• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Full exhaust 1250s

Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Hello,

I am new to the group but I have been looking to find stuff about my 1250s. I was wondering if anyone has done a full exhaust system and if so does any one have anything to say about the akrapovic full exhaust for this bike? Any info is will help. Played with cars in my time but first time tinkering with a motorcycle so don't mind if I am a little slow.

Dale Walker at Holeshot (www.holeshot.com) is working of his full system.

He's been posting over at Max-Suk (http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php/topic,64284.0.html). You have to be registered to view over there, but if you're not... here's stock vs. his results so far:

1250dyno08.jpg

Yeah, that's almost 25hp and 10ft/lb tq over stock :eek:

Dale builds top-notch stuff, I've had his parts on my last two bikes and have been very impressed...

FWIW, Dale is very straight-forward and honest with his dyno results and research.. there's something about the Akra system that seems off... The weird dip in the power curve is completely missing from their dyno charts. Dale's working on fixing it, but why isn't it present at all for Akra? Makes me wonder if they just smoothed it over to make it look better...

trey

I use only a Akrapovic slip on.
But I have information of another biker who uses the full exhaust.
The noise is not too strong and the mass decreases from 13 kg to 6 kg.
The workmanship is of high quality as always with Akrapovic.
For the performance, see the Akrapovic curves .
Hi to all on TWT

RDKR 350

akrapovicgsf12qq5.jpg

akrapovicgsf9uz0.jpg
akrapovicgsf10br2.gif

akrapovicgsf8vp5.jpg

akrapovicgsf11qg5.jpg

Arrow do a full system for the 1250 and while I haven't tried it (it's top of my list since Holeshot failed to reply to my enquiries) I have used Arrow systems on a couple of other bikes and they're very well built.

vis_img.asp

The price is putting me off at the moment, particularly as I don't want a full system (I already have a Yoshimura can that I've very happy with and works with my panniers) but the temptation is strong.....and it's cheaper than the Akrapovic titanium system

I have looked into the arrow exhaust but have only found it in the outside the US. I have heard holeshot is awesome but I think that impatients is getting to me. I went for a full yoshi system but they had quit selling it for the 1250s. If those dyno charts are true for the holeshot system though it would be worth the wait.

If those dyno charts are true for the holeshot system though it would be worth the wait.

I don't think there'll be much that the Holeshot system offers that Arrow/Akrapovic (and any others that come out in the mean time) don't. The main power gain comes from losing the catalytic converter - after that it's a case of balancing the pipes to optimise torque and power across the rev range. You may get a couple of horsepower/lbft difference between systems but I doubt it'll be noticeable on the road.

Remember that the Holeshot dyno chart is for a bike with ALL their mods - headers, can, filter, airbox, mapping changes etc whereas other manufacturers are highly unlikely to have optimised the rest of the bike in quite the same way when producing a dyno chart.

My choice will be purely down to price and availability - I trust that with proper setup the results will be close enough to the Holeshot figures as to make no difference. Anyway, I'm not chasing peak power (I'm old enough not to need to brag about figures in the pub) but improved rideability.

The akro's chart doesn't appear to be with a power commander or TFI so the numbers might be better with some tuning...

How much total weight loss is the full exhaust over stock ?

Dale Walker at Holeshot (www.holeshot.com) is working of his full system.

He's been posting over at Max-Suk (http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php/topic,64284.0.html). You have to be registered to view over there, but if you're not... here's stock vs. his results so far:

1250dyno08.jpg

Yeah, that's almost 25hp and 10ft/lb tq over stock :eek:

Wow...85 ft.lbs torque at 2500 rpm!!!

Even in stock form it's making more torque than the concours 14 from 2500 to 3200 rpm...At 2,500 the stock bandit makes about 10ft. lbs more torque..With the full system and TFI it's 20 ft lbs's more than the stock concours....

Got this from Dale's post at maximum-suzuki....

"I'm snickering now guys because i spent 5 more hours on the dyno today and found something with the secondary butterflies. I'm not done yet..............but i am done for now and out of time.

134 HP @ 95 to 96 ft lbs 4 times ................not to bad for this sled"

That's a full exhaust, tfi box and no flies...Very minimal mods and huge gains...

That's quite a bit lighter....I'm sure there has to be more gains with the Akro with some tuning...

Remember that weight saving is on a full titanium system compared to the stock stainless one - it's not just in the headers. I guess that 2/3 or so is saved by the can, the other 1/3 in the headers by losing the cat.

What is the cost for the Akrapovic system? I can't find a US dealer with prices listed.

The akra system is 1265.99 US Dollars. that is why i am waiting on buying the full. However you will not find it unless you contact Lockhart Phillips directly. Then they have to special order it and they will tell you it will take 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. If you get the run around just keep trying it took me a while to find this information out. When july rolls around i will probably decide on a system. sorry if this is hard to read i might be slightly inebriated.
best of luck in your search. ohhh and arrow has a full but the only place i found with it is in the U.K. and they didn't ship to the U.S. so if you want that system check out Canada importers and try your luck.

Thanks, Screwcap. You came through loud and clear so have another drink! :mrgreen:
I'm waiting for Dale Walker's full system to come out to compare to Akrapovic's.
Then I'll begin negotiating with my wife for the funds - she's Chairman of the Appropriations Committee!

The no flies dyno chart will be interesting....96 ft. lbs torque...I'd like to see what it does in the low end...

Have you adjusted the air/fuel ratio with a pc or tfi box ? Be careful because it could make it run very lean when you remove the flies without adjusting the fuel....

Reviving this thread? I'm intrigued by the looks of the Akrapovic slip on, but I am having trouble finding the cost for just that. Do any of you know it? I assume the $1300 price mentioned above is the full system (headers included).

Before I call the local dealer, I thought I'd bug you all...

The akro sytem when I priced just the slip on was around 5 bills. My memory might be a little fogged but I am sure it was around there; give or take 50 bucks. When I talked to the distributors I was informed that if you go slip on now, you would still have to by a full system later. Something about compatability issues. The only one that offer a slip on to header is Dale Walker. Hindle told me it is still in development. The header is suppose to go with any slip on. I decided to try a mix of a two bros. slip on "that I picked up for 300.00" and a gut of the cat, with a power commander. I got it "tuned" and wasn't really impress with the experience but the numbers were optimistic at peak hp of 132.something and 87.something on torque. Still haven't hear much about arrow, hindle, or yoshi, but I guess that is what happens when you are riding one of 10 bandit 1250ses in arizona. (the last part might be a slight exageration)

Main point....If they list it in a catalog without a price or don't list it at all, call all the main lines for distribution and they will find someone willing to take your money and give you a product.

I believe Dale's claims are...... optimistic.

With every step of upgrading my 1250, the only figures we have in common are our factory numbers sans mods. And his figures were generated at the same sea level and west coast conditions that I live in.

I don't have his full header system, but I do have a clean elimination of the CAT' from the OEM headers. My secondaries are removed, Dobek TFI with his settings in place, air box mod, K&N, TB's synched, valves recently checked, etc......

and my perfect air/fuel ratio registers on a DYNOJET a mere,
116 Max Power -with- 81.45 Max Torque

I'm just saying, do your mods with no anxious expectations, EXCEPT perhaps improved throttle response.

(By the way, I haven't added one of those gear indicators that does something to the advance...... I guess I could spend more money on the Bandit if I wanted)

Hey Fitty, did you do a stock dyno run as a baseline on the same dyno to see what the improvements were after you installed your mods ?

Perhaps the one you used reads a bit low or Dales reads a bit high or some sort of combination between the two...But I'm wondering what your stock run would have read on that dyno....Nevertheless, how much of an improvement were you able to notice by over stock ? Or do you think all the mods might be overrated ?

Cutting to the chase, I think the mods are overrated. If I knew then what I know now, I woulda done nothing more than a 1" hole in the airbox and a 17" Street Holeshot slip-on. For suspension, nothing more than a forkbrace and replace the springs in the front tubes.

My base line run resulted in:

104.66 hp / 80.08 torque

when I stepped everything up I went to:

115.33 hp / 83.17 torque

with the CAT'less headers and secondaries removed:

116.00 hp / 81.45 torque

In the interest of full disclosure, the third reading was taken on the same type DYNOJET, but 20 miles removed from the first two runs. All at sea level, all under similar ambiant conditions.

I felt a in the pants throttle twisting BIG - HUGH - and I mean HUGH difference between Bluebandit's when he had the full Dale Walker stage 2 with aftermarket can and a catless stock header compared to my stock (ex for K&N filter) Bandit 1250.

At least my stock brakes puts his stainless braided lines to shame.

Back