PDA

View Full Version : V-Max Vs. Magna

NPHLYT
03-31-2008, 03:28 AM
I have a coworker who is looking to get a new-to-him bike pretty soon and was set on the larger of the Magna line until I introduced him to the V-Max, now he is unsure which way to go. I did not think I was serious when I told him to get both. He asked me which is better. I had no answer, so I am looking to this forum. If you have ridden both and have an opinion, I will pass them on to him. I have already told him to find a few examples of each for sale and go kick tires as well as find an independent mechanic, which he will need anyway, asn pick his brain.

Discuss.

dukey33
03-31-2008, 11:50 AM
If he wants an VF1100 Magna, he will need a good mechanic as the newest ones will be around 15 years old which implies some upkeep and maintenance updates will be needed. Still a solid bike but I think there was a cam oiling issue on the front cylinders that requires a mod.
And of course V-max was just dropped out of the 2008 model lineup.

Methinks the Vmax is a bit quicker in acceleration.

ed29
03-31-2008, 12:02 PM
sabmag.org might be a valuable information resource in learing about support, known issues etc for the old Magna. Sorry, I don't have a similar resource for the V-Max, but I bet someone else will know of one.

TWTim
03-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Looks-wise, my vote definitely goes to Mr. Max:

http://www.yamaha-motorcycles.org/images/2006VMax.jpg

pacman
03-31-2008, 06:59 PM
V-Max.

No other bike sounds or feels like Mr. Max. I've ridden both, and would take Max over the H*nda anyday.

Valker
03-31-2008, 07:45 PM
I prefer the V65 Magna. It was actually faster in the 1/4 mile than the Max, but it was close. It was a lot more comfortable (to me) than the Max. The Max is cooler looking (again, to me) and sounds better (").

flb_78
03-31-2008, 07:48 PM
I'd say Max because nothing really changed on em except the brakes so there are a TON of parts out there.

Skip Honeycutt
04-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Double check the cams on a Magna. Mr. Honda just didn't make the lines large enough to get enough oil on them at high RPM's. Hole Shot Performance makes a kit to increase oiling to the cams. The V65 Sabre (made only 2 years-84 & 85) is a way better handling bike than the Magna, but if you just gotta have that cruiser look.....