PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha FZ6 upgrading to Bandit 1250?

CanadianFZ6
04-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Hello everyone... this would be my first post here. I am now seriously considering a Bandit 1250sea. Here in Canada we have the model that comes with full fairing and hard luggage. Sweet....!!! I currently own an '07 FZ6. Great bike, but looking for a bigger bike for sport touring. What I love about the FZ6 is the 42,000 km valve adjustment interval. I can do all the other maintanence myself. So very cheap to own and operate. I can't tell you why, but I don't like stealerships doing engine work. I just don't trust they can do a proper job. So someone correct me if I am wrong, but the Bandit's valve adjustment interval is just 16,000 km, right? So my question is, how can Yamaha have such a long valve adjustment interval and Suzuki not. I know guys that had a valve check on the FZ6's and even after 42,000km, no adjustment was needed. Would this be true for the Bandit? I guess, what I am getting at is, does the Bandit really need a valve check every 16,000km? Or can one push it... say, maybe to 32,000km? I want to avoid as much dealership involvement as possible in owning the Bandit. I hope I have made sense here...

Thanks for reading
Richard

suzukijo
04-26-2008, 09:27 AM
i plan on doing my own valve adj in a couple thousand miles, and i will post on if it is really necessary. i'm over 13k miles now. maintenance schedule says to inspect at 14,500 mi. they are often still within spec at that short mileage.

etcthorne
04-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Darn Canadians and your metric system :eek2: :rofl:

23335.4 KM for valves on the 1250 Bandit = 14,500 miles

I'm shocked that it's that long! I've had many bikes over the years and I'm used to 600, 4000, etc.... Jeez, every time you turn around you're getting a valve adjust. And NO, you're not the only one who doesn't trust the dealer to actually do them when you're paying for them.

I'm just not adventurous enough to do them myself.

Haven't ridden your type of bike, but I can tell you for certain the Bandit engine is bullet-proof, based on what I've read. I absolutely love it! Smooth, quiet, freaking fast.:rider:

etcthorne
04-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Joe is just too quick for me. The guy has cat-like reflexes and lightning response times! :giveup:

CanadianFZ6
04-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks everyone... I will be buying the Bandit later in the year when demand drops and the dealers might be more willing to be haggled...

Richard:-D

GregH
04-26-2008, 10:06 AM
...the Bandit engine is bullet-proof, based on what I've read. I absolutely love it! Smooth, quiet, freaking fast.
...And freaking fun! :pirate:

Ride one and you'll understand why we're so crazy about the Bandit.
Buy one and you'll be just like us...:borg: