• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SHNF trail direction

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Fry
I've read that the trails are directional now, anyone know what the general diection of travel currently is for the east and west side trails? Any maps showing travel directions for the inner trails (especially the east side)? When I used to ride there they weren't directional, so I'd like to know before I plan our loops for Memorial Day...

Never heard that one, where did you read or hear that?

I've seen reference to the "red arrows" elsewhere, but I would imagine those sources were all refering to these quotes taken from the forest website:

Sam Houston National Forest

Description: 85 miles of trail open to motorized vehicles less than 45” in width, as well as, equestrians, mountain bike users, and hikers. The remainder of the Sam Houston is closed to off-road use. The looped trail is marked with red arrows and returns to the starting point. Maps are available at the office in New Waverly. Online. East Side Multi Use Map - West Side Multi Use Map

Multi-use Trails – Driving off-road vehicles (dirt bikes & small 4-wheelers) and horseback riding are two of the many popular recreational uses of the Sam Houston National Forest. Special trails have been designated and developed for these multiple uses include ORVs, equestrian & mountain bikes.

These trails are loop trails that return to the starting point. Trailheads have been located to give users a logical starting point and a parking area for vehicles. Camping is prohibited on the trail and in parking areas.

ORV use is restricted to the designated multi-use trails. Trail direction is marked with red arrows. Pipelines, powerlines, and other utility rights-of-way are closed to ORV use; however, crossing of these rights-of-way is permitted at designated locations.

There is one loop with red arrows that is directional on the east side and one on the west side. The rest is bidirectional. There is some confusion with left over arrows from past races. I can't remember if the maps were marked for direction but nobody seems to pay atention to the arrows anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.

There is one loop with red arrows that is directional on the east side and one on the west side. The rest is bidirectional. There is some confusion with left over arrows from past races. I can't remember if the maps were marked for direction but nobody seems to pay atention to the arrows anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.
Works for me. Do you know which loops are "directional"?

You going to make it out on Memorial Day Bob?

When I have been riding there I have met oncoming traffic . I really havent payed attention to the arrows to see if the trails are marked in both directions . I do know that some of the trails have to be ridden both directions to be able to get from point A to point B . Its kinda like road riding some people are going to ride the wrong direction regardless of what is posted and trees do jump out in front of you . SEYA

I'm not sure about SHNF for Memorial weekend. There's talk of a ride at Barnwell Mountain, which I haven't been to in 10 years, and not even on a bike. So my choice is Barnwell if I'm able to get away. If I can't get away for the weekend, then I'll get a day in at SHNF. If nothing works out at all, I'll put the DS kit on and bring the bike to Austin another time.

The trails are not directional! The FS in California thought it created a liability to have directional trails. Riders could hit head-on & sue the FS. So, we must do what they do in the gay state. The equestrians got a grant to mark them the other direction.

Ride with your light on.

Back