• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Two-Tone Wheels

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, been riding in South Dakota and Now Oregon all my life. I'm getting into touring and have big plans for my bike and some long road trips. As I was getting familiar with this site, I noticed that a few of you guys have two tone wheels. I think they look sweet and I'd like to do it to my own wheels since I scratched the heck out of my back wheel when I changed out the tire. I'm assuming you strip them and polish them some how. How would you do that without messing up the black that you want to leave there? Thanks.

Aircraft stripper from the paint section of Home Depot and steel wool. Keep the wool very wet for best results.

Did you mask off the parts you wanted to keep black? How do you get a nice straight line around the rim?

I found that no masking was necessary. It takes a fair amount of elbow grease to get results and the tape soaked through anyway. The ridges on the wheel provided a guide and made it pretty simple to get sharp lines.

Recent.jpg

That looks sweet! I'm gonna hit home depot this week and give it a try next weekend. Thanks for the info.

Back