• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Black Bars/Tree

rworm

Reaction score
In the never ending pursuit of happiness:sun:
I like the way the factory bars fit me/So i got them blasted yesterday along with the tree/they are baking now and about ready,so when they cool i'll get it back together with some pics./ Me and the lathe have been turning aluminum trying to come up with a new bar end that looks decent and maybe i'll have that done also
bandit118.jpg

rworm

I am having fun:trust:
In a post a while back(I cant find it:doh:)
I use high heat paint with ceramic/have old oven out of house i use as a kiln/heat it up to 500 and let parts set in it, around 30 minutes/it puts a hard coating on them that regular paint cant stand up to
rworm

I am having fun:trust:
In a post a while back(I cant find it:doh:)
I use high heat paint with ceramic/have old oven out of house i use as a kiln/heat it up to 500 and let parts set in it, around 30 minutes/it puts a hard coating on them that regular paint cant stand up to
rworm
Oh cool. I have an old oven and powder coat setup, just have not used it yet and wondered any tips or tricks is all

Sweet ride! :clap:

Like the black tripleclamp. Any thoughts on replacing the chrome stem nut? Wonder if an aluminum one from a GSXR would fit?

Oh cool. I have an old oven and powder coat setup, just have not used it yet and wondered any tips or tricks is all

Sweet ride! :clap:

I have a powder coating shop and would be happy to give you some tips. I have done my rotors and a few other parts on the bike. Here is a link to my site and feel free to ask any questions.
www.Powdercoatingit.com

Thanks,

John

Thanks John. I need a 220 plug in my garage first. I have the basic Eastwood setup.

Quick question John. Doesn't coating the heads decrease heat transfer and lead to overheating? I know some heads are painted, but it would seem that a powder coat would be so thick and hard that the heat would get trapped. Is that a special coating or something that allows heat transfer or am I just an idiot?

The Bandit's water cooled engine has coolant flowing through the head. Any heat trapped by the thicker coating would simply be carried to the rad and dealt with there.
Next time you're out riding, reach down and put your hand on the cylinder head. It'll be ~180 degrees, the same temp that opens the thermostat.

Rworm,

The bike looks great, it should have come from the factory with black bars and tree (imo).
Any chance of a profile pic so we can see the overall result?

The Bandit's water cooled engine has coolant flowing through the head. Any heat trapped by the thicker coating would simply be carried to the rad and dealt with there.
Next time you're out riding, reach down and put your hand on the cylinder head. It'll be ~180 degrees, the same temp that opens the thermostat.

Rworm,

The bike looks great, it should have come from the factory with black bars and tree (imo).
Any chance of a profile pic so we can see the overall result?
Thanks Brass,
Heres a couple more pics/I have 1 of my bar ends made and just about finished with the 2nd
bandit122.jpg

bandit123.jpg

rworm

Oh I got it, just no ambition to mess with it. Friend that is an electronics enginerd is going to stop by to add in more garage plugs and the 220. More or less an excuse to drink beer

I have a whole list for tonight already

-load up old garage door for dump run
-drink beer
-tear down basketball hoop
-assemble deck chairs
-more beer
-fix new garage door opener
-garage organization
-way more beer

:zen:

I was actually reffering to some of the old harley heads John had powder coated on his web site. Those are most deffinately not water cooled heads.

Quick question John. Doesn't coating the heads decrease heat transfer and lead to overheating? I know some heads are painted, but it would seem that a powder coat would be so thick and hard that the heat would get trapped. Is that a special coating or something that allows heat transfer or am I just an idiot?

The powder is only .008 thick so it does not hold enough heat to make any difference in the way the enine would run. I have done hundreds of Harley heads and cylinders that are still as nice as the day they were done after 7 years and water cooled heads and cylinders would run cooler than the air cooled ones.

When people have their engines Chrome plated then there is a good chance for over heating and engine failure, but the powder can go on any metal part of the bike. Harley has been doing their engines for over 10 years with wrinkle black powder as well as their cases, frames etc. Many metric bikes are now powder coated as well.

Any other questions please let em know I will be happy to answer them.

Thanks,

John

Thanks, I didn't know if it was some "special" coating or if it was just a normal powder coat. I really like the look of the black crinkle with satin silver highlights. Yet another project to add to the list for the DR.

Nobody ever asked about vibration from taking rubber mounted weights off of end of bars/Well i worked on mine today as every other bike,wheeler what ever wanna make it vibrate less???
bandit125.jpg

Fill it with a ''self leveling adhesive''till it runs out the other end, pics are terrible and this is w/o BEER:rofl:
bandit127.jpg

this is the sealer i use in my gutter business,works great,fills all voids
bandit126.jpg

last pic is to show i ended up using spacer on inside with factory hardware,screw and backside of 1st grommet are visible and looks nice and makes bars way narrower:rider:
rworm

does the sealer completely fill the bars? Or does it sink to the middle?

How much does it reduce the vibes? I have a GS500 that makes my hands go numb and it doesn't help that one of the bar ends vibrated off.

Back