

Mine grew 2 wheels:trust:
rworm

The coil will be an ohms test and that isn't even accurate.If you can figure
out which is the pwr wiire and put power on it,monetarily grounding the negative side[like striking a match]should cause a spark at the plug.Plug should be touching metal and coil on bike[mounted]the plug should spark if coil is good.

The cdi box is a try a good one deal[no valid test].

The coil could spark cold and still be bad. You can test that if it's not sparking at all, but coils that start to break down will often start to break up when hot, but run normal when cold just after start up. Still a swap and see deal if that's the case.

This is why I don't mess with bike ignition problems. Shops can stock all the parts for different models. I can't. Ignition boxes are expensive if you order one and it turns out to be the in the wiring or something. Lawnmower ignitions are so simple, it's a non-issue. :lol2:

Back