PDA

View Full Version : OEM Sidecase Rack vs. Givi PLX539

treybrad
04-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Well, after thinking that the Givi PLX rack was the only rack that would mate with the smaller V35 sidecases, I just noticed that the Suzuki OEM rack utilizes the same cases :doh:. I was thinking the Suzuki gear utilized the larger E-series cases like PhilS runs...

So, I know the Givi PLX rack tucks the cases in a little more snug than the OEM rack (PN #990D0-17H00-065), but just how much?

Can someone with the OEM rack post up a straight-on shot from the rear? Roy posted up this shot of his Givi PLX rack:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3062&d=1185587301

I'm looking for the same shot, but with the OEM rack. Anyone?

trey

sjc3rd
04-27-2008, 02:31 PM
I think I have attached a picture, if I did it right, of a rear shot 07 Bandit with OEM rack with bags attached.

FroggyBandit
04-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Does anyone know if you can mount the large top box from JC Whitney onto the side mounts from the suzuki oem rack ??

treybrad
04-28-2008, 01:06 PM
I think I have attached a picture, if I did it right, of a rear shot 07 Bandit with OEM rack with bags attached.

Perfect! That's just the shot I was looking for. They don't appear to be any further out, at least not by much. Height looks to be the same on both.

The bar that's right under the license plate light, is that the "Side Mount Bar"? I thought that wasn't needed if you have the top case rack, maybe it's something else?

Does anyone know if you can mount the large top box from JC Whitney onto the side mounts from the suzuki oem rack ??

I don't think it'll work, but I'm not positive. If you wanted to use the JC Whitney trunks as sidecases, you'd need to get the Givi PL539. The PLX racks (like the OEM Suzuki rack) is unique to the V series cases.

trey

sjc3rd
04-28-2008, 05:25 PM
The bar under the license plate is a connector/brace bar. It connects the side racks together with two bolts at each end, it looks important to me. I looked at it up close and I don't think you could make it work without it. It is a very stable package.

bones
04-29-2008, 08:31 AM
As much as it pains me to say it, I may end up buying the SW Motech side racks (already have their top case mount) and GIVI cases soon. I hate only having my large GIVI trunk and then harnessing my Wolfman bag in front of that. Plus I am considering some 2up so it'd be a given if that happens.

gringostd
05-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Does anyone know if SM-Motech or any other manufacturer [Suzuki?] makes mounts to adapt these, more form-fitted cases to the last generation Bandit [2001]. I'd like to find better-fitting bags for this bike - otherwise it's Pelican's on the flat SW Motechs.

Roy
05-02-2008, 07:37 AM
I like my Givi side racks/bags and top bag setup it is wonderful on a trip, unlock carry into the motel/cabin or whatever. I had over 25 lbs in each case and no problems two up.

Terizius
05-02-2008, 05:01 PM
i just got back from a 500 mile trip with over 30 lbs in each side case.. they held up great. I too would like them to be in closer though.. considering seeing if someone can do some cutting and welding to bring them in tighter..

sproggy
05-06-2008, 08:13 AM
As much as it pains me to say it, I may end up buying the SW Motech side racks (already have their top case mount) and GIVI cases soon.

Why does it pain you to say it? The price? That aside the SW-Motech side racks are excellent and the ability to remove them in seconds leaves you with a clean-looking bike when you don't need to use the cases. Just make sure you order a couple of locking mounts so no-one else can make your bike look similarly clean.......

I couldn't be happier with mine:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p91/ianspring/DSCN2820.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p91/ianspring/DSCN2818.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p91/ianspring/DSCN2869.jpg

bones
05-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Why does it pain you to say it? The price? That aside the SW-Motech side racks are excellent and the ability to remove them in seconds leaves you with a clean-looking bike when you don't need to use the cases. Just make sure you order a couple of locking mounts so no-one else can make your bike look similarly clean.......

I couldn't be happier with mine:

Cost is minimal to me, I just hate side cases. Time will tell. I am holding off on buying them until I absolutely have to have them.

Side note, do you like that rear tail light with the signals? I am about to buy one along with new fronts.

sproggy
05-07-2008, 03:04 AM
I'm not really keen on the tail light with integrated turn signals - from an aesthetic point of view I prefer a red lens to a clear one and from a safety (visibility) point of view I'd prefer to have the turn signals separate but it was a quick and easy solution to the clearance issues between the cases and the stock turn signals. It also allowed me to lose the separate licence plate lamp.

I suspect that by the time summer's over I'll have switched back to the stock unit and found an alternative turn signal arrangement that looks good and is more visible. One possibility is shortening the stalks of the stock turn signals somehow and reverting to the stock mounting position.

Regarding the side cases I generally prefer not to use them on most bikes because of width and aerodynamic issues but the PLX system keeps them well tucked in and even at an indicated 145mph the bike tracks straight without any stability issues. The same can't be said when the top box is fitted, though..... Of all the side cases I've used on various bikes only the ST1100 ones were better but that's no great surprise as they were designed in as part of the bike!

Terizius
05-07-2008, 01:00 PM
if your the electronics type, i made my own integrated tail light and used the stock red cover.. pics are in the mega thread, or if you want, i can send a few pics here. I also just installed proton lights which i highly recommend for your fronts as well as converted my running lights into blinkers

sproggy
05-07-2008, 02:15 PM
if your the electronics type, i made my own integrated tail light and used the stock red cover.. pics are in the mega thread, or if you want, i can send a few pics here.

Thanks - I saw your post when you did the mod. But in the UK turn signals have to be orange so I can't have a tail light with a red lens and integrated turn signals.

Terizius
05-07-2008, 07:00 PM
well.. the law is the same for the rear signals here in the states. Unfortunately, the pictures were deceiving but the blinker portion of the lights are amber leds, that even through the red lens appears very orange. i'll see if i can some more pics on different settings to show it a bit better...

Terizius
05-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Ok, here are a few more pics of the rear and front of the bike.. the pics still show the blinkers as more red than they really are.. but believe me, in person they wont be mistaken by "red" by anyone...I'm about to receive the OEM Trunk and will be making some lights for that as well..

sproggy
05-08-2008, 03:21 AM
well.. the law is the same for the rear signals here in the states. Unfortunately, the pictures were deceiving but the blinker portion of the lights are amber leds, that even through the red lens appears very orange.

Your laws must be more flexible than ours because we couldn't have a red lens for a turn signal irrespective of what colour the light appeared through it. Amber lenses with clear bulbs or clear lenses with amber bulbs - that's all we can use.

Terizius
05-08-2008, 08:49 AM
hmm.. i guess that does make it so that mine would be illegal over there.. I had origanallly thought about going with the clear lens.. but have decided since that i like the red well enough... I may get the other just to see though, if i can ever find just the lens, and not the whole thing, for sale

merchjo
08-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Hey Guys

I am a new owner of a 2008 1250SA and was wondering can you mount the factory side bags with a Givi Top bag. I have the Givi top bag from anouther motorcycle and ordered the top mount (monokey) and would like to see if anyone did this combo.

Thanks
Joe

sproggy
08-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Hey Guys

I am a new owner of a 2008 1250SA and was wondering can you mount the factory side bags with a Givi Top bag. I have the Givi top bag from anouther motorcycle and ordered the top mount (monokey) and would like to see if anyone did this combo.

Thanks
Joe

The 'factory' side bags are made by Givi - they're V35s. You'll have no trouble using any Givi top box with them. I have Givi V35s with an old Givi Maxia top box, all on SW Motech mounts but the same applies to Givi or Suzuki mounts. They're all designed to work as a 3-box system.

merchjo
09-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Great info

Thanks

bushmaster
09-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Here's a picture of my oem rack and case.

ORBrit
10-02-2008, 12:14 AM
So for clarification I can purchase the Suzuki OEM cases part number 990D0-V3500-000 and mount them on the OEM Suzuki mounts or the Givi PLX539 side mounts?

sproggy
10-02-2008, 05:38 AM
So for clarification I can purchase the Suzuki OEM cases part number 990D0-V3500-000 and mount them on the OEM Suzuki mounts or the Givi PLX539 side mounts?

Yes. Or the SW-Motech quick-release side mounts for the same panniers.

treybrad
02-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Can someone take some measurements for me? My OEM cases are supposed to ride the big brown truck to my house on Wednesday, and I want to know if I'm going to have to relocate my turn signals or not.

I've already replaced them with smaller ones, but I don't know if they're small enough. From the fender to the tip of the light it's just under 3.5". Will that clear the OEM setup, or should I just go ahead and find some shorter stalk signals?

trey

sproggy
02-01-2009, 01:26 PM
From the fender to the tip of the light it's just under 3.5". Will that clear the OEM setup, or should I just go ahead and find some shorter stalk signals?

I don't have OEM racks but my gut feeling is that 3.5" from fender to tip is way too wide to fit inside the cases. Check out this shot:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p91/ianspring/Duc_lights.jpg

You'll see that the turn signals (Ducati ones) mounted on the licence plate light bracket (i.e. much further in than the stock mounting position) just clear the cases - they're as close as they look! Pretty much anything fitted in the standard position will foul the cases.

Fittysom'n
02-01-2009, 01:40 PM
I gotta take a nap before readying for work, but I can upload a video I took of the SW Motech hardware in action. Video starts with a naked bike, seconds later w/full Krausers, seconds later, Krausers easily removed with the twist of the key to take up to the hotel room.

The stuff is amazing!

But I need a request to put it to my YouTube account if anybody wants to view it.

G'night!

streak07
02-01-2009, 03:40 PM
I'd like to see it, post it on up.

sjc3rd
02-01-2009, 04:00 PM
I have the OEM brackets and bags and the distance is about 3-3/8' in the center of the signal mount. Even if you could find ones that fit, there is a lot of "bracketry" where the light would be at the end of the stalk. I just used the supplied parts to move the stock signals so they are not in the way.

Fittysom'n
02-02-2009, 02:00 AM
Here ya go, ME putting my Krausers on the Fizzy via SW Motech's quick mount system. Turn the sound off, it's YouTube's idea of default sound to replace the music being played on my radio in the background while I was filming this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZITiK9IAkA
If I knew the SW Motech would mount with/to the OEM luggage rack I already have on the bike, I mighta chosen to go with SW again. But for the most part, I like to ride full time with bags in place.

treybrad
02-02-2009, 08:46 AM
I have the OEM brackets and bags and the distance is about 3-3/8' in the center of the signal mount. Even if you could find ones that fit, there is a lot of "bracketry" where the light would be at the end of the stalk. I just used the supplied parts to move the stock signals so they are not in the way.

Thanks for the measurements. Sounds like it'll be close... guess I'll just have to wait and see what my options are...

trey

treybrad
02-04-2009, 09:29 PM
So I got my bags installed tonight but I've got one problem...

Did anyone else NOT order a color insert? I didn't really want the extra bling or something else to scratch, so I didn't. Problem is, without the insert, the reflectors have no way to attach to the cases (unless you use electrical tape and have it look like crap...).

Was I supposed to get a matte insert to at least complete the bags, or is this just how it is? Are the Givi bags different here?

:giveup:

trey

Fittysom'n
02-04-2009, 11:23 PM
I did the same thing when I ordered my top case..... needless to say, I've since sprung for the color matched panel.

sproggy
02-05-2009, 03:37 AM
So I got my bags installed tonight but I've got one problem...

Did anyone else NOT order a color insert? I didn't really want the extra bling or something else to scratch, so I didn't. Problem is, without the insert, the reflectors have no way to attach to the cases (unless you use electrical tape and have it look like crap...).

Was I supposed to get a matte insert to at least complete the bags, or is this just how it is? Are the Givi bags different here?

The Givi bags are available either with a colour-matched insert or with a plain (satin black) one. The plain version is cheaper and, in my mind, more practical so that's what I ordered. There are still inserts, but they're plain plastic.

As far as I'm aware the Suzuki ones are supposed to have a colour-matched insert - there is no plain option.

So you have two choices - either go and order colour panels from your Suzuki dealer or order two 'plain' panels from a Givi supplier, assuming they're available separately. My guess is that they would be because Givi are really good on spare parts and quite reasonably priced too in my experience.

Colour-matched insert:

http://www.mandp.co.uk/netalogue/photos/medium/560392.jpg

Plain insert:

http://www.motorbikesandparts.co.uk/images/givi_V35N.jpg

treybrad
02-05-2009, 08:08 AM
The Givi bags are available either with a colour-matched insert or with a plain (satin black) one. The plain version is cheaper and, in my mind, more practical so that's what I ordered. There are still inserts, but they're plain plastic.

As far as I'm aware the Suzuki ones are supposed to have a colour-matched insert - there is no plain option.

So you have two choices - either go and order colour panels from your Suzuki dealer or order two 'plain' panels from a Givi supplier, assuming they're available separately. My guess is that they would be because Givi are really good on spare parts and quite reasonably priced too in my experience.

Good info Sproggy and Fitty. Needless to say I was a little surprised when I took the cases out of the box and the reflectors just fell off... I really don't want to spend another $100 on color panels that I don't want. I'll get in touch with a Givi supplier and see what they have to say.

Who has a good supply of Givi products with decent pricing? Twisted Throttle as good as anyone? Hopefully I can get a couple of peices of plain plastic mailed to me for ~$50...

trey

Fittysom'n
02-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Absolutely amazing how the color matched panel(s) compliments the overall appearance of the bike. Like I say, I only have the top box so far and considered the matte finish, but am glad I got the gloss black (with it's deep metallic blue flakes in the paint).

Without a doubt, I won't be trying to save money on the panels when I get the bags. However I can easily see how/why the matte finish might be more durable. You're gonna throw a leg over one day and brush yer boot against the (once) pretty gloss finish, D'OH!

I just ordered some stuff for my gas tank to replace that ugly tank bra. I plan to put it on my luggage rack to snug the top box up, as well as over the resulting scuffs/scratches that rear their ugly little heads before/after they occur. That may be to include the corner of the fairing from a parking lot drop, or that part of the color matched panel that got damaged while I try to throw my 24" inseam over the saddle.
http://www.techspec-usa.com/overview.html
(RennTech engine guards are on their way.....)

treybrad
02-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Absolutely amazing how the color matched panel(s) compliments the overall appearance of the bike. Like I say, I only have the top box so far and considered the matte finish, but am glad I got the gloss black (with it's deep metallic blue flakes in the paint).

I don't doubt that they look good but.... my bike is rarely clean enough for me to tell what color it is in the first place....

http://webspace.utexas.edu/treybrad/www/bandit/road2/8000/filthy.jpg

Such is the life of the daily commuter... :giveup:

Let us know how the grip stuff works. I know the SV community LOVED the StompGrip pads:

http://www.fastbikesmag.com/page/fastbikes?entry=used_product_stomp_grip

trey

treybrad
02-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Well, Givi says that the matte covers are the same price as the glossy ones when purchased seperately... $105.00 :eek2:

Guess I'll just deal with the electrical tape :doh:

trey

streak07
02-05-2009, 04:23 PM
$83 here

http://shop.everythingsuzuki.com/category.sc?categoryId=210

treybrad
02-05-2009, 04:51 PM
$83 here

http://shop.everythingsuzuki.com/category.sc?categoryId=210

Right, that's for the color panel. I thought the matte unfinished one would be cheaper, but it's not.

If I ever do get panels, I guess I'll go classy and get the color one since it's cheaper :lol2:

trey

theopj
02-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Have you tried looking for Kappa K33 Cases instead? they are the same boxes and made in the same factory, but they are much cheaper (100 in the uk). They are Matt black all over.

footballboy3
10-10-2009, 01:32 AM
sorry to dig up an oldish post, but I need some help. I have a 2008 Bandit 1250 with OEM SIDE CASES only. I would like to attach a top rack to carry some soft luggage or maybe helen twowheels type dry bags. What is the OEM PN for the top rack and is it a simple bolt-on piece or does it replace something on the side racks? Will an SW Motech Alu-rack top rack fit on with the OEM SIDE Racks? Will a Givi top rack work as a simple bolt-on with the OEM SIDE RACKS? Basically I need to know if I can mix and match between OEM, Givi, SW-Motech, what works with what since I already have OEM SIDE CASES. Sorry if I'm confusing and sorry for the need to be spoon fed this info, but I really want to order a rack for an upcoming camping trip and I want to get the right rack the first time. Thanks in advance.

rhenriksen
10-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Sorry to see Footballboy's first & only post never got any love!

You can get the OEM part numbers from the drop down list on this page:

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/bandit-sport-touring-detachable-luggage-gsf1250-bandit-2007-08.html

I'm finally needing to take the plunge on side cases for my '07. I bought the OEM top rack from Oneida back in '07 as it didn't place the topbox as high or far back as the Givi rack. But from what my squinty eyes can discern from photos on this thread, it looks like the Givi side racks might keep the side bags tucked in tighter than OEM? If so, does anyone know if I can use Givi side mounts with the OEM top rack?

TIA!