• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

6,238.63 motorcycles on the road today

Mark G

Reaction score
By actual count. The .63 was a Vespa.

Lovely day in central Texas. SWMBO and I did a little jaunt from Austin-Drippin'-Blanco-Sisterdale-Kendalia-Wimberley-Austin. I can't remember seeing so many bikes on those roads in one day. The only stretch that was quiet was from Blanco to the Sisterdale cutoff...I can't remember any of the road numbers.

We encountered a bajillion cruiser dudes and dudettes, almost all of whom gave the odd arm-down-two-finger-salute, most of whom were wearing those magic invisible helmets.

There were also zillions of sportbikers out, and dressers galore, and guys riding along with their noses in the air, presumably sniffing for other BMW riders.

The best experience was at the Kendalia store, where we stopped for a cold refreshing beverage [note to self: never, ever, EVVVERR buy another bottle of "Arctic Shatter" flavored PowerAde]. Sittin' on the porch, we were treated to a group of portly people of a certain age (that would be my age) rumbling up on their various cruisers, all wearing vests that looked sorta like they belonged to the Hellhounds of **** Motorcycle Club, but were actually anti-drug, anti-drink folks from Boerne stopping by to leave some rally flyers at the store.

While we chatted with them, marveling at the picture of the 8 foot, 89 pound rattlesnake, about ten or so Goldwings whispered by, all clearly just come from the detail shop, again a buncha "certain agers".

Not one minute later, in the opposite direction came a parade of six or eight sportbike dudes and perhaps dudettes, hard to tell due to their full face helmets and sensible riding gear. Snarlng motors in second or third gear, dunno why they were in such low gears unless they just thought it sounded cool. Which it did. The contrasts were wonderful.

There were gillions of others on the road today, and from my vantage point, not one of them was having a bad day. Well, maybe the grim looking guy on the chopper. Looked like he was having sort of a hard time keeping the bike upright and going straight. But hey, maybe his face was just in repose. I know I'da been grim trying to keep that ten foot long wheelbase moving upright.

We were on the Wing today, but I was pretending it was the VFR, so we fit into not one but two "types".

SWMBO? She Who Must Be Obeyed. You prolly have one. Or will have one. Or had one. Or are one. Or will be one.

I love the picture of the parking lot of the Hico Pie Run. If there is a type of bike not represented, I don't know about it. I haven't found a group of bikers yet that I dislike completely. May not care to hang out with them, but I usually enjoy a good conversation. I can't say that about any other subset of people I know.

We saw all kinds of riders today, also, just riding around Arlington and HEB. Lots of singles, some twos and threes. Lots of waves and nods (met a lot of 'em at stop signs).

Wish every weekend was like this.

Vato Viejo said:
.......... Sittin' on the porch, we were treated to a group of portly people of a certain age (that would be my age) rumbling up on their various cruisers, all wearing vests that looked sorta like they belonged to the Hellhounds of **** Motorcycle Club, but were actually anti-drug, anti-drink folks from Boerne stopping by to leave some rally flyers at the store.
..... But hey, maybe his face was just in repose. I know I'da been grim trying to keep that ten foot long wheelbase moving upright.

Yep, those cats are pretty deceptive in appearance...they usually arrive at their current mindset after years of vigorous poly substance trials !
To paraphrase some Sam Kennison," Bikers against drugs...What's next, Christians against Christ ?"
I'll bet that breeze yesterday had chopper mans pucker factor up. I will never understand big inch hi horse engines with goofy geometry and rigid frames. I suppose if I have to ask...
Spent yesterday on the river doing some canoe racing training - where the warmth was equally welcome. Will get a couple hundred miles today - I think I will not press my luck doing the ton through the Rockspring sweepers - got two tickets in the past three weeks...in the [dang] Subaru!
What's the current hot setup in radar detectors ( bike to car swappable ).

Vato Viejo said:
...The .63 was a Vespa.

laf.gif.gif

Back