• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

V-Max Vs. Magna

NPHLYT

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
I have a coworker who is looking to get a new-to-him bike pretty soon and was set on the larger of the Magna line until I introduced him to the V-Max, now he is unsure which way to go. I did not think I was serious when I told him to get both. He asked me which is better. I had no answer, so I am looking to this forum. If you have ridden both and have an opinion, I will pass them on to him. I have already told him to find a few examples of each for sale and go kick tires as well as find an independent mechanic, which he will need anyway, asn pick his brain.

Discuss.

If he wants an VF1100 Magna, he will need a good mechanic as the newest ones will be around 15 years old which implies some upkeep and maintenance updates will be needed. Still a solid bike but I think there was a cam oiling issue on the front cylinders that requires a mod.
And of course V-max was just dropped out of the 2008 model lineup.

Methinks the Vmax is a bit quicker in acceleration.

sabmag.org might be a valuable information resource in learing about support, known issues etc for the old Magna. Sorry, I don't have a similar resource for the V-Max, but I bet someone else will know of one.

Looks-wise, my vote definitely goes to Mr. Max:

2006VMax.jpg

V-Max.

No other bike sounds or feels like Mr. Max. I've ridden both, and would take Max over the H*nda anyday.

I prefer the V65 Magna. It was actually faster in the 1/4 mile than the Max, but it was close. It was a lot more comfortable (to me) than the Max. The Max is cooler looking (again, to me) and sounds better (").

Double check the cams on a Magna. Mr. Honda just didn't make the lines large enough to get enough oil on them at high RPM's. Hole Shot Performance makes a kit to increase oiling to the cams. The V65 Sabre (made only 2 years-84 & 85) is a way better handling bike than the Magna, but if you just gotta have that cruiser look.....

Back