• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MPG Test

Reaction score
Filled up today and decided to set the trip meter and got over 46 MPG cruising in 5th gear at 3,600 rpm...Not too bad.

i commute everyday on my sv - 60 miles round trip. i fill her up every other day and it consistently takes 2.1 gal.

120 miles / 2.1 gal = 57mpg

i love my sv650s!!!!:rider: :rider:

At 4200 miles, and a replacement 17 tooth sprocket, I installed a speedo healer to get the speedometer perfect to GPS. But, the ODO is off a bit - I'm thinking 5% or so. I plan a good long ride on the 31st and will post some mpg readings then. Significance here is that, the speedo was off before the sprocket by 6% high and really off by about 10% or so after the sprocket, but I am unsure if the stock ODO was dead on or off as I now know the stock ODO and SPDO are not sync'd for whatever reasons.

More in about a week or so with mpg readings with a dead-on (or spot-on for you Euro's) speedometer.

Phil

i commute everyday on my sv - 60 miles round trip. i fill her up every other day and it consistently takes 2.1 gal.

120 miles / 2.1 gal = 57mpg

i love my sv650s!!!!:rider: :rider:

My son gets about that on our 1st gen SV650 but he weighs about 130 lbs. I weight twice what he weighs and I still get 43mpg on that bike.

The best I can do on my Bandit is 39 mpg (a 2000 model) but its modified (pipe and jet kit).

I get 50mpg highway and 40ish city. At least we aren't havin' to pay what they are in Europe...................yet.:ponder:

My Bandit 1250 ('07) is getting around 44+ MPG when I take it easy which is good because with gas at almost $4/gallon, I'll be taking the sucker to work a LOT more often now.

Ol Dave

I now know the stock ODO and SPDO are not sync'd for whatever reasons.

By law the odometer has to be accurate. No such law for the speedometer. The speedometers are notorious for being inaccurate toward reading too fast. When you adjusted the speedometer to be more accurate you have now thrown off the accuracy of the odometer.

Also, many newer bikes use the counter sprocket as the "counter" for speed and distance. By changing gear ratios via changing the sprockets you throw off the programing of the spedo.

Isn't Math Great???:sun:

I mean, without it, our bikes would not work nor have been designed nor would my "Speedo Healer" have a quick way of determining offset percentages to fix your speedometer, or in my case, my odometer.

Well, today was a particularly nice day in Mid-Ohio and the family was out so I decided to heal my odometer now that I know the speedo and odo will never sync on this bike and the odo is more important to me.

These are brand new Avon Storm St tires with a 17 tooth front sporcket, stock rear sprocket.

Here's what I did:

Initial Run - Set the Healer to factory 0%. Set GPS to 0.0, and Trip "B" to 0.0. I took off on a straight freeway ride with little to no turning just in case it mattered. Here are the results:

75MPH on GPS
87MPH on Speedometer
4600RPM on Tach
6th gear
13.0 GPS trip
14.1 Odometer trip

Based on the formula of:

((GPS/Indicated)-1)x100) = % of offset to be set in Speedo Healer

I wanted to fix the ODO, so it went like this:

13.0 divided by 14.1, minus 1, times 100, equals -7.8%.

Secondary Run - Set the Healer to -7.8%. Set GPS to 0.0, and Trip "B" to 0.0. I took off on the same return trip home straight freeway ride with little to no turning just in case it mattered again. Here are the final results:

75MPH on GPS
80MPH on Speedometer
4600RPM on Tach
6th gear
13.5 GPS trip
13.5 Odometer trip (yippee!!):clap:

The odometer is now dead on and the speedometer is indicating like Japanese bikes do - high - by 5MPH at 75 mph - no big deal.

An exact odo was more important to me as my Iron Butt ride is coming up later this year and I wanted it close for tracking, MPG, etc, etc.

There ya go.

Later - Phil

mine is all over the board 35 to 45 mpg highway the lowest running GPS 85~90 mph.

32-28 on average. Seems to be getting better the last couple tanks. I am at 5700 miles and just switched to Zuk synthetic last week, was Reotella synthetic before. hmmm

I am thinking I am in the 40's FINALLY.

This works out to 48.4 mpg (US). Maybe Aussie gas is better than domestic blended.

Maybe our Police and associated speeding laws are more draconian, "they" try and make out that speeders are criminals, national open road speed limit is 100 kmh (62mph) occassional freeways allow 110kmh (68mph) but I know our fuel is rubbish.

Dink

Just got back from a trip to CO on my 05 FJR. I got from a low of 38 while screaming through the desert and doing high speed twisties to a high of 48 on two tanks while crusing slow through the mountains.

I rode 206 miles exactly, 75% city and 25% highway from this tank of fuel. I put in 4.500 US gals. exactly in the tank. Prior to filling the tank I looked in and shook the bike. I really don't think there was close to 1/2 gal. left in the tank. The mark and the segment never did blink on and off together. For the record I got 45.77 mpg from the tank of gasoline.
Sometime I'm going to fill the bike on the centerstand instead of fueling with bike on the sidestand. Just curious, but I believe you can get more gas in the tank with bike on centerstand.

:rider:

I rode 206 miles exactly, 75% city and 25% highway from this tank of fuel. I put in 4.500 US gals. exactly in the tank. Prior to filling the tank I looked in and shook the bike. I really don't think there was close to 1/2 gal. left in the tank. The mark and the segment never did blink on and off together. For the record I got 45.77 mpg from the tank of gasoline.

That's about 57 miles per UK gallon :eek2: - you're not riding hard enough!

The mark and segment blink together when you've got a litre and a half left (I've checked this - put 17.5 litres in a few hundred yards after they started flashing together). 4.5 US gallons is about 16.3 litres so you still had another litre to go before they started flashing together assuming the tank was brimmed at the previous fill.

Sometime I'm going to fill the bike on the centerstand instead of fueling with bike on the sidestand. Just curious, but I believe you can get more gas in the tank with bike on centerstand.

I don't have a centrestand but I always fill the bike while I'm sitting on it, holding it upright. It takes a while to dribble the last half a litre in but having crammed in 17.5 litres from mark and segment flashing I'm pretty confident that I get it filled right up to 19 litres that way. I've never tried filling it on the side stand.

That's about 57 miles per UK gallon :eek2: - you're not riding hard enough!

The mark and segment blink together when you've got a litre and a half left (I've checked this - put 17.5 litres in a few hundred yards after they started flashing together). 4.5 US gallons is about 16.3 litres so you still had another litre to go before they started flashing together assuming the tank was brimmed at the previous fill.

I don't have a centrestand but I always fill the bike while I'm sitting on it, holding it upright. It takes a while to dribble the last half a litre in but having crammed in 17.5 litres from mark and segment flashing I'm pretty confident that I get it filled right up to 19 litres that way. I've never tried filling it on the side stand.

I must admit that I did keep the bike under 4,500 rpm for the most part. Yes the previous fill up was as full as I could get it with the bike on the centerstand.

Back