PDA

View Full Version : I really hate this Post

Roy
05-20-2008, 08:16 AM
But I dropped the Bandit in the garage yesterday after work. Friggin POC kickstand collapsed on me as I was getting off. Damage report, sore back from lifting the whale, broke clutch lever and a scratched left engine cover.:giveup: That's it for the bike now the other damage report, My Tacoma pickup is what I fell into denting the lower panel by the door. Lucky for me I still had all my gear on especially my helmet which smacked the truck good. The Roadcrafter jacket shoulder armor helped my shoulder/collar bone from possibly getting broke. It was like a slow motion movie as it was going down I was thinking this can't be happening, yep it was. Kickstand evidently rolled forward on me as I was dismounting. My garage floor is smooth so the engine cover damage is hardly noticeable its still smooth minus a little silver paint on the bottom. The rear footpeg bottom had a small mark but nothing worth loosing sleep over. I called the dealer right after it happened to get a clutch lever on order since I leave town this thursday on it. 3~5 days so I ask could I get a lever off a bike on the floor. He said sure no problem, helps that I bought a '08 Ninja 250R over the phone yesterday morning for my wife.:mrgreen: It is on order so we don't actually have it yet but we did pay for it already. He even brought the lever too me on his way home which is by my house. Total cost for lever with discount $52.86. So the Bandit is back operational in fact I am at work on it today. Handlebars seem a little out of wack not bent that I can tell, tweaked maybe from the lifting. I hate rubber mounted bars. The bar end barely touched the pavement in the fall and it only has a small nick on it. So I must have tweaked them lifting the thing. I will loosen it all up this evening and take a closer look.

I just do not drop motorcycles so this is very weird for me. It could have been worse I guess.

KenB
05-20-2008, 09:14 AM
That's a bummer, Roy. I know the feeling (once) and it's not a good one. Frustration with self dominates the in-mind replay. At least it wasn't worse in human or bike damages though!

sharkey
05-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Been there, done that. Sorry, it does suck.

Good thing the Taco broke your fall. :doh:

Brass
05-20-2008, 09:30 AM
That just sucks. But, I’m glad to hear it happened in your garage and not out on a road at 85mph.

It's strange that yesterday I was looking at the kickstand and thought it wouldn't take much for this thing to role forward and topple over. I was even considering putting the Dremel to it to add a notch like ‘busa owners do so that it could have that extra little bit of forward travel.
I think I’ll tackle that tonight.

Roy
05-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Been there, done that. Sorry, it does suck.

Good thing the Taco broke your fall. :doh:

Well that was good in a way and not so good in another. It wadded me up pretty good as I smacked the lower of the truck as I went down bending my head/neck forward in a awkward position lucky for me I am still quite flexible at 45 in the joints. I hate I dented my truck worse than what happened to the bike. I took a sink plunger this morning and pulled the largest portion of the dent out, you can still see evidence if you stand from the side and look down it, truck is white so not super shiney. The Toyota's dent way too easy IMO it had a ding where a kids dirtbike fell into it same spot in my garage.:doh: After closer inspection of the whole incedent I am really happy I had my helmet still on as the contact spot on my head would have been in the softer portion of the head lower left bottom, could have been pretty bad for a injury. My back is quite sore from the lift hope it gets better in the next day or so. Thank goodness for the huge stator sticking out or my ankle/leg might have been broken in the fall. I still am not putting case guards on it even after all this.

Honestly I think the new tires I just put on saturday caused most of it. The new Pilot Road 2's seem to sit the bike up more especially in the rear which tends to cant the bike more forward and onto the sidestand more. Although the sidestand on this bike is terrible very Hondaish in design. The Harley sidestand is the best it locks in place when down and weigh on it.

bones
05-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Unsure what it is about the bandit...err I mean owner, but I have caught mine from going down off the sidestand a few times now. Nothing close to dropping, but scary no less. It's one tank of a bike to try to catch at 175# soaking wet.

Off to the parking lot to put the bike on the center stand. :D

Roy
05-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Unsure what it is about the bandit...err I mean owner, but I have caught mine from going down off the sidestand a few times now. Nothing close to dropping, but scary no less. It's one tank of a bike to try to catch at 175# soaking wet.

Off to the parking lot to put the bike on the center stand. :D

At 160# with 15 degrees or more lean and it dropped like lead weight off the edge of a table. I tried to save it with no such luck. Its just a top heavy pig of a bike. Its the heaviest thing I have ever or will ever try to lift again. I dropepd a '99 Bandit in the driveway when my foot slipped off the centerstand while lifting it. I went over on the pipe side with it.:doh: I've had so few a drops I can count them on one hand in 30 years of riding. About 95% have happened in the garage or driveway.

sproggy
05-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Handlebars seem a little out of wack not bent that I can tell, tweaked maybe from the lifting. I hate rubber mounted bars. The bar end barely touched the pavement in the fall and it only has a small nick on it. So I must have tweaked them lifting the thing. I will loosen it all up this evening and take a closer look.

Sorry to hear about your drop. The stock bars are made of tin foil - they're incredibly weak. Maybe this is someone upstairs telling you it's time to get Renthals :rider:

They may just have turned slightly in the clamp on the 'down' side of your drop - try loosening the clamps a bit and see whether they come back to original shape. If not, just bend them back (it's worryingly easy....). Stiffer bars make a big difference to how the bike feels on the road.

Larry_77084
05-20-2008, 11:12 AM
I put the kickstand down on my GS in the driveway which has a slight downhill slope, the bike was in neutral facing down hill. I started to get off and the bike rolled forward, falling to the left. I was it no position to stop it. Thankfully my foot ended up under the touratech pannier so I didn't scratch it anymore than it already is, of course I felt like someone ran over my foot with a car but at least I saved the bag. However the front beak didn't fair so well and ended up with a couple a bad lateral scratches.

That's the 3rd bike that has fallen in my driveway, there must be some sort of a gravitational anomaly it couldn't be me, could it?

Roy
05-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Sorry to hear about your drop. The stock bars are made of tin foil - they're incredibly weak. Maybe this is someone upstairs telling you it's time to get Renthals :rider:

They may just have turned slightly in the clamp on the 'down' side of your drop - try loosening the clamps a bit and see whether they come back to original shape. If not, just bend them back (it's worryingly easy....). Stiffer bars make a big difference to how the bike feels on the road.

I had aluminum Renthals on my V-Strom 1000:mrgreen: and I have Ricky Carmichael bend Renthal fatbars on my RMZ450 which I have bent before and had to replace already.

I do not see how the fall bent the bars on the Bandit they did not touch since the bars were turned to the left as I was dismounting. I think I may have possibly bent them if they are indeed bent picking the whale up:rolleyes: I am going to loosen it all up this afternoon and take some measurements. I actually like the bend on the stock bars.:rider: Stock bars ain't cheap at $75 bucks.:eek2:

sproggy
05-20-2008, 12:05 PM
That's the 3rd bike that has fallen in my driveway, there must be some sort of a gravitational anomaly it couldn't be me, could it?

Let's see, surely nothing to do with the bike was in neutral facing down hill? :doh:

"neutral", "kickstand" and "facing downhill" are never a happy combination.:shock:

bones
05-20-2008, 12:16 PM
I had aluminum Renthals on my V-Strom 1000:mrgreen: and I have Ricky Carmichael bend Renthal fatbars on my RMZ450 which I have bent before and had to replace already.

I do not see how the fall bent the bars on the Bandit they did not touch since the bars were turned to the left as I was dismounting. I think I may have possibly bent them if they are indeed bent picking the whale up:rolleyes: I am going to loosen it all up this afternoon and take some measurements. I actually like the bend on the stock bars.:rider: Stock bars ain't cheap at $75 bucks.:eek2:
You can have mine. I got my Daytonas this week and might install them tonight.

Roy
05-20-2008, 12:21 PM
You can have mine. I got my Daytonas this week and might install them tonight.

How much you want for them?

bones
05-20-2008, 12:23 PM
$20? you need them before this weekend? might be tough

Tourmeister
05-20-2008, 12:26 PM
I feel your pain... I have had some gravitational issues myself...

http://www.twtex.com/photopost/data/512/frontpage47.JPG

etcthorne
05-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Sorry to hear about that Roy. I've done it twice over the years, both parking on an incline, once facing downhill and once facing uphill (enough where the kickstand slid backwards on pavement and actually broke backwards).

Not with the Bandit yet though. I make a practice now to always park in 1st gear when using the kickstand.

Roy
05-20-2008, 01:57 PM
$20? you need them before this weekend? might be tough

Chris I don't need them by this weekend but I am interested. Maybe we can work something out for next week. $20 sounds fair figure it with shipping to 39154.

thanks,
roy

bones
05-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Chris I don't need them by this weekend but I am interested. Maybe we can work something out for next week. $20 sounds fair figure it with shipping to 39154.

thanks,
roy
Roy, cover paypal fees if you are sending $$ that way and I will cover shipping. I have the box and packaging from my daytona's so they will be packed up nicely.

Any questions, whatnot just email me 30bones@gmail.com

Roy
05-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Roy, cover paypal fees if you are sending $$ that way and I will cover shipping. I have the box and packaging from my daytona's so they will be packed up nicely.

Sounds cool I'll contact you when I have time to mess with it. I'll make do through next week with what I have but having another one will make me sleep easier. I do have a pay pal account and can send the money that way if you prefer and certainly I'll cover the fees. Or I can send you a check or money order like I said no big hurry.

bones
05-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Whatever makes you happy and is easier for you. I am not going to loose sleep over $20. Heck I'd send these to you for some pro grips. Dealers here have nothing worth a crap. Mine are junk after 3500 miles and the grip heaters. just ruin them

DaveC
05-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Total cost for lever with discount $52.86. .....

It could have been worse I guess.
:eek2:
$52.86 with a discount!!!!!!
What the ..... are these like gold plated? Made of unobtainium?
I though $20 for a Voyager lever was steep!
That kind of money would by some bark busters. a pair I bet!

Roy
05-20-2008, 02:37 PM
:eek2:
$52.86 with a discount!!!!!!
What the ..... are these like gold plated? Made of unobtainium?
I though $20 for a Voyager lever was steep!
That kind of money would by some bark busters. a pair I bet!

Yes the Suzuki levers are pricey in most due to the adjustable lever mechanism and the Bandit has a hydraulic clutch which takes a robust lever.

I had 3 different type brake levers in my tool box and 1 cable clutch lever but not a hydraulic clutch lever.:doh:

Roy
05-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Whatever makes you happy and is easier for you. I am not going to loose sleep over $20. Heck I'd send these to you for some pro grips. Dealers here have nothing worth a crap. Mine are junk after 3500 miles and the grip heaters. just ruin them

I'll see if I can get some Pro Grips locally, regular black okay?

bones
05-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I'll see if I can get some Pro Grips locally, regular black okay?
I'd take pink if that was my only choice :rofl: (note: that was my sarcasm)

Dirtrideroader
05-20-2008, 02:59 PM
I did that about 3 times on my GS. Never from the side stand though. I try to leave my bike in gear to prevent this. Plus on the GS, it is an easy way to kill the engine.

The worst time for me was at a gas station. I dropped a glove on the right side and decided to reach down and pick it up. That was on my 1150GS with ADV length shocks. About the time I reached the glove, the bike started going down. I felt like I tweaked my back trying to stop it from going over. I was only able to pick it up because of the adrenalin from the embarrassment helped. When I got to work, I could hardly swing my leg over the bike to get off. I almost had a coworker drive me home that afternoon. With a double dose of Pain Aid, I was able to ride home.

Like someone else said, at least it was not an 85mph drop.

Larry_77084
05-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Let's see, surely nothing to do with ? :doh:

"neutral", "kickstand" and "facing downhill" are never a happy combination.:shock:

In my defense I didn't realize it was in neutral

Huladog
05-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Don't feel bad, remember I just did something similar too. Yep, I thought the side stand was "locked" into position but when I put weight on it, it folded up on me. Yep, no way to hold that top heavy sucker upright! All you can do is slow the drop to minimize damage.

I think I may have contributed to my side stand not "locking" because as it came from the factory you had to really push it to fully extend it, so I lubed it like a good mechanic would. So now I guess it moves out of the locked position too easily.

I also dropped a Triumph Sprint RS in my garage while sitting on the bike, that time it just started rolling forward on me and I couldn't hold it up and move my leg quickly enough without toppling over. From that wonderful experience I learned that you need to be like a camera tripod or easel, yah need three-points of contact to maintain stability (the two bike tires plus at least one foot). If your bike rolls on you, you lose your footing.

So what? Now to prevent another brain fart like that I always try to hold the front brake while sitting on the bike so the thing won't roll out from under my short legs.

Live and learn, that's why "Old Guys Rule".

Aloha,
Huladog

Brass
05-20-2008, 05:58 PM
If it helps anyone feel better, here is my story of shame.

More years ago than I care to admit, I was riding my then newly purchased ‘82 Yamaha 550 Vision. It was a muggy day at work and I had made a last minute decision to run out to a convenience store for a pop or juice or some other unimportant thing. Being on the tail end of my break I was in a bit of a hurry. I tossed my helmet on and raced over to the store with less than 5 minutes left on my lunch. Once at the store I stopped, pulled the key and raced towards the door. I may have made it 5 feet when the sickening thud/ crunch of the bike hitting the ground instantly made me freeze in mid step.

Being young, stupid and in a hurry, I got off the bike without even putting the side stand down. I didn’t get whatever it was I went for, I was docked for being late getting back to my shift and worse of all, the bike was bent. Ever since I double check the stand with a good kick to make sure it’s down before I lean the bike over on it.

MrH
05-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Roy, I had a similar experience many years ago when I was allowing my '84 BMW R100CS to warm up on its side stand after cold-starting parked next to my pick-up. It coughed and flopped to the right (with me standing on the left) into the drivers door of the truck. Caved in the truck door and thoroughly smashed the fiberglas cafe fairing of the Beemer. My insurance agent thought it odd when I put in a claim for 2 vehicles in which I wasn't operating either one. To this day, I never start or let my bikes warm up unless I'm sitting on them. I feel your pain!!!

dmerc
05-20-2008, 07:03 PM
The only bike I ever dropped, was a Voyager. THAT, was top heavy! The Bandit feels light as a feather comparably

You ALL need to learn how to lift 'em, in case it happens again. There's just too much chance of hurting yourself if you do it the hard way.

Put your BACK to the bike, squat down, grab under the seat, or a frame rail with one hand, the bar with the other, then lift with your legs.

here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjYweKeiLk&feature=related

edit: ALSO, it's usually quick and easy to grind some off the kickstand stop, so it swings a little further forward, which makes it much more secure.

gunzip
05-20-2008, 10:24 PM
i should have taken a picture.. woke up panicked in the middle of the night thinking something was wrong with the bandit. i stumbled out to my dirt floored garage to find the bike with the handle bar about six inches off the ground ; kickstand buried in a soft spot. weird huh? . Yes they are heavy to hoist upright and yes I put a steel plate under the stand now :trust:

Huladog
05-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Put your BACK to the bike, squat down, grab under the seat, or a frame rail with one hand, the bar with the other, then lift with your legs.

I really tried to do it the proper way when my Bandit toppled over, but somehow I just could not get a grip on it backward. I ended up using the same basic principle of using your LEGS to lift and not your BACK but facing the bike. More of a pushing the bike up with your legs and definitely not lifting the bike because that just ain't gonna work. Yes, having a grip on the bars is important along with a solid grip under the seat or frame.

One more tip, cause a friend learned the hard way, be sure you don't push the bike over the top going too far the other way! At least if you're lifting from the right side be sure the side stand it down on the left side. If you're going the other way, just be careful or I just rolled a big plastic trash bin on the other side to be sure I didn't tip over the other way.

Aloha,
Huladog

dmerc
05-20-2008, 10:50 PM
The main thing, is to not get hurt.

I was changing a tire on an XR 650 a few years ago. I had set it up on 2 jackstands, with a board in between.(yes, I'm stupid)

After finishing the tire install, I saw it start to tip, I grabbed for the bars, the jackstands kicked out, dropping the bike even faster as the wheels kicked sideways, and had my hand driven into the concrete floor with enough force to split the back of my hand wide open. (35 stitches) I could move my fingers and watch 3 of my finger's tendons working when wiggling my fingers.....literally!! (okay, that was kinda' cool!!)

So I ended up in the emergency room for hours, had surgery a few days later to screw a broken knuckle back together, couldn't close my fingers for MANY months because of soft tissue damage, and nicked tendons. I missed 8 weeks of work, and it cost my health ins. many thousands.

Had I let it fall, I prob'ly woulda' needed a new set of bars, grips, and a clutch lever. :mrgreen:

That XR weighed considerably less than our Bandits, so the point is:
It's only a machine, it can be fixed, don't risk important body parts for a bike!

labandit
05-21-2008, 05:34 PM

that's what i love about this site:thumb:

bones
05-21-2008, 05:53 PM
that's what i love about this site:thumb:
They'd just waste away on my shelf, why not get them out to someone that wants them?

Roy, I found some pro grips locally :eek2: and they were not pink :lol2: