• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mystery trail at SHNF - new?

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Fry
See the attached trail map at TON:

http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum_p...=199009&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

When I used to ride there years ago, there were some awesome single track (read: no quads) trails N-NW of the parking area shown, but they eventually closed them. Looks like this trail uses parts of the old trails, anyone know much about it? There were some great creek crossings out there... If you've ridden these "new" trails, tell me what you can about them...

Casey

Those trails have been open for a couple or three years now. I haven't ridden them so I can't answer anything about what the trails are like.

Really all creek cr are bridged now.Most of the trails are pretty much new over the last few years to account for trail damage.Beleive both sides have even newer areas added.

Really all creek cr are bridged now.Most of the trails are pretty much new over the last few years to account for trail damage.Beleive both sides have even newer areas added.

Hmmm, wonder if these newer areas have been mapped? Everything shown on the official maps on the forest website were there 10-15 years ago. Rode the east side about a year and a 1/2 ago and little had changed since I was last out in '00. There was one brand new one on the west side that had just been cut back in '98/'99. The trails on the NW side closed in the mid-late '90's, but I'll admit, being the young rebel I was, I continued to enjoy them thoroughly ;-) (until I moved to AZ)

If there are new(er) trails, I wouldn't mind checking them out.

Thats the loop that takes you to the new NW trailhead,1791 & 208. That is one of the best loops out there for true singletrack, very little quad activity and lots of switchbacks. Is also crosses the various forest roads the most which the DP guys may like. All creek crossings are bridged, here is another map that shows the bridges and NW trailhead
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/maps/sam_mut_w_nw_2007.pdf

I'll probably be out there on Sunday to check it out. I never look at the map, so it doesn't look familiar on paper. I just point my front wheel. I'll know it by sight. I haven't seen the new bridges yet.

That is one of the best loops out there for true singletrack, very little quad activity and lots of switchbacks.
Awesome, that's what I like to hear :trust: Memorial Day is shaping up nicely....

Thanks for the map :thumb:

Back