• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1250 test ride...

Reaction score
I've checked with 5 of my "friendly" local Suzuki dealers and have been told 5 times that Suzuki will not allow test rides of the big Bandit. "Too much power" is the usual excuse, along with insurance concerns, etc, etc...
Jeez! I won't buy a bike I can't check out! Before I bought my Wee-Strom, the dealer tossed me the keys to one and said "See ya later."
I know the Bandit is a great bike, but...

Hmmmmm. HD dealers that sell Buells have demo rides with freebie gifts from time-to-time. Some of those Buells are death machines, yet they allow old farts (can I say that here?) to test ride them. Sounds like too many lawyers in the Suzuki company.

At least you have dealers with some bikes to at least look at... I had to order in one sight and ride unseen. And then was fortunate in that the rep pulled one from a shipment being sent to another dealer (who hadn't paid his flooring bill).
It was mag reviews and forums like this one that got me to pull the trigger on it.
Love that thick motor- no regrets at all!! :rider:

Bummer.

I test drove mine - at my wifes insistence. I was just thinking about a new motorcycle at the time, maybe, maybe not, maybe a cruiser...

Well one test drive, about five minutes, and I bought it on the spot (without even asking permission from the wife :doh:). The two days of rude comments and nasty sideways glances from her was totally worth it though. ;-)

It surprises me that they won't let you drive one, it the best way to sell 'em :rider:

Ahhh... Would that I had a woman like that...
I may just keep the Strom for awhile-at least until the Wyoming ride this July...

Eurosport Cycle here in Fort Worth has a Ducati 1098 for demo purposes.....pretty sure the Bandit is a tamer machine. So I basically find the arguments they presented to you to be lame. Then again, I've found that the dealers of US and Euro manufactured scoots tend to be far more willing to allow prospective customers to sample their wares than the jap houses.

In the Dealer's defense, I took a new BMW LT for a test ride a few years ago. A 20K dollar bike. On the way back from my ride, I saw a guy standing by another LT sitting along a street, at an intersection just down the road from the Dealer. I figured it musta' broke down????

Anyhow, got back, and the salesman was leaving with a helmet.....said he had to go ride that other BMW back, cuz' the guy had dropped it at the red light at that intersection, and was too shook up to get back on it.

In the meantime, I struck up a conversation with his wife, who was patiently waiting in the showroom. She said he had JUST passed his operator safety course, taken with the usual little 250cc bike.

I went in on a Kawi Voyager, so it was obvious I was used to a big bike.....but what the **** were they thinking, letting a newbie ride a full dress BMW? The dealership is owned by Rod Woodson, the NFL player, so I guess they think his pockets are deep enough to take chances.

The one they let him take, was used, but still looked brand new.....till he got done with it!:mrgreen:

I test rode a Harley this weekend. They were having 'demo day', and had a bunch of different bikes including a VRod and Road King. I only had time for one ride, but had I had more time I could have ridden them all (except for that vibration induced kidney failure thing).

"Vibration-induced kidney failure thing...." I know what you mean!!!!

First off, I think Harley's are wonderful motorcycles, and I'm sure they're very reliable nowadays. I'd actually consider buying one if they were not so expensive! I guess the payback is the way they hold their resale value.

I test rode an Ultra Glide with the 96" engine a couple of months ago. It had very impressive acceleration while underway, but stopping at a stoplight was a mirror-distorting, painful experience. The vibration at idle was almost unbelievable!

I've checked with 5 of my "friendly" local Suzuki dealers and have been told 5 times that Suzuki will not allow test rides of the big Bandit. "Too much power" is the usual excuse, along with insurance concerns, etc, etc...
Jeez! I won't buy a bike I can't check out! Before I bought my Wee-Strom, the dealer tossed me the keys to one and said "See ya later."

Don't understand that "policy" at all. I hadn't ridden for 21 years and wanted a bike again at age 65. Suzuki dealer had no problem letting me go out on ANY bike (also Kawi/Yam brands) I was interested in. (In former years I was MSF instructor for 7yrs, but he didn't know that.) I just asked him since I hadn't ridden for so long if he had something smaller I could ride for about 1/2hr to "get back in the groove" before trying the M109r (700+lb monster) I had my eye on, so he gave me a used 400 enduro to practice. After driving the M109r tank, I then tested the Bandit 1250 which was like driving a CB125! Actually the Bandit is one of several bikes fairly easy for someone to test as the throttle is so predictable/smooth compared to the hair-trigger one on an M109r.

Anyway, if I can't drive it, I'm not buying it, and I don't mean just around the block. I want 30min with the thing... on back roads and highway.

Hi I looked at the bandit and loved it...just can barely reach the ground...tippy toes...ha. I do not feel comfortable like that...any ideas?
thought about lowering it...but afraid of potential risks in changing geometry. Also thought about shaving the seat? but thought it could be really uncomfortable?
also, Having not ridden a bike in 20 years...is this too big a bike for me?

JaredM - I'm on my tip-toes too, but the bike is so easy/balanced I don't see it as a problem. :zen:

I bought lowering links (1") but I am waiting to change the tires to put them on, Dale at holeshot installed them too (I think), as have many others without adversely effecting performance/geometry (it apparently makes it slightly more 'stable' straight line, but most have said it's not noticeable). The lowering links do however make the kickstand more upright, a consideration in parking, and make the center stand almost unusable.

There are seat modifications you can have done to lower it an inch too. Recently someone said the CRX650 (?) seat is interchangeable and an inch lower.

I will probably give the lowering links a try - but honestly I don't have a problem with the current height (much) - it'd be nice to see what flat footed felt like (it would be a new experience for me at 5' 5") :lol2:

it's a nice bike, but you need to be comfortable with what you get.

good luck :rider:

thanks...it is funny the honda 919 is the same height but I can reach on that bike....I just like the bandit because of the fairing and the low rpm torque. I do not want a loud bike that is for sure...I spoke (via email ha!) to the spencer mod guy and he said the seat can be shaved by an inch for about 75 dollars plus handling.

See (below) suspension section of Dale Walker's Holeshot.com website.
Dale's about as finicky/detailed as anyone on developing products which perform exactly as he states; his special project personal bike for over a year has been the Bandit 1250. He's reknowned pro drag racer (and track parttimer) and would not suggest any suspension change which might compromise handling and/or safety. I can personally vouch for his integrity and the products he fabricates in-house and/or researches and personally tests before offering them to public. With some nice thick heels on biker footwear, the Spencer seat mod and these lowering links, you should have no difficulty in making the 1250 fit you. Hope this helps.

"Dale's Adjustable Bandit 1250 struts are an easy bolt on. These will either raise the bike 1.25" or lower it 1.0"

Raising the back will quicken up the steering a bit for the canyon carver, plus adds ground clearance. Lowering the back makes it more flat footed for the shorter rider when coming to a stop, and also makes for much harder drag strip type launches if you like to play at the track.

The Holeshot 1250 struts can be installed in under one hour with normal hand tools, click here for installation tip photos.

They are precision laser cut from 1018 steel so strength is not an issue. The super tough finish is a beautiful laser black powder coat with a slight metallic silver added."

Eurosport Cycle here in Fort Worth has a Ducati 1098 for demo purposes.....pretty sure the Bandit is a tamer machine. So I basically find the arguments they presented to you to be lame. Then again, I've found that the dealers of US and Euro manufactured scoots tend to be far more willing to allow prospective customers to sample their wares than the jap houses.

"Tamer ma"..AHHhh nevermind.

My brother just bought one so I will get the opportunity to ride his soon. I'm looking forward to it and I hope I'm not too tempted. My 2000 model has served me very well but the ABS option on the new bike has got my interest going.

Yeah, I was passing by the local Suzuki dealer the other day and thought what the heck. Surely they'd take me seriously if I walk in wearing about $1200 worth of ATGATT and ask to test ride the new Bandit. They (the would be Bandit salesmen - or is it the other way around?) just gave me a funny look. I just gave them a funny wave bye. Conversely, when I dropped in at the BMW store in South Houston, the guy had a copy of my license and had me riding down the road on a brand new RT before I knew what happened. :rider:

I just joined the TWT forum the other day after finding that cool mega thread in my Internet search for 1250 info. Lots of great information here!

I had an opportunity to test ride an '07 1250SA a couple of weeks ago, and that was all I needed to make the decision to buy one.

Like a few other people on the list I'm not very tall or heavy, so the 1250 feels a bit high and massive until it's rolling along. But it's not any worse than the old CB750 that I rode almost 30 years ago...

Lowering the seat will help.

I tried the one piece GSX650F saddle at the shop where I'm buying my new bike, and it's a perfect fit on the 1250, it looks like it was made for the bike. It's about an inch lower than the stock seat, and it weighs 2.5 pounds less, too. What's not to like? ...Well, I haven't ridden it for 100 miles yet, so I can't comment about the comfort. But I'm riding the new bike home on Saturday with a GSX650F saddle, so I can give a report after that.

Ed.

I went back to the same dealer for state inspection this morning. No 1250 Bandits in stock but I did get a chance to test ride a new FJR. It is a beautiful machine but I guess I'm relieved to report that it did not change my life as I expected. The rider position and comfort level were not unlike my old Bandit (that's paid for). Of course the big difference was the instant power at the slightest blip of the throttle. Getting back on the old Bandit didn't suck as I feared it might either. I rode away in veritable contentment knowing I don't have to have a new bike yet. Anyway, the salesman told me that all the '08 1250's there are going to be are already on the ground. That's ok, I guess I can wait for the '09 model.:rider:

Dealers in the UK seem quite happy to offer test rides. I borrowed a 1250 for a couple of hours before going back and ordering one last year. During the week, BMW dealers will let you have a bike all day. I'd never buy anything I had never tried. BTW, I used to have an FJR and while the FJR is a far better serious touring machine, the Bandit has a similar throttle response and is much more fun to ride under a wide range of road types. It really is a great all-rounder.

What's up with the local dealers not having any '08 Bandits? They said later in August or so??

Find a used bike dealer that has one..Once it is used, Suzuki has no say so anymore.......Roll out...

Back