PDA

View Full Version : Engine Guards

GregH
04-07-2008, 09:46 PM
I've seen Holeshot Nerf Bars and SW-Motech Engine Guards (my motorcycle safety instructor said "Never call them crash bars!").

Holeshot -
1. Appear to provide better protection by coming over the case.
2. Cost $179.
3. Are 1/2" mild steel bar (not tubing).

SW-Motech -
1. The bars being forward make a good spot for highway pegs.
2. Cost $135.
3. Are 1" mild steel tubing.

I would like to be able to put some highway pegs on for touring but like the protection of the Holeshot bars. However - I have not physically seen either set. Ideas, guidance, help? :shrug:

GregH
04-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!:zen:

PhilS
04-09-2008, 11:18 AM
I am not going with highway bars, but I am going with the SW Motech Nerfs as I think they "look" better. The bigger issue, I have no reason to believe one works better than the other, thus looks and $40 less made the call.

Or, we can simply "not lay it down"................ever, thus they will not be needed. I "may" consider that option..................:mrgreen:

Huladog
04-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Ditto PhilS' comments, same thing for me.

I have the SW-Motech version, Holeshot version would be just fine too since Dale Walker engineers his stuff very well.

SW version does tuck in nice and close, mounts to the frame and not the engine cases themselves like some other brands.

My only hangup on installation was that I messed up the long front engine mount bolt SW includes in the kit and needed to order a replacement from Fastenal (a bit too long, but it works). Tight squeeze torquing down that long bolt since there isn't much room in front of the Bandit's engine.

Just some "insurance" to minimize engine case damage (read: expen$ive) if it tips over. A fellow Bandit rider did just that, tipped over at a stop. Gravity does funny things and just grabs ahold of your bike when you least expect it.

Aloha,
Huladog

GregH
04-09-2008, 05:32 PM
But do the SW-Motech guards provide enough protection? If you tie a string to the guard and pull it back to where the foot peg hinges does it protect the case from impact damage?

Huladog
04-10-2008, 01:38 AM
GregH, good point! Made me think about it when I got home so I whipped out a long straight edge to check out what parts of the bike would get scraped if it tipped on its side (with the SW-Motech version). Anybody with the Holeshot version jump right in.

Left side: Engine guard (of course) but its awfully close to the left engine case cover. The other part that would touch the ground is the left side Passenger Peg even when folded up. Rider Peg is too far inboard as well as the shift lever - this actually might be good.

That engine case cover probably would get scraped up but the engine guard would minimize damage and keep the bike's full weight off that end of the crankcase thereby protecting the more expensive stuff inside that sacrificial cover.

Right side: Much better, more room till you scrape the right side engine case covers. The Passenger Peg would touch the ground along with your exhaust can, the Rider Peg is farther inboard. Again, this may not be too bad since it may help keep the bike off your ankle - foot, or at least give you a fighting chance to get your foot out of the way.

Totally prevent dings? Probably not, but cheap insurance to minimize damage and let you ride the thing home.

Aloha,
Huladog

GregH
04-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks, Dog. That is precisely the info I need.

I already have a few scratches on the left side cover so it's not the cosmetics I'm worried about. I want to be sure there is some metal to protect the valuables...and maybe mount some highway pegs!

ed29
04-10-2008, 12:03 PM
When I put sliders on my FJR (I know.. it is not a Bandit;-) ) I bought the extra long ones. A straight line from the bar end weight to the slider now stays outboard of the fairing. With the standard sliders the line passes right through the expensive parts. Not dropping it is my first choice... so far so good. The Sliders are an inexpensive assurance that if I do drop it damage will be minimized.

GregH
04-11-2008, 12:47 PM
When I put sliders on my FJR (I know.. it is not a Bandit;-) )
All are welcome. :zen:
Thanks for the comment regarding sliders. I'm considering them as well. Could you use the sliders as impromptu highway pegs?

ed29
04-11-2008, 01:07 PM
On my bike the sliders cannot be used as highway pegs. The fairing is wide enough to give good wind protection, so the edge of it digs into my calf when I rest my feet on the sliders. Every bike is different, so it might work on your Bandit.

Terizius
04-19-2008, 02:19 AM
Greg, i'm pretty sure that you were the one requesting pics of my set up in the monster thread, but if not, let me know and i'll post them here. I have the swmotech bars with highway pegs

GregH
04-19-2008, 05:00 PM
I've got them. They're on page 93 of the Mega-Thread!
Thanks.

GregH
05-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Well, I've decided:
I ordered the SW-Motech Engine Guards along with a set of GSG-Moto Rear Axle Protectors from TwistedThrottle.com today. I expect them to arrive within one week.

I will post pics of the installation.

Terizius
05-03-2008, 06:33 PM
cool, i think you'll like them, i do. Are you going to go with the highway pegs too? I highly recommend them if you are going to be doing any long/highway trips

GregH
05-03-2008, 08:52 PM
No highway pegs yet. From pictures it almost appears I could prop my boots against the engine guards. Could it be done?

Terizius
05-03-2008, 10:55 PM
i tried doing that before i got the pegs. Its possible, but you'll have to use your inner thigh muscles to keep them there, plus, any bumps would cause your heels to slip off. You could try it though first.

FDM
05-03-2008, 11:10 PM
I just got my engine guards in, the hwy pegs will be here Monday, I haven't had a chance to install it yet but they sure look nice.

GregH
05-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Man, you'd think either Twisted Throttle or SW-Motech would become a site sponsor with all of the business we're sending their way! :eat:

Terizius
05-04-2008, 12:58 PM
haha.. they should :P along with holeshot, spencers... etc ;)

FDM
05-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Man, you'd think either Twisted Throttle or SW-Motech would become a site sponsor with all of the business we're sending their way! :eat:

I know your right, being a part of this sight is how I found out about everthing!! Thanks for all the great info!!

Derwood
05-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Well, I've decided:
I ordered the SW-Motech Engine Guards along with a set of GSG-Moto Rear Axle Protectors from TwistedThrottle.com today. I expect them to arrive within one week.

I will post pics of the installation.

I too decided on the SW Motech because of the way (I think) they mount to the frame. Ordered them a few weeks ago for my 07 650s and Twisted Throttle sent me a message saying they are delayed with an expected ship date of May 30th. Could be a different model than what you ordered. I hope that May 30th date is real and not just a default date that really means "we have no idea when we can get those".

Dale from HoleShot was kind enough to chat with me on email beforehand but unfortunately he has not come out with his design for the 650 yet.

Terizius
05-04-2008, 10:36 PM
i've had then tell me twice now that the order would be delayed. Both times the shipment came in earlier than projected.. still, would be nice to know before you complete the order.

Huladog
05-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Yeah, this morning I had the dreaded "zero-MPH-lay-your-bike-down" due to a major brain fart while moving the bike around the driveway and the side stand moved just a bit so when I leaned over to the left side the bike kept going.

You know that sick feeling when the bike goes past the point where the stand should be there? Anyway, I was parking in an odd position, pointing uphill but the left side was on a downhill, anyway I'm short so there's not much room for error. The worst thing was my mother-in-law was in the garage, but at least I had her bring me some towels while I was sort of holding the bike off the ground so I could pad the bodywork before I let it lay down.

Now, GregH and others wondered if the SW-Motech engine guards would do the job since they are kinda close to the engine cases and I speculated that they would do the job but the engine cases or covers would get scratched a bit.

Well I am here to tell you from first hand experience the left side engine guard did its job and took the bulk of the bike's weight so the engine cover had a few scratches but didn't get crushed or anything serious. See the pic, the orange arrows show the scratched areas on the engine guard and the cover, I cleaned it up later and touched it up with some auto touchup paint I had on hand.

What else touched down? I was lucky and it didn't just "drop with a thud" so I really lucked out on damage. Beside scratching the engine guard and the engine cover, the underside of the rider and passenger peg touched down, the side stand touched but not bent and the front turn signal did just like it was designed to do and popped inward (simple repair to reassemble, no damage).

The rear axle touched so it would have been good to have a swing arm spool or slider by the axle nut, nothing major I just noticed some concrete dust when I felt the axle.

Bars didn't get tweaked, shifter stayed safe. Now I have no idea how you might do if you happened to drop your bike at speed, but I guess the engine guards did their job and was the cheap insurance I was looking for ever since my Bandit buddy told me he did a zero MPH drop.

Found more goodies on EzBay so I just ordered some anodized swingarm spools and front axle protectors figuring I need more protection for the bike. I was going to get those GSG spools but they were a little spendy and I could get both the EzBay swingarm spools and the front axle protectors for less $$. I do admit their engine guards do look good, nice machining, delrin type spool, just too expensive.

GregH
05-05-2008, 09:57 AM
You know that sick feeling when the bike goes past the point where the stand should be...

Yes, I do. Parking on a slope, momentary loss of focus, kickstand didn't fully lock out (because of slope), bike + gravity...
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL865/4143694/16192738/289083451.jpg

Thus began the search for engine guards. Fortunately, the only thing really damaged was my pride. I may keep the scratches as a reminder to maintain my focus on the bike.

GregH
05-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Rcvd an email from Twisted Throttle: the axle protectors are delayed but the engine guards shipped today! :clap:

PhilS
05-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Thus began the search for engine guards. Fortunately, the only thing really damaged was my pride. I may keep the scratches as a reminder to maintain my focus on the bike.

Hi Greg:

I thought you were looking at the Holeshot versions. Any reason in particular you chose these over those?

Phil (Red) :nana:

GregH
05-05-2008, 12:43 PM
I thought you were looking at the Holeshot versions.
I was, but I believe combining the SW-Motech engine guards with the GSG-Moto axle protectors will provide more clearance and protection.
Of course, not going down provides the most protection! :rider:

FDM
05-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Has anyone had any problems getting the nut off the top motor mount bolt?

I was going to install my bars today but can't seem to get that nut to break loose, I even went and bought a impact driver and still no luck :giveup: the nut is starting to round off so I guess I should take it to a shop and save me some trouble any suggestions?

Huladog
05-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Has anyone had any problems getting the nut off the top motor mount bolt?

I was going to install my bars today but can't seem to get that nut to break loose, I even went and bought a impact driver and still no luck :giveup: the nut is starting to round off so I guess I should take it to a shop and save me some trouble any suggestions?

YES! You are not alone, in fact I posted something, somewhere about the SW-Motech install not being that easy since that upper engine mounting nut gave me fits.

You probably rounded it off already since the stock nut isn't that hardened stuff and it just won't break loose, but the upside is that you can carefully grind it off with a Dremel (been there, done that, just take your time). Yes, you will completely mess up the stock bolt threads, but your engine guard should have a longer replacement bolt.

If it is the SW-Motech version, be sure to try the locking nut on the bolt BEFORE you assemble things on the bike. Mine was messed up so I screwed up the replacement nut and bolt, then had to order a stock nut and bolt so I could at least ride my bike while waiting for a replacement nut and bolt (that almost matched the SW-Motech specs) to arrive from Fastenal.

The hassles were worth it now that I real-world tested the thing this past Sunday.

Aloha,
Huladog

FDM
05-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the info, a 6 point socket will still grabe the nut but I'm sure it won't take much to finish rounding it off, my bars are the sw-motec got the long bolt but no replacement nut so I bought a pack of them from auto zone today, well looks like I'll be in for a little extra work.

One more question did you have to block up the engine when you removed the bolt? I was going to try to hang the bars on the front mount first then get that bolt back in and then remove the lower mount bolts is this right?

Thanks again!!

Huladog
05-05-2008, 11:35 PM
You won't need to jack up the motor or move it around at all to install the SW-Motech bars. The other mounting bolts will hold it in place while you install the upper front bolt. Then you can change the bolts holding the mounting plates by the footpegs.

There should have been a Euro-spec locking nut with that long replacement bolt, it will look sort of oval when looking at the hole. Be sure you got some locking nuts that have that flange to help spread the load, that's what the stock nut is like and what the SW-Motech nut is like. I found a replacment at Fastenal online since they had the right specs for a bolt (strength, etc.) was a little too long but I can live with it.

There isn't much room to wriggle your ratchet and extension in between the coolant hose, etc. on the left side.

Aloha,
Huladog

GregH
05-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I received a shipping notice today and UPS expects to make delivery in 2 days! :clap:
Should I start soaking the motor mount bolts in WD-40?

Terizius
05-06-2008, 01:08 PM
haha, i dont remember mine being that much of a problem.. though i was using a torque wrench to break that nut loose. was a pain doing it by myself though.

Derwood
05-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Let us know how the installation goes. Has anyone had a problem free installation? (Edit: Oh I see Terizius did. So giant torque wrench, 6-sided socket and WD40?)

I'm not liking the sound of this job so far with replacement bolts from Fastenal and Dremel tools, etc. Sounds a little out of my league. I'm already not keen on the idea of screwing with the engine mounts when I have 2.5 yrs of warranty left.

Terizius
05-06-2008, 03:03 PM
It should be fine. I do definately recommend using the socket instead of an open wrentch.. also, it would be helpful to have someone holding the wrench/socket on the other side.. My wife was kind enough to do so for me. I wouldnt say it was too difficult..

Huladog
05-06-2008, 04:20 PM
It should be fine. I do definately recommend using the socket instead of an open wrentch.. also, it would be helpful to have someone holding the wrench/socket on the other side.. My wife was kind enough to do so for me. I wouldnt say it was too difficult..

Terizius is right, get somebody to help you hold the wrench/ratchet on one side of the bike while you work on the other side to break it loose (ditto on the reverse when you tighten down the new bolt).

Nah, its not so bad, only when you mess it up like me! We're all giving each other real world experiences so you'll avoid the hassles we ran into, that's what this board is for.

If you don't mess-up in the first place, THEN you don't need to bother with the Dremel method of nut removal or sitting in front of your computer figuring where to get a replacement bolt because the local stores don't carry a special bolt like that.

Aloha,
Huladog

GregH
05-06-2008, 05:12 PM
...We're all giving each other real world experiences so you'll avoid the hassles we ran into, that's what this board is for.
Amen. I know I've contributed my share of "What Not to Do." :tears:

FDM
05-06-2008, 09:50 PM
The nut on my bike was not coming off no matter what you put on it, I have turned endless wrenches in my time but never came across some thing that was that stubborn, I tackled that nut today and I must say what a chore, after a couple hours I finally got that beast cut off, I didn’t have time to install the bars but looks like the rest of the install should go pretty smooth, any way good luck to everyone else that is going to install your own crash bars.

FDM
05-06-2008, 09:53 PM
haha, i dont remember mine being that much of a problem.. though i was using a torque wrench to break that nut loose. was a pain doing it by myself though.

I’m never that lucky, I’m the kind of guy that goes and buys a new part and 1 out of a million is bad……Guess which one I got?

PhilS
05-06-2008, 09:59 PM
I’m never that lucky, I’m the kind of guy that goes and buys a new part and 1 out of a million is bad……Guess which one I got?

Does it :storm: rain :storm: over your house and no one elses on a perfect sunny summer day? :ponder:

PhilS
05-06-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm kinda curious here about this nut/bolt thingy.....

Is this a super-important frame related bolt/nut that could have been put on at the factory "hot" so when it cools off it becomes ultra tight and secure? If that may be the case, would heating it up solve any of this disaster?

I plan on the SW Motechs as well soon and would like a better option than cutting the nut off..........which sounds kinda painful actually!!:eek2:

Derwood
05-07-2008, 08:42 AM
If not that then maybe a whole lot of red Loctite when it gets put in...?

Huladog
05-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I would guess they used something like "red" Loctite since you wouldn't want your engine mounting bolts to loosen. I used a bit of "blue" Loctite but the nut is a locking nut anyway.

Maybe if you hit the nut with a heat gun before you crack it loose, that might avoid the dreaded Dremel removal method.

Aloha,
Huladog

FDM
05-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Does it :storm: rain :storm: over your house and no one elses on a perfect sunny summer day? :ponder:

Well some times I think so, but tell me you have never known someone that you think is lucky meaning everything seems to always work out for them? Or are you that guy that nothing ever goes wrong for you? When you run into a problem does not mean you don't know what you are doing it only means you had a problem with it.

FDM
05-07-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm kinda curious here about this nut/bolt thingy.....

Is this a super-important frame related bolt/nut that could have been put on at the factory "hot" so when it cools off it becomes ultra tight and secure? If that may be the case, would heating it up solve any of this disaster?

I plan on the SW Motechs as well soon and would like a better option than cutting the nut off..........which sounds kinda painful actually!!:eek2:

I did not see any lock tight on the treads it appears to have a locking ring in side the nut and yes it is important it is your front engine mount bolt.

It would take a torch to get it hot enough to help but that would for sure cause some cosmetic damage, I used a air impact first and then a impact nut driver, no luck so I then got a 6 point socket with a 2 ft extension and it still would not budge, the next step was Huladog’s method break out the dremel tool and get to work……Put a good 6 point socket on a breaker bar and see if it breaks loose if not get ready because the fun has just began.

GregH
05-08-2008, 09:54 AM
The "Little Brown Truck of Happiness" should be stopping by my office this afternoon with a package for me! :clap:

Terizius
05-08-2008, 10:00 AM
ahh.. thats such a great feeling. I'm sure my wife is getting tired of me calling her in the day just to ask if my package is in :P speaking of that.. i have one at the post office now!! :D

Huladog
05-08-2008, 02:43 PM
The "Little Brown Truck of Happiness" should be stopping by my office this afternoon with a package for me! :clap:

ahh.. thats such a great feeling. I'm sure my wife is getting tired of me calling her in the day just to ask if my package is in :P speaking of that.. i have one at the post office now!! :D

The answer to this dilemma is to rent a mailbox at your friendly neighborhood UPS Store where they accept your mail and your shipments with a smile. They always know your name when you walk through the door since they receive so many shipments on your behalf and you never worry if somebody is going to be home when The Brown Truck or the White Truck stops by.

Plus there is a legit reason to rent a mailbox: so your credit card and banking mail isn't sitting in your home mailbox for some low life to steal. OK, that's just the excuse you can use to justify this.

Aloha,
Huladog

PhilS
05-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Well some times I think so, but tell me you have never known someone that you think is lucky meaning everything seems to always work out for them? Or are you that guy that nothing ever goes wrong for you? When you run into a problem does not mean you don't know what you are doing it only means you had a problem with it.

Nah - just kidding. Things go wrong all the time - especially when I just fixed it!!!!:eek2: . I rely heavily on this group as I like tinkering with the bike but I will screw it up in a heartbeat!!!

FDM
05-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Nah - just kidding. Things go wrong all the time - especially when I just fixed it!!!!:eek2: . I rely heavily on this group as I like tinkering with the bike but I will screw it up in a heartbeat!!!

I hear ya Phil, good luck with your install, hope that nut comes right off for you, if not don't worry about it, just put the dremel tool to work, also I used small cut off blades didn't have a stone to grind it off, what I think would be the best if it comes to this is cut the nut off at the shoulder and then angle cut through the bolt and the nut shoulder the reason I say angle cut is you don’t have enough working room to cut straight on, then just take a chisel and start knocking the collar off, with the right cutting blades this probably wouldn’t take very long.

GregH
05-09-2008, 12:54 PM
The SW-Motech guards arrived yesterday. :clap:

Do you think my wife would consider it a Mother's Day Present to help me put them on the Bandit?:mrgreen:

Huladog
05-09-2008, 02:14 PM

Do you think my wife would consider it a Mother's Day Present to help me put them on the Bandit?:mrgreen:

Ummmmmm, you're a brave man ...... better do it on SATURDAY to avoid asking her that favor on SUNDAY. When she asks you "why should I do it" then you have the option of telling her what you got for her present or you can say you're taking her out on Sunday. Man, if you wait until Sunday to put on those engine guards ....... you're going to run out of time taking care of Mother's Day "obligations" to your boss.

Aloha,
Huladog

FDM
05-10-2008, 09:16 AM

Good luck with your install, Sunday though :ponder: I'd give it a try and see what kind of look I got, then I'd tell her it will only take a few minutes if you help me, it might just work :mrgreen:

GregH
05-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Well, my wife had other chores in mind (yard, hanging drapes, etc.) for Mother's Day Weekend, thus, I wasn't able to install the engine guards. I'm traveling the next couple of weeks so it will be a while before I can get to it.:(

FDM
05-12-2008, 10:04 AM
I know about having time to do things, I finally had time to install mine yesterday, no probs after I got the nut off it took 20 maybe 30 minutes to complete.

GregH
05-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Post some pics. That would help tide me over until I can get mine installed. :rider:

FDM
05-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Ok here ya go Greg, if you will notice I had to wrap some tin around the bars to get the peg brackets to fit tight enough, I don’t know which one is better to go with the 1” or the 1 1/8” that I have, either one you will have to tweak a little to get to work, the sales person at Twisted throttle said they are working on getting mounts that fit correctly but at this time that is the only two they have for the sw-motec bars.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/unlimitedarchery/Bars4.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/unlimitedarchery/Bars3.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/unlimitedarchery/Bars2.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/unlimitedarchery/Bars1.jpg

GregH
05-12-2008, 03:59 PM
They look great, thanks. I can hardly wait to get mine on.:sun:

Terizius
05-12-2008, 09:37 PM
yeah.. i went with the 1".. they were tight and i had to bend them out a bit.. but a clamp and crescent wrench did the job. I see you have the same highway pegs i do. Nice huh :rider:

FDM
05-13-2008, 07:11 PM
yeah.. i went with the 1".. they were tight and i had to bend them out a bit.. but a clamp and crescent wrench did the job. I see you have the same highway pegs i do. Nice huh :rider:

Well they look nice and feel good with the bike on the centerstand :lol2: but I haven't had time to take the Bandit out for a test run, I'm sure they will work great to stretch them legs out on longer rides.

Terizius
05-13-2008, 07:43 PM
if you ever take your wife with you on those longer rides.. be fair and let her stretch her legs out to your pegs when you use the highway pegs :P just make sure the way is clear, dont want to have to jump back quickly and have her be too slow..

FDM
05-15-2008, 08:03 AM
if you ever take your wife with you on those longer rides.. be fair and let her stretch her legs out to your pegs when you use the highway pegs :P just make sure the way is clear, dont want to have to jump back quickly and have her be too slow..

My wife rides with me most of the time on the Bandit, it will sure be nice to have a little extra leg room for both of us.

Hopefully we will have a chance to take a nice ride this weekend and put them pegs to use.

Eyabusa
05-15-2008, 12:07 PM
FDX,
Any problems getting the oil filter out with the mid-mount to the frame on the engine guards?
Looks like it might be difficult.
Erik

FDM
05-15-2008, 11:45 PM
I changed my oil right before I put the bars on but it don't look like it will be any problem.

bones
05-16-2008, 09:35 AM
FYI, I will be likely buying these soon. Found these on AVDrider and a cat from the UK had them, and they have a US distributor. $172 clams, not bad.

http://www.renntec.co.uk/products/engine.htm
Thank you for your enquiry.

We have a distributor in Atlanta who may be able to help, contact details as follows:

Website address: www.revsperformance.com

Email address: info@revsperformance.com

Telephone: 770-787-8775

MtnTrax
05-16-2008, 12:19 PM
I ordered the renntec bars and rear rack from revs about a month back. Called a few days back and he said another couple of weeks to get the bars in stock. Said it was due to delays from Renntec but I wondered if maybe it was because of a minimum order size requirement from the supplier. So if some more guys order some I might get mine sooner?!!

bones
05-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Have they already charged you for them? If so, that's BS. Hope it comes through. I hate waiting and they have my $$ already

05-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Does anyone know what the renntec engine guards look like, I really don't care for the look of the sw-moto or holeshots.

bones
05-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Does anyone know what the renntec engine guards look like, I really don't care for the look of the sw-moto or holeshots.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6979581&postcount=85

05-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks bones,
They look like they would do a better job protecting the engine cases than the sw-moto or holeshot ones.

MtnTrax
05-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Don't believe my CC has been charged yet. Back when I called the order in he said he would place an order with Renntec in a week or two which would of been like 2-3 weeks ago. A few days ago he said they were B/O because Renntec was pushing their EU market and that probably accounted for shortages in product. I really want the bars but the wait is getting to be as bad as getting a Sargent seat! :angryfire

bones
05-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Don't believe my CC has been charged yet. Back when I called the order in he said he would place an order with Renntec in a week or two which would of been like 2-3 weeks ago. A few days ago he said they were B/O because Renntec was pushing their EU market and that probably accounted for shortages in product. I really want the bars but the wait is getting to be as bad as getting a Sargent seat! :angryfire
Well I can call and place an order today and see what they say??

Do you happen to know the tube type/size/thickness and if they are powedercoated? I won't pay $175 for pipe or super heavy wall (or super thin for that matter) junk. I want DOM or Chromoly tube...hope so anyway.

I emailed them these questions also. Thanks

MtnTrax
05-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Good point on material specs. Please let us know what their reply is when they get back to you. I was going to order direct till I got some online quotes.... lowest was $115 at 10-15 business days. THAT idea went out the window.

FroggyBandit
06-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Well got my Renntecs on today,they are pretty sturdy and fit well. The bolts and nuts put on by the factory were put on by King Kong and required an impact and socket,still boogered up the nut on the rear engine mount. I had a hard time evening out the nuts on the replacement bolt they sent for the front mount. You will have to have a socket on the other side to prevent it from moving when you loosen or tighten the other side, so two people would help with the job. There are wires running down the middle of the bike that get in the way when meeting the two halves together at the rear mount so be prepared with a long screwdriver to move them out of the way.Also mounting the left bar into place will take some manuevering to get past the radiator hose and over the engine where it connects to right side.I can try to get some pics if needed but they would be with a very low pixel camera that my daughter has. I guess I called at a good time to the distributer in Georgia cause I only waited about 2 wks for the backorder. Good luck on getting yours on. :rider:

bones
06-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Well got my Renntecs on today,they are pretty sturdy and fit well. The bolts and nuts put on by the factory were put on by King Kong and required an impact and socket,still boogered up the nut on the rear engine mount. I had a hard time evening out the nuts on the replacement bolt they sent for the front mount. You will have to have a socket on the other side to prevent it from moving when you loosen or tighten the other side, so two people would help with the job. There are wires running down the middle of the bike that get in the way when meeting the two halves together at the rear mount so be prepared with a long screwdriver to move them out of the way.Also mounting the left bar into place will take some manuevering to get past the radiator hose and over the engine where it connects to right side.I can try to get some pics if needed but they would be with a very low pixel camera that my daughter has. I guess I called at a good time to the distributer in Georgia cause I only waited about 2 wks for the backorder. Good luck on getting yours on. :rider:
Good to hear. Anyone know how these affect oil filter removal?

KenB
06-15-2008, 04:13 PM
I added Hoelshot's Nerf Bars last week and am very impressed with them. Superior fit and finish. I flirted with the idea of installing sliders, but thought the Nerf Bars would provide more protection, especially in a garage tip over. And they look like they are original equipment. Very nice. Highly recommended.

PhilS
06-15-2008, 09:55 PM
I added Hoelshot's Nerf Bars last week and am very impressed with them. Superior fit and finish. I flirted with the idea of installing sliders, but thought the Nerf Bars would provide more protection, especially in a garage tip over. And they look like they are original equipment. Very nice. Highly recommended.

How can we be absolutely positive you "really" installed them? Huh? How about a pic or two Ken?

Thanks........:lol2:

KenB
06-16-2008, 06:53 AM
How can we be absolutely positive you "really" installed them? Huh? How about a pic or two Ken?

Thanks........:lol2:
Phil, Phil, Phil. You know Modaholics like you and I don't bluff! :lol2: Although we are in Teas Hold 'Em country ;-)

So once the performance mods were done (Dale's Stage 1 kit completed, but waiting for the header!) I'm doing some functional mods for protection - Nerf Bars, radiator guard, and Stebel horn. I still need to install my Speedohealer, but that's one of the mods that I need to get my non-mechancical self psyched up for :pray:

So here's the Nerf Bars. Simple installation. Perfect fit. Really well made, quality stuff like everything else I've purchased from Holeshot. And absolutely no interference for oil filter changes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/keboyer/Vehicles/1250SA/BanditNerfBars002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/keboyer/Vehicles/1250SA/BanditNerfBars003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/keboyer/Vehicles/1250SA/BanditNerfBars006.jpg

PhilS
06-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Ken:

"Well done, oh good and faithful modifier".

Thanks for the shots. Now to find the cash for Dale...........

Onward.:rider:

Ed-B
06-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Those guards look very good! They mount to the frame points at the motor mounts, so there's no messing with that through-bolt that has everyone cussing, right?

Has anyone tired to fit case guards and fairing lower panels?

I'm considering adding the Suzuki factory lower fairing at some point, and I'd like to have case guards, too. I expect that I may have to modify the fairing lowers to clear the guards, but I wouldn't mind if that was a simple matter of making openings at two of the fairing's edge locations on each side for the guards to come out and go around the motor.

My priority with the case guards is engine protection. If there's some amount of fairing protection also that's a benefit, but it's not as critical.

Ed.

Roy
06-16-2008, 11:19 AM
The guards look nice Ken.

Little late for me since I already dropped my bike in the garage a month ago. Snapped the clutch lever off ($53 bucks) and lightly scratched the stator cover (not worth fixing barely can see it). Worst part was I fell into the side of my truck, big dent but luckily I was wearing my helmet and jacket or it would have been worse for my head. The kickstand got me, it went up as I was getting off the bike one afternoon after work.:giveup: I was more upset about the dent in the truck than the damage to the bike. I managed to pull the dent out with a sink plunger, still lightly there but not that noticeable. I would have had a huge headache if it were not for my helmet. Wear your gear until your fully OFF the bike.

MtnTrax
06-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Little late for me too! This weekend I was on a road trip and while parked in a lot the side stand had sunk all the way through the pavement. I had saddlebags on which helped blunt the drop I'm sure. Luckily the only damage was a scratched engine cover and bar weight. I'd swapped to flushmount signals so that surely helped as well. The ironic thing was my renntec bars had finally arrived that day after a 2 month wait but I was 400 miles away. They'll be going on asap after a little touch up painting...
I'm also going to weld a bigger pad onto the side stand as the one on there is way too small. It was only in the upper 70's and the pavement wasn't fresh so I was amazed it was so ****** soft.

Roy
06-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Little late for me too! This weekend I was on a road trip and while parked in a lot the side stand had sunk all the way through the pavement. I had saddlebags on which helped blunt the drop I'm sure. Luckily the only damage was a scratched engine cover and bar weight. I'd swapped to flushmount signals so that surely helped as well. The ironic thing was my renntec bars had finally arrived that day after a 2 month wait but I was 400 miles away. They'll be going on asap after a little touch up painting...
I'm also going to weld a bigger pad onto the side stand as the one on there is way too small. It was only in the upper 70's and the pavement wasn't fresh so I was amazed it was so ****** soft.

Speaking of sidestands sinking into asphalt I had my centerstand sink this past weekend luckily the side that sunk was on the lift side and the arm prevented the bike from tipping over. Back tire was on the pavement it sunk so far.

bones
06-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Speaking of sidestands sinking into asphalt I had my centerstand sink this past weekend luckily the side that sunk was on the lift side and the arm prevented the bike from tipping over. Back tire was on the pavement it sunk so far.
Yup it happens. Happened on my KLR once.

I try to park in the spot on the side with the concrete gutter. Typically around here it's 1.5-2' wide. Perfect to use the center stand.

FroggyBandit
06-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Ok Pics are in

bones
06-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Ok Pics are in
I like those a LOT more. Much more function IMO. Good purchase. I need to get these soon, all my bike tend to get dropped. :lol2:

Brass
06-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Solid looking set of bars.
Roughly what diameter is the bar?
Could you post a pic from the front to show how far out they are from the motor.

FroggyBandit
06-17-2008, 08:42 PM
The tubing is about 7/8" and is pretty sturdy at the welds and the base plate where it mounts to the engine mounts.

PhilS
02-15-2009, 03:33 PM
I just installed a set of Holeshot Nerf Bars - thanks CrazyArch!!!

They are small and do not stick out. Extremely nice workmanship!!

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/ProtonInstall022.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/ProtonInstall021.jpg

achesley
02-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Phill,
Will the oil filter still come out pass the hoses with the nerf bar in place. OR?

For get it. Posted before really studying. ;-(

PhilS
02-16-2009, 07:19 AM
Phill,
Will the oil filter still come out pass the hoses with the nerf bar in place. OR?

For get it. Posted before really studying. ;-(

No issue at all. These are well made and plenty of space left to remove it like I did before I installed them.

Eyerider
03-29-2009, 12:23 AM
I am considering purchasing the Renntec or the SW-Moto engine guards and I want to add highway pegs. I know Terizius and others have added highway pegs to the SW-Moto guards. Has anyone added them to the Renntecs? Or for those that have the Renntecs, does it seem possible to add pegs?
Thanks for your help and input.

thunderbolt
03-29-2009, 11:04 AM
I am considering purchasing the Renntec or the SW-Moto engine guards and I want to add highway pegs. I know Terizius and others have added highway pegs to the SW-Moto guards. Has anyone added them to the Renntecs? Or for those that have the Renntecs, does it seem possible to add pegs?
Thanks for your help and input.

I have the Renntecs and after looking at the pics of the highway pegs installed on the SW-Motechs I see no reason why they would not mount in a similar way on the Renntecs. They would have to go below the crossbar that wraps around the back of the engine, see the pics below if you want to see exact placement on the bike. Let me know if you want other shots and I'll see what I can do.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss354/wvaneeden/Motorcycles/Modifications/Crash%20Bars/828c65a2.jpghttp://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss354/wvaneeden/Motorcycles/Modifications/Crash%20Bars/181712e9.jpg (http://www.twtex.com/forums/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss354/wvaneeden/Motorcycles/Modifications/Crash%20Bars/828c65a2.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)
http://www.twtex.com/forums/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss354/wvaneeden/Motorcycles/Modifications/Crash%20Bars/828c65a2.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

MtnTrax
03-29-2009, 11:08 AM
I've been wanting to do the same thing on my Renntecs too. Been looking around and am thinking of doing either black mounts and pegs like this-
Rivco pegs (https://www.xtremerevolution.com/store/showproduct.aspx?siteid=6&productid=306&CategoryID=98&SectionID=0)
Rivco clamps (https://www.xtremerevolution.com/store/showproduct.aspx?siteid=6&productid=12215&CategoryID=98&SectionID=0)
Or small footpads like these I found-
Bikemaster footpads (http://www.fastcycleparts.com/showproduct.aspx?variantid=7822&aid=10050)-
There's times when I just got to straighten out the knees and sticking my heels on top the guards doesn't work too well for very long.

Fittysom'n
03-29-2009, 11:10 AM
I absolutely HATE highway pegs.... kinda like how I hated top boxes. Now I LOVE my top box, and highway pegs are a GodSend on those long roadtrips when you wanna move around in yer saddle and change position.

My legs (24" inseam) are too short to appreciate traditional highway pegs, but with the addition of the cross-bar that cages the engine (on my RennTecs) I could pick & choose where I wanna put some universal pegs.

.... and I may someday.

Eyerider
03-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Thanks Thunderbolt for those close-up photos. It does look possible to add some pegs to them. Thanks MtnTrax for your research on the pegs. I was wondering if you could rest your boots on the guards and you answered that question!

Brass
04-01-2009, 05:09 PM
I've been spending some time looking for engine guards that I like. So far Renntec have been on the top of my list.

But then I found this listing for a Suzuki part # 990D0-18H00-030

Anyone know anything about them??

Link:
http://www.erling-sande.no/erlingsande/frontend/files/PRODUCT/Product%20info%20GSF1250.pdf

thunderbolt
04-01-2009, 05:31 PM
I've been spending some time looking for engine guards that I like. So far Renntec have been on the top of my list.

But then I found this listing for a Suzuki part # 990D0-18H00-030

Anyone know anything about them??

Link:
http://www.erling-sande.no/erlingsande/frontend/files/PRODUCT/Product%20info%20GSF1250.pdf

Never seen it before but it looks like something that is available in certain parts of Europe only (Finland/Norway/Sweden/Belgium/Spain/Hungary/Germany/Poland/Romania). Price is 116 Euros (in Finland) and it's similar to the Renntec in that it wraps around the back of the motor. That's about all I can tell.

Fittysom'n
04-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Uuuuh, just an aside here,

I have the RennTechs on my bike, I like 'em, and I'm sure they'll work when/if they're needed;
but when out riding in a rather spirited fashion the other day,
something touched down, a hard part, side-stand?, center-stand?.......

you guessed it, my RennTech engine guard.

The left side is actually 1/4" lower than the right side of the engine guard. And I just ground about a 1/16" off of my RennTech.

Who woulda thunk?

MtnTrax
04-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Well Pat you best be figuring out how to mount some slider pucks on there or scale back the lean angle a little. :eek: Guards for guards?!!

wanabeguru
04-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Uuuuh, just an aside here,

I have the RennTechs on my bike, I like 'em, and I'm sure they'll work when/if they're needed;
but when out riding in a rather spirited fashion the other day,
something touched down, a hard part, side-stand?, center-stand?.......

you guessed it, my RennTech engine guard.

The left side is actually 1/4" lower than the right side of the engine guard. And I just ground about a 1/16" off of my RennTech.

Who woulda thunk?

Pat: You realize if you do that on our 36 ride I will be forced to disavow all knowledge of you and said bike!! :lol2:

Fittysom'n
04-02-2009, 06:22 PM
You know....
it was just one-a-dem smooth sweepers where the traditional Pilot Roads didn't sweat the lean angle, road surface, or my sensibilities. I may talk like I'm all that, but truth is I'm the guy "riding my own ride" (at the back).

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about the touch-down, but I believe with an upgraded suspension (someday), my 220+lb's won't compress the pogos enough to be concerned. In the meantime, I better behave.....

PhilS
04-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Here in the next month or so, I will be removing my Holeshot Nerf Bars and replacing them with the full lower body fairing kit which does not allow for these bars. If anyone wants to buy these from me, please PM me and I'll get back with you once they're off and the body is on! Then, I will be looking for some sliders of some sort to fit the fairing.

Phil

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/ProtonInstall021.jpg

achesley
04-10-2010, 06:35 AM
How much we talking about in money Phil?

Eyabusa
04-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Just PMed you.

Joe D
04-10-2010, 08:27 AM
That kills the RennTechs for me. Touching down hard parts in a curve leads to a crash. Saw a guy crash his Suzuki due to the non-folding rear sets touching down.

PhilS
04-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Just PMed you.

PM'd you back.........:sun:

PhilS
04-10-2010, 04:12 PM
How much we talking about in money Phil?

I paid $60 shipped to me. I'll take $60 shipped to you guys in the USA (excluding AK and HI of course.....then it's more! :)

Ga-Bandit
04-12-2010, 02:17 AM
I paid $60 shipped to me. I'll take $60 shipped to you guys in the USA (excluding AK and HI of course.....then it's more! :)

they won't fit in the USPS flat rate shipping boxes????

PhilS
04-12-2010, 06:59 AM
The shipping was about $8 to $10........I bought these from CrazyArch.

PhilS
04-26-2010, 12:06 PM
My Holeshot Nerf Bars are officially available as my body fairing kit just shipped and I do not need these bars any longer!! I will Ebay them this weekend if no one bites.

Phil

PhilS
04-26-2010, 11:08 PM
My Holeshot Nerf Bars are officially available as my body fairing kit just shipped and I do not need these bars any longer!! I will Ebay them this weekend if no one bites.

Phil

SOLD.

Fittysom'n
04-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Update with regard to my RennTech engine guards/cage:

When I was busy touching down and dragging my engine guards and belly pan, I had over 20,000 miles on my suspension; the suspension was tired and prone to poor damping. But I have since found out that despite my instructions to the contrary, my suspension was set up for as low a ride as possible for my 5' 2"ness..... I told the guy that I wanted the best set-up for the best handling characteristics, that I can't reach the ground anyway, "DON'T LOWER MY BIKE!" I told him.
- he didn't follow my instructions -

Anyway, I have since replaced the springs up front and shock absorber at the back. Nothing comes close to touching down now, the ride is much better, and after messing around with settings, I have it pretty much sorted out.

And I have more faith in my RennTech engine guards than I would in those cute little Holeshot Nerf bars.....

Joe D
04-28-2010, 06:38 AM
How did he lower your bike? Did he slide the fork tubes up or were the springs just shot? I am wanting some bars, but I really do not like hard parts touching in a curve.

Fittysom'n
04-28-2010, 10:44 AM
'He' lowered my bike by reducing the damping & preload front & rear, then dialing it in such that the two ends of the bike worked in concert together.

'I' had my prior bike lowered (FZ1/"Fazer") by modifying the internals of my suspension lowered and replaced the OEM springs with single-rate springs rated for my weight and the added weight of hard luggage. It worked and I never bottomed-out again, but it also eliminated the comfort that a bike with the correct "sag" set up would have had. That is to say, it was a rough ride even over the smoothest road.
I don't believe in raising the tubes in the triple tree, and I think it's a very bad idea to use lowering links or "dog bones" on the rear shock(s) to lower the back of the bike. Between the two, you risk pinching/cutting brake lines and you radically change the geometry of the bike, not to overlook making the ride TOO soft unless you change out the rear spring.

Joe D
04-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Sounds like 'he' did not get it right. Too soft for your weight?

Fittysom'n
04-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Yeah.... he err'ed on the side of "lowest",
- however -
I might add that it seemed okay for the first several thousand miles, but with time the OEM componants were not as efficient at doing their job. All I would have to do is ride hard enough to heat the fluid up in the shocks, and their ability to dampen was compromised by hot & thinning oil.... and then things would start to touch down.

delux
07-20-2011, 11:57 PM
I know this is an old thread, but has anyone experienced rattling noise while going over bumps after installing their engine guards? I installed the sw-motech guards, and since then i've had that problem. not sure whether the long bolt that connects the two guards together is not tight enough. Anyone know the torque specs for these bolts. Thanks.

Ga-Bandit
07-21-2011, 08:30 AM
I know this is an old thread, but has anyone experienced rattling noise while going over bumps after installing their engine guards? I installed the sw-motech guards, and since then i've had that problem. not sure whether the long bolt that connects the two guards together is not tight enough. Anyone know the torque specs for these bolts. Thanks.

I have the SW-Motech guards as well and never had that issue. I went two grunts past tight or 50 Nm (5.0 kgf-m, 36.0 lb-ft) - all three bolts are the same.

Tazman2
07-21-2011, 09:44 AM
I have the SW-Motech guards as well and never had that issue. I went two grunts past tight or 50 Nm (5.0 kgf-m, 36.0 lb-ft) - all three bolts are the same.

Same! No noise issues with mine either! :giveup:

delux
07-22-2011, 01:06 AM
Alright thanks for the replies you guys. Didn't realize that Nm was related to torque, as it is shown on the instructions. Converted though, the M8 bolt should be 17lb-ft and the M10 bolt should be 33lb-ft. I wish I wasn't such an idiot and break off one of the heads of the engine bracket bolts by over torquing. :doh: Looks like I have to attempt an easy out now.

Ga-Bandit
07-22-2011, 08:53 AM

Those are the specs for Chassis Bolt and Nut (aka Frame Down Tube)

Engine mounting nut:
Front upper 55Nm; 5.5kgf-m; 40.0lb-ft
Rear upper 88Nm; 8.8kgf-m; 63.5lb-ft
Rear lower 88Nm; 8.8kgf-m; 63.5lb-ft
Engine mounting bolt Center lower 47Nm; 4.7kgf-m; 34.0lb-ft
Engine mounting No.1 bracket bolt 23Nm; 2.3kgf-m; 16.5lb-ft
Engine mounting No.2 bracket bolt 23Nm; 2.3kgf-m; 16.5lb-ft

Generic bolt size torques not listed are:
Bolt Diameter 6:
Conventional or “4” marked bolt (4 is marked on the end); 5.5Nm; 0.55kgf-m; 4.0 lb-ft
“7” marked bolt (7 is marked on the end): 10Nm; 1.0kgf-m; 7.0 lb-ft
Bolt Diameter 8:
Conventional or “4” marked bolt (4 is marked on the end); 13Nm; 1.3kgf-m; 9.5 lb-ft
“7” marked bolt (7 is marked on the end): 23Nm; 2.3kgf-m; 16.5 lb-ft

delux
07-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the info GA-Bandit, but I just torqued everything to the specs on the instructions. I got the broken bolt out and replaced it with another. Everything seems snug, but I still get an annoying rattling whenever I ride over bumpy surfaces, something that never occurred until I installed the guards. Possibly the chassis bolt is bouncing around on the bumps (even though it fits in pretty snug)? Kinda annoying that no one else has had this issue either. Might have to take the guards off to see if it continues to rattle, as I'm not to keen about having a rattling bike. :giveup:

Ga-Bandit
07-23-2011, 08:18 AM
You're welcome. What was the specs according to the instructions?

delux
07-23-2011, 02:18 PM
33 lb-ft for the the long bolt ( I put 36 lb-ft instead) and 17 lb-ft for all the others.

Ga-Bandit
07-23-2011, 03:37 PM
33 lb-ft for the the long bolt ( I put 36 lb-ft instead) and 17 lb-ft for all the others.

17 lb-ft is too low - and the engine is too heavy to move around while you're sitting still (to check for the rattle).

achesley
07-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Does anyone have footpegs attatched to thier engine guards?> If so, what guards and what pegs. Thinking about going that way on my Bandit.

Ga-Bandit
07-24-2011, 12:19 AM
Does anyone have footpegs attatched to thier engine guards?> If so, what guards and what pegs. Thinking about going that way on my Bandit.

I have the SW-Motech guards and their sport pegs (for best ground clearance). Absolutely the best mod I've made.

GregH
07-24-2011, 02:09 PM

I have the SW-Motech engine guards with Kuryakyn highway pegs. It's a great combination.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL865/4143694/16192738/363565053.jpg

delux
07-26-2011, 01:07 AM
Hmm..17 lb-ft too low? GA, maybe you can clarify a few things for me then.

Front upper 55Nm; 5.5kgf-m; 40.0lb-ft
(this is the bolt right below the long bolt on the left side of the bike that is (M8 x 25)

Rear upper 88Nm; 8.8kgf-m; 63.5lb-ft
Rear lower 88Nm; 8.8kgf-m; 63.5lb-ft
(are these the torque specs for the nuts that go onto the u-bolt on the right side of the bike?)

Engine mounting bolt Center lower 47Nm; 4.7kgf-m; 34.0lb-ft
(torque for the long bolt?)

Engine mounting No.1 bracket bolt 23Nm; 2.3kgf-m; 16.5lb-ft
Engine mounting No.2 bracket bolt 23Nm; 2.3kgf-m; 16.5lb-ft
(torque for the four M8 x 35 bolts? 2 on each side)

Sorry for all the questions, but all the bolts seem tight already and I don't want to break another bolt head. I'm willing to give the guards one more tightening try before I disassemble them and see if the rattling persists without them. It's not like I'm ever going to drop the bike right :trust:

BlueStreak
07-26-2011, 10:46 AM
If those are the specs from the shop manual (which I don't have handy at the moment), then stick with them. You don't want to snap off any of those bolts.

Ga-Bandit
07-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Sorry for all the questions, but all the bolts seem tight already and I don't want to break another bolt head. I'm willing to give the guards one more tightening try before I disassemble them and see if the rattling persists without them. It's not like I'm ever going to drop the bike right :trust:

No problem - I sent you three "pictures" in PDF form so you may look at it. It appears you have it torqued correctly - I was looking at it wrong I think?

delux
07-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks again Ga. On that last email you sent me, it appears that "Engine mounting bolt (Front upper)" is the long bolt and should be torque to 40 lb-ft. I'll give that a try when I get a chance.

Ga-Bandit
07-27-2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks again Ga. On that last email you sent me, it appears that "Engine mounting bolt (Front upper)" is the long bolt and should be torque to 40 lb-ft. I'll give that a try when I get a chance.

you're welcome, that's why I sent what I did - it's confusing to me. I just tightened mine by feel.

Tazman2
07-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Remember to use loctite on the bolts! ;)

Ga-Bandit
07-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Remember to use loctite on the bolts! ;)

+1

delux
08-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Well after torquing the long bolt to 40 lb-ft, and having the problem still persist. I did an inspection of the bike and realized the bracket from my givi rack that connects the right passenger foot peg was kind of lose. So i tightened it, and after a test ride.....no more rattling :doh: (bad timing for a coincidence if you ask me). Yes I am an idiot, but at least I can :rider: Thanks for all the help nonetheless.

delux
08-25-2011, 01:44 AM
Anyone know what size clamps fit best on the sw-motech guards. I bought the Kuryakyns with 1" clamps but they are too small (I haven't tried to force them on, but I'm pretty sure they won't work even if I did). I'm not sure whether to get the 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" clamps.

GregH
08-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Anyone know what size clamps fit best on the sw-motech guards. I bought the Kuryakyns with 1" clamps but they are too small (I haven't tried to force them on, but I'm pretty sure they won't work even if I did). I'm not sure whether to get the 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" clamps.

I took mine to a local metal shop and had them "contour" the clamps to fit. It only cost $20 and they fit very well.

Ga-Bandit
08-27-2011, 01:57 AM

call sw-motech and they'll tell you - I think it's on their web site too. or just act like your buying it and it'll tell you and then empty out your cart before logging out. BTW: That's where I got mine.

This isn't my set up it tells you that you need 0.85" (21mm) to 1.125" (28mm)
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4665?

FDM
08-28-2011, 10:46 AM

I got the bigger of the 2 sizes and had to wrap the bars using a beer can and some none slip material to get them to fit tight, not crazy about how it looks but seems to work fine…..I would have thought they would have peg brackets out by now that fits the SW Motech bars.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/unlimitedarchery/Bars3.jpg

delux
08-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the replies you guys. When I had first received the pegs and realized the clamps wouldn't fit onto the main bar, I noticed that they would onto the horizontal part of the crash bar if I used some of the rubber tubing from a water hose to make it fit more snug. This setup looks nice, although the problem is that rather then the pegs folding up, they fold down. This means that anytime too much pressure is applied from above, they'll fold down. That is why I'm trying to revert to installing them on the main vertical part of the crash bar. So FDM, using your beer can clamp method, did you use the 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" clamp? I will try to attach a Pic of my setup for you guys to see.

GregH
08-28-2011, 02:58 PM
You don't want those highway pegs folding down! They must fold up in case the bike lays down, otherwise they'll stick into the pavement which could make things go very bad.

On a less fearful note: the pegs need to be able to support some weight in order to provide rest for your legs. It is a joy to stretch out your legs when on a long ride.

delux
08-28-2011, 03:09 PM
I had just come back from a 400 mile trip from southern california to northern california, (which is why I had purchased these pegs to begin with), and it would have been nice to be able to utilize them more rather than just occasionally, which is what I did. I plan on removing them when I have a chance since they are not that useful at the moment since they do fold down rather than up, although they do look quite nice as eye candy. I didn't realize there being any possible risk if the bike laid down, actually I figured it would help prevent the bike from laying down completely.

GregH
08-28-2011, 08:28 PM
If you're moving and those pegs catch pavement it could trigger a serious accident. They're designed to move upward so as to be solid when your feet are on them but also so they will angle up in case they come into contact with something (pavement, the curb, a slow-moving dachshund...).

FDM
08-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the replies you guys. When I had first received the pegs and realized the clamps wouldn't fit onto the main bar, I noticed that they would onto the horizontal part of the crash bar if I used some of the rubber tubing from a water hose to make it fit more snug. This setup looks nice, although the problem is that rather then the pegs folding up, they fold down. This means that anytime too much pressure is applied from above, they'll fold down. That is why I'm trying to revert to installing them on the main vertical part of the crash bar. So FDM, using your beer can clamp method, did you use the 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" clamp? I will try to attach a Pic of my setup for you guys to see.

If that is the only 2 sizes it would be the 1 ¼” clamp, it’s been a good while back when I installed them and don’t remember the exact size but it was the larger clamp I used, I used the can because it crushes when you tighten the clamp, so far my peg’s hasn’t moved since I installed them.

scharfg
02-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Hey there, newb with a '08 Bandit in Canada (SEA edition) with the stock lower fairing installed.

Will any of the crash bars fit a bike with the lower fairing or am I looking at frame sliders only for protection (ie: what are my options)?

Thanks!

Ga-Bandit
02-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Hey there, newb with a '08 Bandit in Canada (SEA edition) with the stock lower fairing installed.

Will any of the crash bars fit a bike with the lower fairing or am I looking at frame sliders only for protection (ie: what are my options)?

Thanks!

For one there are sportbike type frame sliders that will work. There's another post somewhere in this maze about a different type.

TwinkietheKid
02-04-2012, 07:30 PM
R&G has something you are looking for. (http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Suzuki/Bandit_1250GT_%28Faired%29/2008.aspx) The US distributor/retailer does not list the GT version of the Bandit on their website (Twisted Throttle) and I have never contacted them about R&G products not listed.

Hopefully you will have better luck with the Canadian distributor--if different.

scharfg
02-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks Twinkiethekid (great avitar).

I had a look and they want over $200 for front frame sliders is that my best option for a lower faired Bandit 1250...?

TwinkietheKid
02-05-2012, 05:27 AM
Thanks Twinkiethekid (great avitar).

I had a look and they want over $200 for front frame sliders is that my best option for a lower faired Bandit 1250...?

Pickins is mighty slim.......

One other possibility... (http://www.gsg-moto.de/)

The problem is the lower fairing, which I also have, reduces the choices you have.

scharfg
02-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks, they look very protective (and expensive).

What are you using for your Bandit...?

TwinkietheKid
02-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks, they look very protective (and expensive).

What are you using for your Bandit...?

I have none. :shrug:

scharfg
02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Wow you are a much better rider than I! Mind you so far I seem to do the most damage when standing still or trying to move the bike around the shop (ie: they go to sleep so easily!).

I sent your "other possibility" folks an email trying to find out the $$ conversion factor and they responded asking to see a picture of my bike I guess so they can see the lower fairing? I did that and am waiting for a reply.

I like their idea of replacable sacraficial "pucks" on the ends so you can get some value out of the high upfront cost.

TwinkietheKid
02-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Wow you are a much better rider than I! Mind you so far I seem to do the most damage when standing still or trying to move the bike around the shop (ie: they go to sleep so easily!).

I sent your "other possibility" folks an email trying to find out the $$ conversion factor and they responded asking to see a picture of my bike I guess so they can see the lower fairing? I did that and am waiting for a reply.

I like their idea of replacable sacraficial "pucks" on the ends so you can get some value out of the high upfront cost.

I'm a better rider??? I don't think so!

Seriously, I had been searching for a set, but never got around to purchasing any. I'm more inclined to buy the engine covers from R&G right now.

Now, as for those GSG boys; they have a clutch cover that I :drool: over.

kewwig
02-17-2012, 04:49 AM

This setup? http://kewwibike.blogspot.co.nz/2012/02/gsg-moto-crash-knobs.html

I rate them

scharfg
02-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Hi again Kewwig, you are a very helpful and informative inmate :0)

After about 6 back and forth emails with the GSG folks, they had their US rep (Wild Horse Accessories) email me with the info for these. They are $220US plus $30 shipping to Canada.

So you think they were worth the cost or did they make you slide farther? Did they save your fairing/engine cover/overall bike damage etc)? I think if anything saves your bike from getting damaged/scratched then they would be worth it within cost reason.

I wonder if their side bag stick on "puck-tabs" would be worth it for ($50/2 sets), anyone tried them?

Let me know, thanks!

http://www.whaccessories.com/Suzuki-Sliders-GSF-1250-Bandit-OEM-Lowers.htm

achesley
02-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Well, after wanting to for about 3 years now, I finally ordered a set of engine guards from Twisted Throttle for my Bandit.

scharfg
02-17-2012, 06:56 PM
I would have done the same (or from Dale) but that dang fairing does not allow me many options.....