• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Helmets: How old is too old?

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Phenix
I've heard the liner material in helmets starts to deteriorate after 5 to 7 years. I'm trying to figure out the actual age of my helmet. It has a M2000 Snell rating so I'm sure it's still safe and I have really enjoyed having my head in it almost every day for the last 2 years but I just want a new one. Does anyone know how to read Shoei's top secret production date code?
My TZ-R's production date stamp is: HH040729

Manufactured in July '04. I replace them when the lining gets ratty or funky.

I've always heard replacement is strongly encouraged at the 5 year mark or after impact.

However... I have friends who replace more frequently due to desire, which I don't believe is a bad thing.

I've always heard replacement is strongly encouraged at the 5 year mark or after impact.

However... I have friends who replace more frequently due to desire, which I don't believe is a bad thing.

Thanks, I agree. The online dealer where I bought my new RF-1000 today (production date: May 2006) explained that a new unit can safely remain in the box up to 7 years and then be used up to 5 years from the date placed in service. That explanation could be used by a dealer to justify selling old stock.
I know sanctioning bodies of most forms of motor sports require a current Snell rating. Since I'm not planning on doing any empirical research on helmet age and diminished impact absorption, the Snell foundation's 5 year standard is good enough for me.

Last edited:
Back