• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I hear Arkansas calling.

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
H
I have some time off coming up at the end of May and have been spending some time searching through past Arkansas threads. Thanks to all of you who post great ride reports, it has been a big help.
Thinking I may head up to the Talimena Scenic Drive to start my ride and then see how it goes from there. Planning on working the area that starts at the scenic drive to a point over to Hot Springs and at least as far north as I-40 and all points within that area back to the western state line. I am making notes as I read the reports on what not to miss as well as road numbers. I will be camping along the way.

I have plenty of trip info but do any of you have not-to-miss tips?
Any favorite camping areas that are good or good to avoid? I do see lots of state park, forest and lake campgrounds and thought I would hit one of those each day. They are not far apart so I can wander and not worry about ending up hunting for a spot late in the day.

Thanks for your thoughts.....

Thought number one..... stay far away from Hot Springs unless you're forced to go there - unbelievable traffic at all hours.

Thought number two.... get north of I-40 as quickly as you can.

Thought number one..... stay far away from Hot Springs unless you're forced to go there - unbelievable traffic at all hours.

Thought number two.... get north of I-40 as quickly as you can.

I agree with both of the statements above. I came back through hot springs my last trip up because I was riding Hwy 7/27 on the way home and it added a good 45 minutes or more to my trip because of traffic. The small downtown area was cool where all the hotels are on the cliff sides, the rest really sucked though.

South of I-40 their are very few roads worth riding.

Arkansas is my favorite. I plan one trip there every year. The state has a handout that recommends scenic rides and it is good. I agree, best riding is above I-40. However, I do have a suggestion. From Mena, go to Mt. Ida. Pick up 27 toward Russelville. Pick up 7 at Ola, and take 7 all the way to Harrison. My all time favorite road. From there you can go east or west and get some great rides. There is a tourist info center in Harrison, where you can get the free state map, and the MC recommended roads.

Wish I was going with you but I am holding off on my trip till Sept.

LZ Have a nice day.

The daughter's in-laws live in Hot Spring's Village so I know all to well that even though it is a nice town, it is not traffic friendly!

I did put in a request for my Arkansas Vacation kit....thanks!

There are plenty of good roads south of I-40 and some good ones
south of I-30 as well just have to know where to look. I lived about
25 minutes for Hot Springs for 15 years if you know the shortcuts
traffic is no issue at all its all the lost or confused tourists that clog up the main lanes especially during horse racing season

going up next friday to spend a week riding up there myself, always make
a few trips up there a year

Back