• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Good year-round overpants comparison

sprale

Reaction score
I am looking to replace my Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 overpants. After a year-and-a-half of daily wear, they are no longer waterproof and are starting to show their 14k miles. I did maintain them with NikWax, but the seams are getting stretched and I think that they are seeing the end of their heavy-use soon. They are fairly comfortable and kept me warm and dry when needed. In the Texas summer, they did get a bit hot at times. Riding the Ninja 250, they are a good fit.

I am looking at two overpants right now; the Tour Master Caliber Pants and the FirstGear HT Overpants 2.0. I would like to have the removable liner for the winter, but want the shell to be waterproof. The Caliber runs $126 and the HT 2.0 runs 162, a bit of a difference in range. I need something that can stand the abuse of daily use in all weather without coming apart.

I am interested to see if anyone has had any experience with either pants. If anyone has some positive impressions on other pants like these, I would be happy to hear them.

http://www.newenough.com/protective..._gear/ht_ii_textile_motorcycle_overpants.html
http://www.newenough.com/protective...ter/caliber_textile_motorcycle_overpants.html

I've got both the HT 2.0 overpants and the HT 2.0 Air overpants. Had I known that the Airs were that heavy and with a liner that actually blocks the wind I wouldn't have bought the overpants first. Mind you the extra heavy overpants with a liner are great in the cold, I'm not sure I couldn't deal with the Airs in the cold. that said, I like mine just fine but have both. Upgrade the hip armor if you by the First Gear. Install that with the armor that it comes with. Fits right into the pocket.

The HT Air Overpants are great year round with the liner :clap: It only takes a minute or two to zip the liner in... your waterproof :trust: With the liner in, you can ride pretty comfy in the cold :trust:

I've had the Cycle Port over pants for about 7 or 8 years now and they are just getting to the point where they need to be replaced. There longevity truly surprised me especially since I use them almost every day. No telling how many smiles are on them for certain, but I know it is over 60,000.

They use a liner system to make the over pants flexible. The offer a regular waterproof liner and an insulated waterproof liner, both of which have lasted as well as the pants. Without the liners the pants are good for any high tempurature that I have ridden in. With the winter liner, I've used them down to 25 degrees (I have to call it quits at some point!).

Carl

Back