• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

removing front axle.how to?

Marc B

Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Briggs
These front axles are new to me, Ive loosened the axle clamps at the bottom of the fork legs, do you turn the axle counter clockwise from the right side to get it out? I dont want to cause damage to anything, Im used to the old front axle set up that was same as the back, Thanks.

These front axles are new to me, Ive loosened the axle clamps at the bottom of the fork legs, do you turn the axle counter clockwise from the right side to get it out? I dont want to cause damage to anything, Im used to the old front axle set up that was same as the back, Thanks.
Wheels and Tires: 2D-6
Front Wheel Assembly Removal and Installation B718H12406003
Removal
1) Raise the front wheel off the ground and support the
motorcycle with a jack or a wooden block.
CAUTION !
Do not carry out the work with the
motorcycle resting on the side-stand. Do not
support the motorcycle with the exhaust
pipes. Make sure that the motorcycle is
supported securely.
2) Remove the front wheel speed sensor by removing
the mounting bolts. (GSF1250A/SA) Refer to “Front
Wheel Speed Sensor Removal and Installation in
Section 4E (Page 4E-71)”.
3) Remove the brake calipers. Refer to “Front Brake
Caliper Removal and Installation in Section 4B
(Page 4B-3)”.
CAUTION !
Do not operate the brake lever while
removing the caliper.
4) Loosen two axle pinch bolts (1) on the right front fork
leg.
5) Remove the front axle bolt (2).
6) Loosen two axle pinch bolts (3) on the left front fork
leg.
7) Draw out the front axle and remove the front wheel.
NOTE
After removing the front wheel, fit the
calipers temporarily to the original positions.
8) Remove the collar (4) (GSF1250/S) or front wheel
speed sensor bracket (5) (GSF1250A/SA).
GSF1250/S
GSF1250A/SA
I718H1240004-03
I718H1240005-01
I718H1240006-02
I718H1240008-02
I718H1240007-02

Why are you removing the wheel? If it is ridable, I'm sure I have all the tools to do it. If not, maybe I can mount a rescue mission at your place. It beats mowing. :trust:

Thankyall for all the info, sorry for the delayed reply, I called my dealer and he said tire mounting was 17.00 on the bike or not, I decided to hold off on the front tire for a while longer and went ahead and bought a rear pilot-road for 134.00 + 17.00 for mounting. Total 168.00 with tax. first i went to cyclegear and they wanted 159.00 for the same tire + 20.00 for mount so i bailed and called the dealer, the stock rear lasted 3400 mi thats with some hooligans, I might get another grand out of the front, it still has some meat left on it..Thanks for the offers to help and the link rworm, I will use it at a later date im sure. SZ.:sun:

there is nothing new about the front axle clamp. if you are unsure of how it dissassembles, i would suggest you not working on it. $20 for a tire install is cheap, cheap, cheap. ( i would get them to look at the rim with you first before they change the tire, and after. to see who's responsible for any damage)

There is no damage, I didnt want to cause any by jacking with it not knowing this set up, it is NEW to me, I want to learn about it or anything before tearing into it, If i had it my way the dealer would never see it again except for mounting tires at 17.00 a piece. I put out the request for how to, knowing that this forum would be the best place to ask. Thanks.

Back