• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cycle Parks

Reaction score
My wife and I want to join a cycle park but not sure which one to join. We will be heading out to Cherokee this weekend to check it out. I rode SHNF in the 70's and 80's but stopped when they cut alot of the trails. I want to start riding again and my wife never has ridden off road. So we are looking for friendly trails and maybe a little more than that for me. I have read alot about Cherokee and Outlaw Trax on this and other forums. We have even considered Skull Creek but no nothing about it. So any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Outlaw is the closest and everyone loves it.

Cycleland is not to far but has a waiting list.

Good luck!!!!

For her starting out, stay away from Skull Creek as it can be hard to ride for a beginner.

Outlaw Trax is great for all skill levels, plenty of room for a beginner to ride plus great trails for rider up to the Pro level. Great people at Outlaw makes it one of the best in the area. PM Woodsguy for info on joining Outlaw Trax thru the Montgomery Sports Riders Association (MSRA) for a discounted rate. MSRA will be holding their May Club meeting Monday night, May 12th at Pappas BBQ in The Woodlands at 7:00 PM. Would be a good time to meet the some of the members and find out a little more about the club.

Cherokee is also a great place to ride and for a beginner to learn. Open to the public on weekends and members only on week days. The trails are a lot like Outlaw Trax but usually has more riders out riding so it can get a little crowded but it's not such that it would interfere with a new rider.

The trails at Sam are nice but I don't like trying to teach a new rider to ride there. Nothing wrong with a beginner learning there it has just been easier for me to teach new riders to ride elsewhere since they do not have an open field for the rider to practice in before hitting the trails. Outlaw and Cherokee have the open areas and would be much better locations to help a new rider whether they are new to bikes or just off-road riding.

Let me explain my comment on Skull Creek. Skull Creek is sandy, very sandy, very deep sand.

I find that SHNF has easier trails to ride than Chrokee. The trails are wider, not as tight and less elevation changes. But there can be lot and lots of sand. Not all beginners care for sand. Plus there are 70 miles of trails at SHNF these days and I rarely run into other people on the trail since we're all more spread out. I like Cherokee though. Further away and more gas money but a fun place. Never tried outlaw but the membership fee is discouraging in my eyes.

My wife and I drove to Milano to check out Cherokee Cycle Park. Since we have a daughter and son-in-law within and hour or two, the decision was made easier. We joined and now in the process of clearing out all the road bikes. Thanks for all your help.

Both my son and daughter learned to ride out at Cherokee. Having the fields and the road gave them some easy options before they started tackling the trails. Have fun out there.

Back