PDA

View Full Version : Black Bars/Tree

rworm
04-24-2008, 08:54 AM
In the never ending pursuit of happiness:sun:
I like the way the factory bars fit me/So i got them blasted yesterday along with the tree/they are baking now and about ready,so when they cool i'll get it back together with some pics./ Me and the lathe have been turning aluminum trying to come up with a new bar end that looks decent and maybe i'll have that done also
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh44/robertworm/bandit118.jpg
rworm

bones
04-24-2008, 09:15 AM
do you do your own powder coating?

GregH
04-24-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm thinking about taking some shop classes; you're having all of the fun...:mrgreen:

rworm
04-24-2008, 12:30 PM
I am having fun:trust:
In a post a while back(I cant find it:doh:)
I use high heat paint with ceramic/have old oven out of house i use as a kiln/heat it up to 500 and let parts set in it, around 30 minutes/it puts a hard coating on them that regular paint cant stand up to
rworm

bones
04-24-2008, 03:02 PM
I am having fun:trust:
In a post a while back(I cant find it:doh:)
I use high heat paint with ceramic/have old oven out of house i use as a kiln/heat it up to 500 and let parts set in it, around 30 minutes/it puts a hard coating on them that regular paint cant stand up to
rworm
Oh cool. I have an old oven and powder coat setup, just have not used it yet and wondered any tips or tricks is all

Sweet ride! :clap:

rworm
04-24-2008, 06:03 PM
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh44/robertworm/bandit121.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh44/robertworm/bandit119.jpg
rworm

Bear on a bicycle
04-24-2008, 07:26 PM
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

AXEL
04-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Like the black tripleclamp. Any thoughts on replacing the chrome stem nut? Wonder if an aluminum one from a GSXR would fit?

Precisioncoat1
04-25-2008, 06:04 AM
Oh cool. I have an old oven and powder coat setup, just have not used it yet and wondered any tips or tricks is all

Sweet ride! :clap:

I have a powder coating shop and would be happy to give you some tips. I have done my rotors and a few other parts on the bike. Here is a link to my site and feel free to ask any questions.
www.Powdercoatingit.com

Thanks,

John

bones
04-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Thanks John. I need a 220 plug in my garage first. I have the basic Eastwood setup.

Wastrel
04-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Quick question John. Doesn't coating the heads decrease heat transfer and lead to overheating? I know some heads are painted, but it would seem that a powder coat would be so thick and hard that the heat would get trapped. Is that a special coating or something that allows heat transfer or am I just an idiot?

Brass
04-25-2008, 08:37 AM
The Bandit's water cooled engine has coolant flowing through the head. Any heat trapped by the thicker coating would simply be carried to the rad and dealt with there.
Next time you're out riding, reach down and put your hand on the cylinder head. It'll be ~180 degrees, the same temp that opens the thermostat.

Rworm,

The bike looks great, it should have come from the factory with black bars and tree (imo).
Any chance of a profile pic so we can see the overall result?

rworm
04-25-2008, 09:12 AM
The Bandit's water cooled engine has coolant flowing through the head. Any heat trapped by the thicker coating would simply be carried to the rad and dealt with there.
Next time you're out riding, reach down and put your hand on the cylinder head. It'll be ~180 degrees, the same temp that opens the thermostat.

Rworm,

The bike looks great, it should have come from the factory with black bars and tree (imo).
Any chance of a profile pic so we can see the overall result?
Thanks Brass,
Heres a couple more pics/I have 1 of my bar ends made and just about finished with the 2nd
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh44/robertworm/bandit122.jpg
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh44/robertworm/bandit123.jpg
rworm

rworm
04-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks John. I need a 220 plug in my garage first. I have the basic Eastwood setup.

Ya need any help adding your 220 plug i would be more than happy to give ya step by step with pics

bones
04-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Oh I got it, just no ambition to mess with it. Friend that is an electronics enginerd is going to stop by to add in more garage plugs and the 220. More or less an excuse to drink beer

rworm
04-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Oh I got it, just no ambition to mess with it. Friend that is an electronics enginerd is going to stop by to add in more garage plugs and the 220. More or less an excuse to drink beer
I like excuses to:trust:
rworm

bones
04-25-2008, 11:22 AM
I have a whole list for tonight already

-load up old garage door for dump run
-drink beer
-tear down basketball hoop
-assemble deck chairs
-more beer
-fix new garage door opener
-garage organization
-way more beer

:zen:

Jack Giesecke
04-25-2008, 11:41 AM
An' I thought this thread was about them thar black bars that climb up in them thar trees to git to da honey.......

Wastrel
04-25-2008, 02:33 PM
I was actually reffering to some of the old harley heads John had powder coated on his web site. Those are most deffinately not water cooled heads.

Precisioncoat1
04-25-2008, 05:44 PM

No problem, do you have any idea what type of oven you are going to use?

John

Precisioncoat1
04-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Quick question John. Doesn't coating the heads decrease heat transfer and lead to overheating? I know some heads are painted, but it would seem that a powder coat would be so thick and hard that the heat would get trapped. Is that a special coating or something that allows heat transfer or am I just an idiot?

The powder is only .008 thick so it does not hold enough heat to make any difference in the way the enine would run. I have done hundreds of Harley heads and cylinders that are still as nice as the day they were done after 7 years and water cooled heads and cylinders would run cooler than the air cooled ones.

When people have their engines Chrome plated then there is a good chance for over heating and engine failure, but the powder can go on any metal part of the bike. Harley has been doing their engines for over 10 years with wrinkle black powder as well as their cases, frames etc. Many metric bikes are now powder coated as well.

Any other questions please let em know I will be happy to answer them.

Thanks,

John

Wastrel
04-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks, I didn't know if it was some "special" coating or if it was just a normal powder coat. I really like the look of the black crinkle with satin silver highlights. Yet another project to add to the list for the DR.

rworm
04-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Nobody ever asked about vibration from taking rubber mounted weights off of end of bars/Well i worked on mine today as every other bike,wheeler what ever wanna make it vibrate less???
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh44/robertworm/bandit125.jpg
Fill it with a ''self leveling adhesive''till it runs out the other end, pics are terrible and this is w/o BEER:rofl:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh44/robertworm/bandit127.jpg
this is the sealer i use in my gutter business,works great,fills all voids
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh44/robertworm/bandit126.jpg
last pic is to show i ended up using spacer on inside with factory hardware,screw and backside of 1st grommet are visible and looks nice and makes bars way narrower:rider:
rworm

rworm
04-25-2008, 08:47 PM
And remember ''po foke got po wa''
rworm

mrpesas
05-08-2008, 09:59 PM
does the sealer completely fill the bars? Or does it sink to the middle?

How much does it reduce the vibes? I have a GS500 that makes my hands go numb and it doesn't help that one of the bar ends vibrated off.

Dink.1170
05-09-2008, 04:29 AM
I have removed the bar-ends on my "Bonnie" as it doesnt vibrate at all, then again I am hopping off a GS1150, so maybe it just feels heaps smoother.

Dink

rworm
05-09-2008, 05:51 AM
does the sealer completely fill the bars? Or does it sink to the middle?

How much does it reduce the vibes? I have a GS500 that makes my hands go numb and it doesn't help that one of the bar ends vibrated off.
Completely fills the bars/less vibes than stock
rworm

Roy
05-09-2008, 05:54 AM
My 1250 vibrates at 3500 rpm's and it is driving me nuts.:doh: I might try filling the handlebar. I have already tried bigger bar end weights off a V-Strom 1000 with littel success. Seems I notice it more now while commuting on the bike since I'm in that rpm range more.

rworm
05-09-2008, 06:17 AM
My 1250 vibrates at 3500 rpm's and it is driving me nuts.:doh: I might try filling the handlebar. I have already tried bigger bar end weights off a V-Strom 1000 with littel success. Seems I notice it more now while commuting on the bike since I'm in that rpm range more.
3500 is where my bike vibrated too/rode a little with bar ends off and it was terrible/fillin bars worked great
rworm

Roy
05-09-2008, 07:49 AM
3500 is where my bike vibrated too/rode a little with bar ends off and it was terrible/fillin bars worked great
rworm

Good to know, guess they all do it there. I have been thinking something was out of whack with mine may still be since I have not way to check the throttle body sync without the SDS (Suzuki Diagnostics Software) software to re-adjust idle during procedure.