• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Reducing handlebar reach

Reaction score
Hey guys...I've got a couple of long rides and it feels like the bars need to come back a bit to reduce the reach a little...Anyone know off hand some handlebars that extend further back towards the rider ? I'm not sure if it's just the angle of bars or that I'm leaning to reach them a bit...No wrist, elbow, or shoulder pain...Just a cramp at the base of the neck right between the trapezius...Anyone experience something similar ?

Did a search and found a couple of handlebar threads, but nothing about reducing reach...

Sounds like your a good candidate for some risers. I don't own a Bandit but I'm sure risers are available in the aftermarket.

Many of us have installed the Bikemaster daytona bar. less than 20.00 , They come in black or chrome, and most of us have cut a 1/2" off the ends after installing then again removing to do so, might save you the extra work if you get a pair, they give me a more upright sit with a more aggresive feel, seem to be a little taller bar and not turned in as much as stock, go to bikemaster.com or i found mine at TJ,s cycle on n.lamar here in AUS.

For a cheap set of risers you can simply pick up a set of stock upper clamps (~$17.00 each suzuki part # 56211-17G00-13L) and invert them. Use an appropriately longer bolt available from any local bolt supply store.
Run a file over them to open them up just a touch and bolt them in along with the stock set to clamp the bar.

I found this tip on another forum somewhere but can't remember the exact source. If anyone knows where or if they've tried it, please chime in.

and you thought the bandit, had a long reach to the handlebar? from the look on his face, i think he might change what he has back to stock.

img3361mq6.jpg

Everybody is too creative for me. I just got a set from GenMar which raises the bar plus brings it back. Will just fit with stock front brake line, etc. on the 1250.

Surprisingly, this was the most comfortable thing I did to the bike since it relaxed my posture so much.

Aloha,
Huladog

i had the 2 bolts, and i used a hacksaw to cut one long spacer into 2 short ones, this cost me nothing but time.

img2693ib5.jpg

i have since dumped the wire guides, useless as they are.

Everybody is too creative for me. I just got a set from GenMar which raises the bar plus brings it back. Will just fit with stock front brake line, etc. on the 1250.

Surprisingly, this was the most comfortable thing I did to the bike since it relaxed my posture so much.

Aloha,
Huladog

Sounds nice...No difficulty with the brake/clutch lines ? Do you have a pic ?

Mine had Genmars I never installed them. If anything I am already too upright and relaxed in stock form. :shrug:

Sounds nice...No difficulty with the brake/clutch lines ? Do you have a pic ?

Sorry to cross-post from the other forum but this message thread was what I used as reference before I ordered my GenMar risers.

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php/topic,62661.0.html

For me, no problems with brake or clutch hydraulic lines or wiring. When you install just loosen routing brackets and guides to free up tiny bits of slack on the lines. I'll get some braided stainless steel brake lines soon since the rubber front brake hoses are kinda maxed out as far as the length, it's OK, but I would feel a bit better if I had more slack just in case.

When you mount risers be sure to turn your bars full lock left and right slowly and carefully so you can check for clearances. You don't want to find out on your first test ride that you cannot turn the bars or they get stuck at full lock and you can't straighten them out. Kinda obvious but you really don't want that kind of surprises when you first pull out of your driveway into traffic.

Aloha,
Huladog

Wondering if anyone with an ABS model has installed risers and if replacing the brake lines is necessary, or if the stock lines have enough slack to accomodate?

Wondering if anyone with an ABS model has installed risers and if replacing the brake lines is necessary, or if the stock lines have enough slack to accomodate?
mine had them from the PO, I never ran them. Genmar up/back risers

I installed the same risers on my bike with ABS. The lines are tight but it makes it. I did want to rotate the bars back a little more but the lines restrict that. Works fine.
Thanks, sailor. No problem then from lock to lock?

Installed risers that raise the bars about an inch+ and bring them back about an inch+. Needed a longer brake line.

:rider:

Back