PDA

View Full Version : +1 For "Swiss Cheesing" the Seat

etcthorne
05-04-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm all about cheap fixes, especially since I'm probably going to end up with an ST1300 in a couple of years. Like most people, the stock seat was KILLING me. I can't remember who posted it - Joe, CWO4 Gunner, PhilS, (sorry if I left the OP name out here).

I took the stocker off and removed the cover today. I drilled about thirty 1/2" holes in the foam. Put the cover back on and went for about a 40 mile ride. My butt didn't complain as much as it used to. I think this might work.

I'm getting ready to make some longer trips with the Bandit - I ordered a set of padded underwear from Motosport too. We'll see how this works out and I'll report back.

Jbay
05-04-2008, 12:48 PM
I ordered a set of padded underwear

:huh2: :scratch: :chug:

you are a brave soul for posting that

etcthorne
05-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Brave? I think it "Depends" on your point of view! :eek2: :rofl:

I should have posted it as: ".....the armored and padded shorts for corner carving, you know, grinding off that chicken strip"

There, better?

Z_Hawk
05-04-2008, 02:44 PM
I got me a pair of those armoured undies.

It must help my comfort levels because I haven't had a big issue with the seat. Mind, I haven't gone more than 80 miles in a stretch. At that point, my butt was squirming a bit.

Brass
05-05-2008, 08:47 AM
I took the stocker off and removed the cover today. I drilled about thirty 1/2" holes in the foam. Put the cover back on and went for about a 40 mile ride. My butt didn't complain as much as it used to. I think this might work.

Did you drill the holes vertically or horizontal or both and to what depth?
I think we can all appreciate a cheap fix for something that is such a ****.

Any pics of the operation?

Red Brown
05-05-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm getting ready to make some longer trips with the Bandit - I ordered a set of padded underwear from Motosport too. We'll see how this works out and I'll report back.

Depends (http://www.depend.com/products/individual/easyfit.asp) works really great on long-trips for us older riders :)

http://www.depend.com/images-new/beltedVelcro_280x280.jpg

You can order a special pair with the TWT logo affixed to it :)

RB

etcthorne
05-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Brass, vertically.....although you have something there with going horizontally! I might just take the seat apart again and drill some horizontal holes.

****, even if I destroy the seat, I was thinking of replacing it anyway.

That's what I love about you Canadians (besides your metric system). You think out of the box! :clap:

Brass
05-05-2008, 10:59 AM
I might just take the seat apart again and drill some horizontal holes.

We believe nothing without pics!

sproggy
05-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Beats me why everyone complains about the seat :scratch:

I've done a few 8 or 9 hour days in the saddle with no particular discomfort. That's with a break every couple of hours for fuel but we all need those. I've had bikes that really did need the seat changing but the Bandit isn't one of them.

You guys need to toughen up :lol2:

Or maybe changing the bars for lower ones helped without me realising........? That's the only change I've made to the riding position (plus putting the seat in the high position).