• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Does this radiator fan ever come on?

Reaction score
I’ve got about 1000 miles on my ’07 1250 but I’ve never had the radiator fan come on – or at least I’ve never heard or felt it come on. I’ve had the bike out in 85 degree+ traffic and freeway and when I get back home I’ve let it run several minutes but no fan. The bike is not overheating and running GREAT. What does the fan sound like / feel like when it comes on? Maybe it’s just real quiet?

Not a big deal - ust curious to see what others experience is. One day soon I’ll just let the thing idle until it comes on. I live in Dallas so it won’t be long before the 100+ days hit. That ought to get that fan running???

Thanks,

Ol Dave

Yeah they come on but they are hard to hear out in traffic,redlights etc. I dont really ever hear mine till i pull in the garage, Then I hear it, I was wondering the same thing because the last liquid cooled bike i had, you knew when it came on from the roar. also if you take a spin wearing shorts, you will really feel it when it starts grilling your legs while sitting still.

Having lost at least three car engines over the years to electric cooling fan malfunctions over the years ; I am very paranoid about not knowing if they are blowing or not. I've never heard mine kick in either

Mine comes on pretty regularly in traffic once the temps are in the 80's. It's not very loud, but you can hear it if you know what you're listening for. With my face sheild up in standstill traffic, I can feel the heat coming up from the motor more when the fan is on.

I *REALLY* wish the Bandit had a temp gauge like my SV650, even if the fan is coming on, I'm going to be paranoid this summer in 100+ temps and bumper to bumper traffic...

trey

I *REALLY* wish the Bandit had a temp gauge like my SV650, even if the fan is coming on, I'm going to be paranoid this summer in 100+ temps and bumper to bumper traffic...

trey
HUGE gripe of mine on this bike. Heck my KLR had one. Come one, if it's liquid cooled, there needs to be a gauge. Thinking of wiring up a tiny light that pops on when the fan comes on. Overheating brings the suck

I've never heard mine come on....And we've had 89 degree weather and VERY humid the other day....So humid it was hazy outside.

My RC51 fan came on all the time even in cold weather.

I'm thinking the bandit just runs cooler...Being a bike without fairings allows heat to escape faster so that may play a factor.

Up here in Wisconsin, we have only had two days in the 70's this spring. Most of my riding has been in 60 degree or less temps, and my fan comes on regularly. Even on some of those 38 degree days, I was surprised to hear the fan come on.

i like to think i am sensitive to what happens on my bike, and i have never heard the fan come on. i was once stuck in traffic, on a hot day, traveling for miles in stop and go traffic light to traffic light, i would have thought it would have come on then, and constantly checking to see if it ever it, it didnt.

i would think i need to let it sit and idle for some time for it to come on.

contrary to others, i cant see the need for a temp guage?
if one would be needed, wouldnt you need one for other more important things like tire pressure, or oil temp, or battery fluid level?

can someone post a video of what it looks like when the fan comes on?

Suzukijo:

Doin' stuff on the Bandit now, but I usually run around a lot more on the SV650n (with a temp gauge) - more fun, great V-twin DW pipe, & 56mpg!

Anyway, the SV runs typically (ambients up to low 80's occasionally) at 168-173 degrees (a little cooler during winter) so I'm assuming the Bandit's tech for cooling is very similar. The SV's fan also seldom comes on. On a couple of warm days having to sit in traffic at long light, the engine temp hit 221 before the fan came on. It stayed on until temp dropped to 216 then shut off. I'm assuming the cooling tech of the two bikes is probably similar so hope this info helps.

I'm considering mounting a temp gauge on side panel of Bandit's inner fairing, and perhaps oil pressure on opposite side.

I have 1.3 miles of rough gravel road to get from and to my house so I go really slow, leaving out the fan rarely comes on before I hit some pavement, after coming in from a ride about half way down my road the fan will come on and cycle till I get parked, the fan only runs for a short time and then shuts back off, I never noticed it to come on down the hwy even traveling at low speeds, seems to me that the Bandit’s cooling system works very well.

Since you installed the gauge what temps does it run at ?

Started cold,let idle,13 mins later fan on, gauge reading,no VIDEO of fan though
75 here and look at the pollen/next up on the needle is 190,kinda hard to tell

bandit131.jpg

i finally noticed my fan running. i had sat at a stop-light for the longest time, as i was the last one in line and didnt make it thru the previous light, and was gassing up right after that after a long 175 mi ride, and when i restarted after refueling, when i turned on the key to start the bike, the fan came on, stayed on for 30 sec, then cycled off.

now i know my fan works. yours will too, no guage needed.

Yep it comes on. Mine was on last saturday night on Highway 400 out of Atlanta in 6 lanes of stopped traffic. I broke the law eventually, I lane split to the shoudler lane and rode it for about 2 miles. Fan eventually went off, cage drivers were all pissed blowing their horns and yelling foul language at us. Screw 'em you should not have bought that ancient land barge.:lol2:

Yep it comes on. Mine was on last saturday night on Highway 400 out of Atlanta in 6 lanes of stopped traffic. I broke the law eventually, I lane split to the shoudler lane and rode it for about 2 miles. Fan eventually went off, cage drivers were all pissed blowing their horns and yelling foul language at us. Screw 'em you should not have bought that ancient land barge.:lol2:

On my trip up to Carson City Nv last weekend as I was riding around town in slow traffic the fan came on several times, and lane splitting is actually legal here in California. :rider:

Went riding today it is STEAMY humid and very warm in the DFW area and the fan didn't come on...My RC51 would definitely have the fan running in this type of weather as soon as I hit a couple of stop signs.
Got home and put my hand on the clutch cover and it didn't even feel very hot...

I'm thinking with this bike it takes quite a bit to really heat it up to get the temps high enough to get the fans to come on...No fairings and a very functional cooling system seems to help.

O.k....Finally, the fan came on for the very first time the other day...It was 96 degrees here and I did alot of stop and go riding..When I got to my garage while waiting for it to open I sat there for a minute to listen to the bike to check something...Then pulled in to the garage and right before I shut it off the fan came on...
I've never seen a bike run this cool.

The fan on my 1250 comes on quite frequently in stop-start town traffic. The fan on my old FJR hardly came on at all - that had a much bigger radiator.

I'm paranoid now since I just finished making a big overhaul on my bike and was just running it before I rode it and i noticed the fan never came on and I honestly don't ever remember seeing it come on when I rode it before. The engine is really hot to the touch after a short while. I tested all the wires and fuses and jumped the fan and it works so the only thing that could keep it from turning on is the temp switch on the radiator and I have no idea how to test that to make sure it's in working order. Gah

Back