• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Double your Fun

Herb2E

Reaction score
Dale has a new item for the Bandit 1250 (new to me anyway) - its a doublebubble windscreen. Looks great. At 6'2 I could use a bit more wind protection as well as being able to crouch and get into the calm air when necessary. :eek2:

i have one, and needed to trim the tabs at fitment for proper mounting.
sitting in the sun, the screen acted like a magnifying glass, and melted by dash and instrument cover. mega thread, or screen install, has pics.

i put my necksock over the plastic now if i leave it parked in the sun.

i liked the look then, and now. the pocket of still air is about right for me.

I've run the Skidmarx double bubble for a couple of thousand miles. It's OK - surprisingly quiet but the protection zone is narrow. As Suzukijo pointed out it doesn't fit well without tweaking and personally I don't like the way it looks. I'm waiting for delivery of the Suzuki touring screen (which for some bizarre reason isn't available from dealers in the UK - I ordered it from the US) and I hope it'll arrive before a trip to Holland that I'm doing the end of next week which'll be a good test for it.

Once I've tried it I'll report back on how it compares with the Skidmarx one (which is what Holeshot sell).

I'm 5'10" and the Holeshot/Skidmarx Double Bubble works great for me. My install was clean, too. Click here to read all about it!:mrgreen:

I'm 5'10" and the Holeshot/Skidmarx Double Bubble works great for me. My install was clean, too. Click here to read all about it!:mrgreen:

i have read previous, from gregh, that his install was without problems. mine needed tab trimming to fit properly, and letting the bike sit in the sun, the magnifying shape of the double bubble, was so strong it melted the plastic.

it melted the dash and instrument panel

img4004bc3.jpg

there must be some differences in production, as mine simply did not fit, as it should have without interference at tab mountings.
(of course i could have bolted in up) it simply was made poorly.

besides the inner mounting tabs not fitting correctly, the outer ones needed similar trimming, heres one showing finished trim work, there is no touch on either side after trimming. (gregh, how about a macro closeup of your side tab fitement?)

img4005ve1.jpg

the tabs, at various locations, were not shaped like the original suzuki screen, and bending the plastic and forcing it into position, was an issue i knew i could make better. post 12 on this page http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23443

recently, my holeshot skidmarx, has started crazing, on one side.
(looks like a bunch of tiny scratches or brakes)
the bumpy look at the bend of the double bubble was as it arrived when new, you can see how its starting to craze, here.

img4001ak3.jpg

overall, i like the screen. i run my bike frequently up to speed (highest indicated so far is 148mph), and the screen makes a pocket big enough for me to fit behind.
i would not think that it should be pushing air completely around me at slow speeds.
crouching up behind the screen at speed (bandit speedo is off about 5mph at 60mph), it seems about the right size, and you can still see thru it. cruising at average normal speeds the screen is not effected by cross-winds, and its certainly not pushing air above my helmet, for it to do that at slow speeds, i cannot imagine what it would feel like at speed.

...besides the inner mounting tabs not fitting correctly, the outer ones needed similar trimming, heres one showing finished trim work, there is no touch on either side after trimming. (gregh, how about a macro closeup of your side tab fitement?)...

The camera is out of town right now. I did a visual check on mine and the cuts fit fine and tight. When the camera gets back I'll shoot a macro for comparison.

I have the windshield that Suzuki sells, part number 990A0-30000. It is tinted and is shaped kind of like the "double bubble"... well maybe more of a bubble-and-a-half! It gives better wind protection than the stock shield, the wind hitting just above my neck when sitting up on the bike. It fit perfectly and appears to be well made, but since I have only had it for a couple of weeks I can't say how well it will hold up. I think it was well worth the $70 I paid for it.

Here are a few pics:

DSC01310.jpg

DSC01309.jpg

DSC01308.jpg

DSC01307.jpg

CBR

Can you tell me how much taller than stock the suzuki replacement is? I like the look and quality of that one but was curious as it did not seem as "tall" as some of the other after market ones. There's a guy selling ones on ebay that claim to be 4" taller and they have a nice look to them. I'm not really into the bubble look that some have. Thanks.

It depends on how you define 'taller' - the Suzuki isn't a tall screen in the normal sense (i.e. a vertical screen with 'x' inches extra height) but it does offer considerably more protection than the stock one. The centre of the 'bubble' is probably raised 2-3 inches higher than the centre of the stock screen but really I think the question you've asked doesn't apply to the Suzuki screen.

Yeah, that's what I was looking for. Thanks for the info. Just for better comparison, can you possible stick a tape measure on the front of the bike from the top of the headlight at the center to the top center of the windscreen? This will give me an idea when I sit on my bike. Thanks much.

Back