View Full Version : Lets poke fun at a BMW knock off

DaveC
04-09-2008, 02:10 PM
This is going to be .......

https://motorcycles-wholesale.com/images/side.jpg

:lol2:

DANNYROTH
04-09-2008, 02:13 PM
What's the big handle just forward of the driver?

mjacks
04-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Are the wheels plastic to cut down on unsprung weight?

STrider
04-09-2008, 02:31 PM

For tying on the brick.

DFW_Warrior
04-09-2008, 02:36 PM
At least it's not shaft driven. It looks like they've learned from the mistakes of Bimmer.

ed29
04-09-2008, 02:40 PM
The fire extinguisher lever.... oh wait, it has a chain!

And I thought this might have something to do with the FJR logo on the side of my bike..

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd52/edhegarty/Misc%20Motorcycle/IMG_0499.jpg

Hemibee
04-09-2008, 03:04 PM

That's where Dual Sport Divers tie their life lines........ :duck: :dude:

Duke
04-09-2008, 03:18 PM
That's where Dual Sport Divers tie their life lines........ :duck: :dude:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DANNYROTH
04-09-2008, 03:36 PM
I resemble that remark!

All this time I thought that the handle was to hold onto while taking it out of the overhead compartment.

mlstults
04-09-2008, 03:40 PM
unbelievable. Who makes it?:shock:

kurt
04-09-2008, 03:42 PM
It's the 2009 V-Strom. :trust: The muffler gives it away as a Suzuki.

ed29
04-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Looks like it is a Lifan.... less that 2K new and comes with a 3 year 30,000 mile warranty. That might be a fun little commuter bike..... Add a high front fender and some DS tires and it might make a good Big Bend bike too.

pacman
04-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Grab rails for a 2-up reversed "riding" position. :trust:

Jack Giesecke
04-09-2008, 04:43 PM
I guess I haven't seen that one. Is the gas tank under the seat real???/

ColGoodnight
04-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Q: Why did they copy such an unpopular and short lived model (the Scarver)?

I actually sat on one of these @ ATVDiscounters. Light, comfortable bike with good ergos.

There's always the possibility that there's more than one manufacturer of this design - that's not at all uncommon in the Chinese motorcycle industry. I copied the first four letters down from the VIN of the one I saw and looked the MFR up. It wasn't anybody I'd ever heard of (Stinking River Motorcycle Works or something like that) but then there are nearly a hundred motorcycle assembly factories in China. It certainly wasn't one of the big boys like Lifan or Zongshen that import bikes under their own brand name and are setting up their own dealer networks.

The tank is not under the saddle.

The big handle is copied from the BMW - it was part of an advanced teutonic luggage/helmet/stereo holding system.

Tom

Next week: Lets poke fun at Harley-Davidson knock offs.

leekellerking
04-09-2008, 06:32 PM

Painful in a get off??? :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

ColGoodnight
04-10-2008, 08:13 AM
I copied the first four letters down from the VIN of the one I saw and looked the MFR up. It wasn't anybody I'd ever heard of (Stinking River Motorcycle Works or something like that) ...

Here we go: the one I sniffed around was built by Shanghai Shenke Motorcycle Company (VIN started L8Y...)

http://www.shenkepower.com/MC-57-250.htm

This same design is apparently built by Jonway as well.

http://english.jonway.com/jonway/motorcycle_detail.asp?id=170

Jonway's US headquarters is in Carrollton, Texas.

Scoot safe,
Tom

Txchas
04-10-2008, 08:25 AM

Yeah....looks like an emergency nut catcher. :rofl:

Desert Skies
04-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Looks like it is a Lifan.... less that 2K new and comes with a 3 year 30,000 mile warranty. That might be a fun little commuter bike..... Add a high front fender and some DS tires and it might make a good Big Bend bike too.

I bet you'd change you mind when you find yourself walking to work or even worse, walking back to the Rio Grand Village from the Mariscal Mine.:lol2:

DFW_Warrior
04-10-2008, 09:32 AM
I bet you'd change you mind when you find yourself walking to work or even worse, walking back to the Rio Grand Village from the Mariscal Mine.:lol2:

No kidding, I bet you'd feel very similar to how Duke felt when his GS caught on fire in the middle of nowhere.;-)

Desert Skies
04-10-2008, 09:35 AM
No kidding, I bet you'd feel very similar to how Duke felt when his GS caught on fire in the middle of nowhere.;-)

43 minutes. I was wondering how long it would take you to bring that up.:lol2:

DFW_Warrior
04-10-2008, 10:52 AM

I'm an equal opportunity bike hater!!! It doesn't take long.:trust:

DaveC
04-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Q: Why did they copy such an unpopular and short lived model (the Scarver)?

I actually sat on one of these @ ATVDiscounters. Light, comfortable bike with good ergos.

There's always the possibility that there's more than one manufacturer of this design - that's not at all uncommon in the Chinese motorcycle industry. I copied the first four letters down from the VIN of the one I saw and looked the MFR up. It wasn't anybody I'd ever heard of (Stinking River Motorcycle Works or something like that) but then there are nearly a hundred motorcycle assembly factories in China. It certainly wasn't one of the big boys like Lifan or Zongshen that import bikes under their own brand name and are setting up their own dealer networks.

The tank is not under the saddle.

The big handle is copied from the BMW - it was part of an advanced teutonic luggage/helmet/stereo holding system.

Tom

Next week: Lets poke fun at Harley-Davidson knock offs.

They don't look as ackward as this unit! Hardly as much fun, whats worse their are some looking at it thinking" I like it, what s the big deal?" Kind of like those V-stroms. :lol2:

John Bennett
04-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Lets poke fun at a BMW knock off

That's pretty bad.

I would feel ashamed going down the road on that.

It's too blatant.

shootergal
04-10-2008, 01:48 PM
:brainsnap errrrrr....what is that? Is it a real motorcycle? A kind of scooter thingee? I'm confused. :ponder:

kurt
04-10-2008, 02:36 PM

Again and again and again. :giveup:

DFW_Warrior
04-10-2008, 03:27 PM
The only reason that I keep bringing it up is because it seems common place to stereo-type every other type of bike whether it be a Harley, a Chinese bike, a sport bike, or anything else. But heaven forbid we stereo type a Bimmer....

Desert Skies
04-10-2008, 03:34 PM
The only reason that I keep bringing it up is because it seems common place to stereo-type every other type of bike whether it be a Harley, a Chinese bike, a sport bike, or anything else. But heaven forbid we stereo type a Bimmer....

You've never heard the Bimmer/Porcupine comparison? Or "the cheapest thing on a BMW is th......... oh, never mind.:doh:

Chirpy
04-10-2008, 05:09 PM
"The wing is my wife's bike, I'm just the driver..."

That is pretty dang funny

Sleepy Weasel
04-11-2008, 12:39 AM
This same design is apparently built by Jonway as well.

http://english.jonway.com/jonway/motorcycle_detail.asp?id=170

Jonway's US headquarters is in Carrollton, Texas.

Scoot safe,
Tom

What? John Wayne? That's a TERRIBLE cowboy name!

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/s/images/shanghai-noon-2.jpg

shootergal
04-11-2008, 05:28 PM
OK I think I got it: this bike is "similar" to the BMW 650 CS. That handle thingee is, as was mentioned earlier, one of 2 on either side of a big "hole" where the tank should be. The 650 CS originally came with a soft bag that laid inside the "hole" & the hanlde-thingee's were for the straps. I only saw the CS once & believe it or not, it was really a nice bike. The "hole" was a bit weird, but overall it was kinda pretty! (all this in case anybody cared)

ColGoodnight
05-13-2008, 09:26 PM
If the pseudo F650CS doesn't do it for you, there also this F650GS (http://www.motorrad.cl/images/enduro/ttx200rallbi.jpg) mimic.

Tom

CT90RR
05-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Uuhhhhh!
I'd like to come up with some quick witted insult to impress yall and let you know what I think of that thing...but all I can say is YUCK!!!!!!!!!

come on, I know the Chinese are masters at "knocking off" other companies designs and that they're selling a lot little bikes all around the world. But what market is that *** intented for?
Surley they don't expect the American market to go for that?
We're so "image conscious" that we have a hard time riding a scooter for "fear of what people might think".
How could I ever face the motorcycle riding public riding a poorly done, ugly copy of a BMW?

Jason

Prothos
05-14-2008, 08:15 AM
looks like some retro 50's design. The color is horrid.

DFW_Warrior
05-14-2008, 08:24 AM
come on, I know the Chinese are masters at "knocking off" other companies designs and that they're selling a lot little bikes all around the world. But what market is that *** intented for?
We're so "image conscious" that we have a hard time riding a scooter for "fear of what people might think".
How could I ever face the motorcycle riding public riding a poorly done, ugly copy of a BMW?

Jason

I don't know, the Japanese did a pretty darn good job of knocking off Harley's designs and look where they are now. I do remember that 10-15 years ago, you wouldn't want to be caught dead on a Jap wannabe cruiser that looked like a Harley.

DaveC
05-14-2008, 09:04 AM
I don't know, the Japanese did a pretty darn good job of knocking off Harley's designs and look where they are now. I do remember that 10-15 years ago, you wouldn't want to be caught dead on a Jap wannabe cruiser that looked like a Harley.

They didn't look like Harleys 15 years ago, they looked like Jap bikes with stepped seats, some weird plumbing around the motors and taller bars that layed almost in your lap.:lol2:
The only people that thought they were Harleys are the same ones that call a 1800 Wing a Harley:doh:

DFW_Warrior
05-14-2008, 09:15 AM
They didn't look like Harleys 15 years ago, they looked like Jap bikes with stepped seats, some weird plumbing around the motors and taller bars that layed almost in your lap.:lol2:
The only people that thought they were Harleys are the same ones that call a 1800 Wing a Harley:doh:

The 1996 Honda Shadow 1100 American Classic Edition did in fact look like a Harley. I should know, I had one way back when. Also there were rumors that Harley tried to sue Honda over the introduction of this bike, but failed.

leekellerking
05-14-2008, 09:30 AM
The 1996 Honda Shadow 1100 American Classic Edition did in fact look like a Harley. I should know, I had one way back when. Also there were rumors that Harley tried to sue Honda over the introduction of this bike, but failed.

Well, Harley tried to copyright the SOUND of a 90 degree vee twin. Didn't work, but they tried.

Lee

Fourvalve
05-14-2008, 12:54 PM
That big handle is the nut cracker...

CrazyCarl
05-17-2008, 12:57 PM

How about if that poorly done, ugly copy of a BMW go you home from work everyday for a fraction of the cost of a real one?

Consider the creation of a new motorcycle market...one that doesn't care how they look. Consider the possibility of a motorcycling in North America which is less a fashion or lifestyle statement but more an affordable and fun means of transportation. How many Honda Civic, Ford Tempo and Dodge Shadow drivers out there you think really care how their car looks? And why should someone who rides a more expensive bike than me care what I ride? What's important is the two wheels right? ****, I wave at cyclists!

If you've ever been out of America and spent 10 minutes in a developing nation you'll know what I'm talking about. Not everyone in America is rich and not everyone needs BMW's or KTM's. People have different needs for transportation and manufacture vehicles to meet those needs. Chinese bikes are still growing but they have more potential than any of us can imagine at this point. After the first few get weeded out, it may lead to a more competitive market overall which only means more options for consumers.

At the end of the day, 9 times out of 10 it's the rider that places limitations on what he can accomplish with the machine, not the other way around. The question is, "What kind of rider are you?" The answers are many.

CC

ben1364
05-17-2008, 02:06 PM
At least it's not shaft driven. It looks like they've learned from the mistakes of Bimmer.

It's Beemer if it has 2 wheels. ;-)

This looks a lot like an F-650 which never had shaft drive, unlike the very first production BMW in 1923 which had a shaft and a horizontally opposed engine.

ColGoodnight
05-18-2008, 12:28 AM
Well, Harley tried to copyright the SOUND of a 90 degree vee twin.

Harley tried to copyright the sound of a Ducati or Moto Guzzi? ;)

Best,
Tom

DFW_Warrior
05-18-2008, 08:13 PM
It's Beemer if it has 2 wheels. ;-)

Not in my world... it's bimmer one way or another to me.

Tracker
05-18-2008, 11:15 PM
I thought Harley sued not only on the sound issue but for using a single pin crank, which Honda dropped after a year and went to a double pin crank (IIRC).

ben1364
05-19-2008, 07:57 AM

Bimmers are cages. They came along several years after Beemers.

ColGoodnight
05-19-2008, 08:07 AM
Bimmers are cages. They came along several years after Beemers.

Bummer.

Tom

DFW_Warrior
05-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Bummer.

Tom

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Shaggy
07-31-2008, 04:43 PM

So "willie" can hang on too!!!

ben1364
07-31-2008, 05:54 PM

I support your right to be uninformed. ;-)

h2000fb
08-11-2008, 11:10 PM

Or, when my Suzuki broke a connecting rod :doh: , or when my Kawasaki sheared the key on the its flywheel :eek2: .....

I don't think any of us were happy no matter what bike we rode. :trust:

h2000fb
08-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Uuhhhhh!
I'd like to come up with some quick witted insult to impress yall and let you know what I think of that thing...but all I can say is YUCK!!!!!!!!!

Jason

The F650CS was not a great looking bike. Ran nice, but looks just did not do for many people. So.... why copy that and make it look worse?

ColGoodnight
08-20-2008, 08:16 AM
I saw one of these in traffic the other day in Plano. With a rider on board and actually moving it looked better than the still photographs.

I've also started seeing Zongshen 250GS's and American Lifan LY200iii's sport standards around and I've seen a number of CFMoto V5 CVT motorbikes. I even saw a Zongshen Storm 250 cruiser in my neighborhood.

The Chinese. They're here.

Tom

ToroGuy
08-20-2008, 09:16 AM
I assumed the Chinese copy artist were a lot smarter than this...why copy a BMW instead of a reliable MC with a good reputation?? ;-)