• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dual Sporting in Arkansas... There be ATV's in them thar woods...

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Yeah... seeing this coming at you sideways on your side of the road sucks... :argh:
IMG_4054.JPG

And then of course, there's the whole aftermath of T-Boning it :doh:
IMG_4061.JPG

Thank God for good gear and one lucky 16 year old kid...

Last edited:
Dang Scott, looks like we are going to have to ban you from leaving Walker County on a bike.

Well, that sucks. Where were you when it happened. Wolf Pen? F/S road? Is he paying for it? Sounds like you are ok. We had a kid (maybe 12yr)come out of a field and cross the pavement in a corner without looking. Lucky we saw her and were on the brakes. This happened in AR. At Wolf Pen, we were cruising down one of the more open trails that were for 2 way traffic when we came upon a group of quads. A young adult female was in the lead and doing 30 or so. She turned her head back to check on her group and drifted all the way into my lane. Lucky for me I saw it coming and headed for the ditch. She turned around and had a funny look on her face as she locked it up. Stuff happens but in some places it happens more often.

We were in the mountains North of Hwy 80 between Waldron and Danville.

CR 706 due North of Waltreak

:tab 16 year old driver, no insurance, on a maintained FS road. His Dad was pretty adamant that anything that happens on these roads is "no fault" because insurance is not required on ATV's. At the time, he was my ride down off the mountain and he was quite agitated about the possibility of a law suit, so we assured him that my insurance would take care of it and did not argue with him. Contrary to the kid's story when his dad arrived, he was totally in my lane, locked it up, and slid into me sideways. At the point of impact, I was almost into the ditch on the inside and just about stopped. I did not go flying. The bike just rolled over the back end of the ATV with me still on it, then landed on the right side, with me under it, and facing the wrong direction. The kid was fine. I have a sore right ankle and left shoulder. The SIDI boots did their job and protected the ankle from the full weight of the bike. The shoulder is sore from the jarring of the bars at impact I guess... :shrug: Otherwise, I am fine. I did not hit the ground hard at all. He told his dad they were only going 15mph and that he was in the center of the road. They were actually going more like 35-40mph and riding side by side, taking up the entire road. I was hugging the inside edge, as experience has taught me on blind corners like this, and doing about 20-25mph climbing up hill. From the moment I first saw them until impact was maybe 1-2 seconds, if that...

errrr.....so are you trying to get the "TWT official gear tester" job? ouch! besides the front forks being toast, anything else wrong?

errrr.....so are you trying to get the "TWT official gear tester" job? ouch! besides the front forks being toast, anything else wrong?

Well, I have not given it a good going over just yet. Bent front rim and spokes. Bent forks. Split front fender. Trashed highway pegs/engine guard. Missing subframe bolt at bottom of frame where it attaches to main frame right behind the engine and above the foot peg, some more scratches and dings in the gas tank, more scratches on the side plastics. I have not checked the handle bars to see if they got tweaked. Not sure about the steering head bearings/triple clamp, or the frame at the steering stem.

Well, I have not given it a good going over just yet. Bent front rim and spokes. Bent forks. Split front fender. Trashed highway pegs/engine guard. Missing subframe bolt at bottom of frame where it attaches to main frame right behind the engine and above the foot peg, some more scratches and dings in the gas tank, more scratches on the side plastics. I have not checked the handle bars to see if they got tweaked. Not sure about the steering head bearings/triple clamp, or the frame at the steering stem.

I think I speak for the inmates when I say "We're glad you're ok!" :clap:

bikes are fixable.

Dang guy, glad you are OK. Is this an annual thing you like to do or something?

You need to sell that KLR and take up a safer hobby...maybe a bomb tech. :lol2:

Scott, glad to hear that you are alright. Hope repairs go well, shall I keep my eyes open for a compete KLR front end?

So did you get the perps name and address? That way your insurance company well deal with collections.
So you rode a long wheely home?

glad you're ok, and I hope the insurance things works out, and hopefully the family will at least take some responcibility.

Glad you're OK, Scott. I heard about this through the grapevine on Sunday. I hope your insurance can work it out and that you're back riding soon.

And then of course, there's the whole aftermath of T-Boning it :doh:
IMG_4061.jpg
Okay, so you beat me in "the worst DS carnage" category for Memorial Day weekend... I'm just glad it was a quad and not another truck coming around the bend...

We were in the mountains North of Hwy 80 between Waldron and Danville.

CR 706 due North of Waltreak

:tab 16 year old driver, no insurance, on a maintained FS road. His Dad was pretty adamant that anything that happens on these roads is "no fault" because insurance is not required on ATV's.

I thought that only street-legal, "platable" vehicles were allowed on FS roads. Seems to me that your insurance company will have a field day with this one.

Anybody want to buy a good skid plate off a trashed KLR? :eek2: Sorry about your bike. Glad you and the kid are ok! Can I come over and see the carnage?

pk

Dang Scott, I'm glad to hear that you are alright for the most part. Heal up buddy!

Glad you're okay. It can't be fun meeting one of those on the trail.

Years ago when I still rode dirt bikes, we used to ride out by Hwy 360 in DFW (It's a golf course now). We quit because so many folks were starting to ride dune buggies out there. Coming over a hill into a dune buggie is not my idea of fun.

Back