• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

In memory of...

Reaction score
I just sold my Bandit today. I wasn't overly happy with the power, and replaced it with a ZX-14. It had only 3700 miles on it.

But as the new buyer drove away, I was a little sad to see it go. It was my first "brand-new motorcycle". The jitters I got when I rode it away from the dealership for the first time, were not there when I bought the ZX-14. The ZX was just my "second new bike".

Thanks for all your advice guys. If you see a blue ZX-14 broken down on the side of the road someday, please don't drive by and say "Too bad you didn't keep the Bandit" ok?

JM

ps - here is my new rocket:

http://www.bodydot.com/view/588/My-new-ZX14.html

Sweet ride...................we BANDIT RIDERS mourn your loss:rider:
Wally(07 RED BANDIT)

you know, i and probably others, would like for you to update this thread with your opinions, as you now have a envious position to compare both bikes.

its easy for someone to say what they own is the 'best bike'.

it is not easy to sense that the bandit was not for you, or maybe it was.
but it would be interesting to have some input about your new bike, i think it would be informative and fact based.

please post again with your impressions.

your previous posts seem honest and candid.

joe

you know, i and probably others, would like for you to update this thread with your opinions, as you now have a envious position to compare both bikes.

its easy for someone to say what they own is the 'best bike'.

it is not easy to sense that the bandit was not for you, or maybe it was.
but it would be interesting to have some input about your new bike, i think it would be informative and fact based.

please post again with your impressions.

your previous posts seem honest and candid.

joe
+1

Dude... you really should wear a full face helmet... look what the wind blast has done to your complexion... :-P

1bsDHq74RTQ130.jpg

I love that shade of blue :thumb:

Dude... you really should wear a full face helmet... look what the wind blast has done to your complexion... :-P
Haha I laughed out loud at reading that. That was really funny.

The Bandit is probably the best value-for-money in the Standard model. Standard meaning upright. It has all the modern features, hydraulic clutch, liquid cooling, high torque. There was nothing "wrong" with it. The dark red is also really nice and classy looking.

But, I thought I would like a standard model, since my last bike before this was an R1 - a VERY bent over bike. I wanted to get away from that. But what I didn't realize is that, in getting away from the bent over, I was also getting lots of wind in my face and chest.

The Bandit was also lacking in the horsepower range. This is what is the biggest difference with my new bike. The ZX-14 is more like a "professional" bike. Something to fear. Where the Bandit I had mastered it in only 2 months.

Now I know the ZX-14 does not compare to the Bandit - apples and oranges, but:

- On the Bandit, cranking the throttle to 100%, and I would accelerate at maximum ACCLERATION.

- On the ZX-14, cranking the throttle to 100%, would send me at maximum SPEED.

The difference, is that the ZX-14 has 0 lag time to accelerate, since it is so obsurdly overpowered. Where the Bandit has 100 HP, it takes time to go from 0-60. The ZX-14 has almost no time to switch between 40mph, and 80mph. Seriously, it is so overpowered, the "throttle control" is really a "speed control". Crank the throttle to 1/8th, and you are almost instantly at 40mph. Put the throttle at 1/4 and BAM you are at 80. Does that make sense? You really have to be careful on the ZX-14, since it never denies you anything you ask of it. There is no acceleration, just a "speed control" on your right hand. As fast as you can turn your wrist, the bike will accelerate to match the speed you request. Even at 80 or 100 on the highway, there is no lack of power.

Anyway, the Bandit was really nice, perfect in every way, it was just not the "show-stopper" I thought it would be. If I was rich, I would have kept it and used it as my "go to the beach" bike. Great for touring too. I just am not rich yet.

Yet...

Your reasons for wanting the ZX are the reasons I wanted the Bandit. I like the upright posture and the Bandit is more bike than I am rider. It is the perfect for me as a rider.

What is nice is that we can all share the road together. It's a two-wheeled brotherhood. :rider:

I like the ZX14...I've heard you need to keep an eye on the left side of the head for oil leaks...

I like the ZX14...I've heard you need to keep an eye on the left side of the head for oil leaks...

I will do that. I have two eyes so I have one to spare. :trust:

By the way, while owning the Bandit, I did notice that I liked owning multiple bikes at the same time (actually 3). That I had a choice, and that yes it was possible and legal to own 3 at the same time. I don't have a misses to nag at me and tell to what to do.

So, I thought that if I was going to have a second go at a "more powerful Bandit, that was still upright, that had tonnes of power and torque, that didn't have wind in my chest/face" - I was looking at a 2005 zzr1200 as a second bike. Much like my ZX-14, just not as sporty, and a little more upright.

It is highly possible that I will own two bikes once I sell my third bike (VFR 750), and the ZZR1200 I think will be it. If you don't already own a Bandit, or if you too are a little shy on the power side for your current Bandit, just have a look at the ZZR1200. 148HP

motomodelo12.jpg

You can't get them new, but 2005 is new enough for me as a second bike.

So, I thought that if I was going to have a second go at a "more powerful Bandit, that was still upright, that had tonnes of power and torque, that didn't have wind in my chest/face" - I was looking at a 2005 zzr1200 as a second bike. Much like my ZX-14, just not as sporty, and a little more upright.

It is highly possible that I will own two bikes once I sell my third bike (VFR 750), and the ZZR1200 I think will be it. If you don't already own a Bandit, or if you too are a little shy on the power side for your current Bandit, just have a look at the ZZR1200. 148HP

motomodelo12.jpg

I've ridden one that looks exactly like the one pictured above. It is deceptively FAST! Smoooothhhh!! I don't know if my license could survive that :wary:

How did you feel it compared to the bandit? Riding position? Wind?

I've not ridden a new Bandit (wink wink nod nod). However, the ZZR I rode belongs to Pkiser here on the forum. I think it has a Zero Gravity screen of some kind. Like I said, smoooothhh. Even when I looked down and realized I was doing go to jail speeds, it barely felt like I was going 55mph. He has commented that it is not real flickable because of the long wheelbase. His other bike is a Vstrom 650. I would imagine a Bandit would have lighter feeling steering because of the type of bars and the shorter wheelbase. The motor is great on the ZZR. Twist the grip and you go, kind of like you said about the ZX14.

I will do that. I have two eyes so I have one to spare. :trust:

By the way, while owning the Bandit, I did notice that I liked owning multiple bikes at the same time (actually 3). That I had a choice, and that yes it was possible and legal to own 3 at the same time. I don't have a misses to nag at me and tell to what to do.

motomodelo12.jpg

I don't know why that model wasn't more popular because it's a very nice looking bike...I really like the look!

I just sold my Bandit today. I wasn't overly happy with the power, and replaced it with a ZX-14. It had only 3700 miles on it.

But as the new buyer drove away, I was a little sad to see it go. It was my first "brand-new motorcycle". The jitters I got when I rode it away from the dealership for the first time, were not there when I bought the ZX-14. The ZX was just my "second new bike".

Thanks for all your advice guys. If you see a blue ZX-14 broken down on the side of the road someday, please don't drive by and say "Too bad you didn't keep the Bandit" ok?

JM

ps - here is my new rocket:

http://www.bodydot.com/view/588/My-new-ZX14.html

Do you have any left-over Bandit goodies ?

How about these ?

Attachments

• 2005-Kawasaki-NinjaZX-12Rb.jpg
    2005-Kawasaki-NinjaZX-12Rb.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 167
  • 030502bottom.jpg
    030502bottom.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 156
Ive already got two on the right calf thanks.

That's funny. :rofl:

Within a month or so of owning, I torched my right leg as well right on the calf on the stock pipe near the end seam. A year later, it's a burn mark scar on the leg that I am constantly showing my kids reminding them of my painful injury like it's the first time they've ever seen it.......they are quite sick of me bringing it up, but it's sure fun to annoy them.

Odd, I still remember the flesh burning smell...........strange.

I see that I'm not the only one to get burned.

I got a nasty burn on my right calf from my SV650 exhaust when I was foolish enough to ride that bike in shorts to my dealer for service. I thought, oh, it's only a couple of miles, I'll just ride it over there dressed like this. Right. Burnt the skin right off, and I had to bandage that wound for over a week.:eek2:

The 1250 Bandit has an exhaust with the same burn-hazard. I might get a shield for it some time. I know better than to get too close to that pipe in front of the muffler, but a passenger could get burned.

Ed.

Back