PDA

View Full Version : Hotel/Motel Bike Security While Traveling

etcthorne
05-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Guys, would like some thoughts on security for a motorcycle when stopping at a hotel.

I'm taking off Friday morning from Virginia Beach to run the Blue Ridge (Virginia portion), and probably stopping in Front Royal Virginia prior to heading back home. I have nightmares about securing my bike in a hotel parking lot. I have a big chain and such, but does anyone worry about this kind of stuff like I do? I'd actually try to sneak the bike inside a room if I'm on the ground floor :trust:

GTgirl
05-19-2008, 05:06 PM
If I can't get a ground floor and bring the bike into the room, I cover it with a bike cover. But I always remember. the bike can be replaced, a life can not so try to stay in a seaminly safe part of town.

Delores

Tourmeister
05-19-2008, 05:42 PM
I just ride an ugly bike... :shrug: :-P

DFW_Warrior
05-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Out of all the traveling I've done, and all the places I've stayed, I've never, not once had one single problem with my bike. I lock the handlebars, take the key out and be done with it.

And yes, this was also before I had my current "ugly" bike.

Squeaky
05-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Out of 9 hotels/motels I stayed in, only one really had me worried - so I rolled the bike in. It wasn't so much the location of the hotel, but rather the location of my room at the back, hidden from traffic, and with a stairwell to the second floor next to it that had a lot of questionable traffic visible in the hour or so between getting there and leaving the room for dinner.

I would have asked the manager if I could park it out front by the lobby, except he didn't seem to care about much at all when I checked in and that was too far a walk to my room.

At one other motel, the clerk actually told me I could put it up front by the window before I even had to ask (it was also dry there under the awning rather than getting rained on all night by the room).

suzukijo
05-19-2008, 07:44 PM
best thing to do would be to find a nearby lake, park your bike like this.
i doubt that anyone would take it during the nite.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9601/wravataraw6.jpg

gunzip
05-19-2008, 09:13 PM
I have rolled my bike into a hotel room a couple of times , but be aware this is against fire codes pretty much everywhere and could land you in hot water . In my home town you can not even park a bike in your own apartment !

I pretty much freak out if I can't park right next to my motel door , I am thinking of investing in one of those bike covers with an alarm built in . Seems like a neat idea ; outa sight outta mind and if someone gets curious you'll know about it

Trailduster
05-19-2008, 09:16 PM
I sometimes prefer a room in the back, out of sight - out of mind and i sleep with a brain alarm to take a peek every 30 min to 1 hr. I use to have a scream alarm set off by motion, it was cheap but worked well, they are made to clamp on a car steering wheel but you can set it up around your gauges, any motion will set it off, Got it at an auto supply, didnt cost much. sorry i dont remember who makes it as i misplaced it/ lost it. Walmart may have something similar.

budzrex
05-19-2008, 09:26 PM
I have never had any problems, been leaving bikes in motel
parking lots for years, if staying in motels I pick a good motel
with a well lit lot ask for a room where I can park by the room
and check on it once and a while.

I have had managers ask if I want to put it under the front awning in the past, and one who asked me once to put it in the lobby, I questioned
if he had problems in the past and he said no but looking at a cool
bike was better than what was on cable that night. I took him up on
it and he had cleaned off all the bugs by in the morning

Yea almost walked right past it was not used to seeing it clean:mrgreen:

msnyder755
05-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Ive only had one problem over the years. Somebody broke an antena off the Wing one night. I convinced the managment it was there fault since they have security patrol all night and they missed it. Knew it was a long shot but heck it worked. What I didn't tell them is I forgot to set the alarm after going to dinner.:doh: I usually pick nicer hotels and park where I can see it or if not make sure the desk staff can see it, usually cover and alarm (I won't forget again)

budzrex
05-19-2008, 10:14 PM
I have had damage to several cars over the years, three backed into
and one broken into, but never any issues wtih the bikes

Tracker
05-19-2008, 10:39 PM
I usually take a coil cable/lock and try to snag a pole or furniture--just to slow 'em down a little if nothing else. I also always try to park so that it can't be simply lifted, but would have to be moved/maneuvered before being tossed in a truck. I've also set empty beer cans on it in inconspicuous spots.

djohnso
05-19-2008, 11:02 PM
If I can not park the bike in front of my hotel room door, then I park it in front of the lobby (where you pull-up to check-in). Usually the lobby is manned 7x24 and the desk clerks usually don't mind as long as it's not in the way. I make this a condition of checking in. Sometimes the lobby thing is best because it's often a covered area and well lighted. I try to wait until just before I turn in to move the bike in front of the lobby area (less traffic late at night).

Tourmeister
05-19-2008, 11:17 PM
best thing to do would be to find a nearby lake, park your bike like this.
i doubt that anyone would take it during the nite.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9601/wravataraw6.jpg

:lol2:

whitesands
05-20-2008, 04:08 AM
put it in the hotel.

bones
05-20-2008, 08:32 AM
On a trip last summer to Ohio, Kentucky and back we stayed in small town Ohio and I had no issues or worries. Louisville, KY on the other hand was a shady area, hotel and some I think LIVED there. :clap: I asked Tim if he was worried about anything and he wasn't in the least and he has an 05 BMW K1200S and I had my beat to snot VFR.

Locked the bars, walked to dinner, had drinks, more drinks and as far as I know the bikes were fine. :lol2:

Just park by your door and be aware of the surroundings. Chances are you will be fine, not EVERYONE is a criminal. I might be on a solo weekend away this weekend and was thinking the same thing. I have a heavy duty lock, but will likely camp it to save $$ and hope to get to Mt Rushmore.

pkiser
05-20-2008, 08:55 AM
I just ride an ugly bike... :shrug: :-P

Hey, the KLR is not that bad! :rofl:

sharkey
05-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Spent a week in Austin TX recently and the hotel was just OK. I was on 2nd flr. and couldn't see the bike and I still didn't have a problem.

I'd specifically ask for a 1st flr. room, lock the bars, and not worry too much about it. If you have a disc lock or cable already, I'd use it as well.

Most thieves want a HD or a crotch rocket, so I'm reasonably safe. Who wants a big scooter? Their friends would laugh at them.

Roy
05-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Cover it up, out of sight out of mind.

I take the hard bags in the room, lock the bars, remove the Zumo GPS, radar detector and cover the bike.

I don't even worry after that its fully insured if they want it.

Brass
05-20-2008, 09:47 AM
I've installed an alarm on mine. Not so much for security as reduced insurance premiums (it saves me over $150/year). It has an ignition disable feature, which is what qualifies it for the insurance discount, so the bike won’t start until I hit the button. I sleep well at night. Bike thieves are looking for easier targets, I would think at least. Wouldn’t sportier bikes be more at risk anyway?

Larry_77084
05-20-2008, 10:01 AM
I can't count the number of motels I stay at, I'm a cheap *** so they usually are budget motels. I ask if I can park near the front door and failing that I park as close as possible and use a disc brake lock as well as the steering lock. I also strip everything off of the bike, tank bag, panniers etc. I've never had a problem.

Then again I ride Moto Guzzi's and a GS, not much eye candy to the general puplic there.

klrno2
05-20-2008, 10:14 AM
My husband and I use a small RF camera and monitor. The camera can run on batteries or be powered off the bike battery, and we set the monitor by the TV in the hotel room. That way, we always have eyes on our bikes and gear. Plus, these little Radio Shack cameras (everybody sells something similar for around $80) have audio, so after we've turned the TV off for some shuteye, we can hear any noises that go on around the bikes.

desertrider
05-20-2008, 10:51 AM
I just got back from a trip to MN and had to park in a parking structure away from where I stayed. No problems. Like some said just take any gear off and lock the bike. I am not saying I did not worry or take a few trips to see if she was OK.

wonder91178
05-20-2008, 10:56 AM
My husband and I use a small RF camera and monitor. The camera can run on batteries or be powered off the bike battery, and we set the monitor by the TV in the hotel room. That way, we always have eyes on our bikes and gear. Plus, these little Radio Shack cameras (everybody sells something similar for around $80) have audio, so after we've turned the TV off for some shuteye, we can hear any noises that go on around the bikes.
THAT is a pretty ingenius idea!

What kind do ya'll have?

gunzip
05-20-2008, 09:13 PM
__________________ I like too

terrebandit
05-20-2008, 10:17 PM
My uncle had one stolen outside his hotel room at bike week many years ago. That incident inspired me to take extra steps to ensure that it wouldn't ever happen to me. Those steps:

Cover your bike (out of sight, out of mind).

Lock the front forks (minimum). If possible, chain the frame of your bike to another bikes frame..

Park it in a lighted area and/or where you can see it from your hotel room window.

Tell the night time hotel attendant where you've parked your bike. I've found that some will actually keep an eye out for you. They are usually bored to death anyway.

I have a MC alarm but I rarely use it. The wind or a passing "hog" will sometimes set it off. This usually happens after you've stopped worrying about it and have fallen asleep.

labandit
05-21-2008, 05:26 PM
I have never had any problems, been leaving bikes in motel
parking lots for years, if staying in motels I pick a good motel
with a well lit lot ask for a room where I can park by the room
and check on it once and a while.

I have had managers ask if I want to put it under the front awning in the past, and one who asked me once to put it in the lobby, I questioned
if he had problems in the past and he said no but looking at a cool
bike was better than what was on cable that night. I took him up on
it and he had cleaned off all the bugs by in the morning

Yea almost walked right past it was not used to seeing it clean:mrgreen:

that's very cool, but i still might feel alittle wierd that he even TOUCHED my bike