PDA

View Full Version : Oil consumption

Roy
05-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Okay I have noticed the big Bandit has a little appetite for oil. Never do I smell it or see it smoke but I have to add 100 mill after about 2200~2500 miles, that is touring miles not around town. Yes I run it hard out on the road, 80~90 GPS mph which is about 5k rpm and a little higher. At this point I am not about to push the panic button just yet. My old V-stroms never used oil being run generally the same way. 100 mill is not that much and of course an engine should use a little oil its generally classified as normal. I am still under the factory warranty until July 20th and I plan on documenting this with the dealer. Suzuki won't do squat unless its using a quart per 1,000 miles. I am monitoring the usage since I commute on it everyday 225 miles a week. I have had to add after the last two trips same amount with same amount of mileage. Never had to add any just commuting. No leaks so rule that out. Bike runs great! plugs looks fine very clean and no oil residue in the air box. No one ever sees it smoke while behind me. I call it normal what has been everyone elses findings on this. BTW I use Suzuki 10w40 and their oil filters and have used their oil in everything for many years. Bike is closing in on 12k miles.

GregH
05-28-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm only at 5,000 playtime miles but haven't had to add a drop.

twist
05-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Mine's not drinking any either :sun:

PhilS
05-28-2008, 07:15 PM
+2 on the "zero oil consumption idea".

I ran stock Suzuki oil and filter for the first 4000 miles, and now run Rotella Synthetic (don't start guys) and a K&N filter (don't start here either guys). I also dropped in 6oz of XR-1. Bike is smooth, quiet, and eats "0" oil.

kurt
05-28-2008, 07:21 PM
You had to mention oil consumption in the same breath as the Bandit. Now I have to go back into therapy. My 2002 burned about a quart every 1000 miles and Suzuki considered that acceptable. A year later they replaced the pistons, but the love was gone at that point. Some oil use isn't unusual in a bike with coated cylinders for the fist few thousand miles. 100cc in 2500 is nothing.

suzukijo
05-28-2008, 08:24 PM
i agree with Kurt. oil consumption is normal as tire wear.
I watch my gsf1250 bandit, and it doesnt seem to comsume any, but it may.

huge amounts may be significant in that, if not watched and refilled as needed can end up in disaster, if run with low or near empty of oil.

the window, with a high and low marks, means anything in that range is ok.

imho.

whitesands
05-28-2008, 10:25 PM
I haven't noticed any and the oil is checked every day.....

But only 3.4 ounces (about 1/4 quart) per 2,500 miles is oustanding performance...You've definitely got a good ring seal....If there was an issue there it would be much more than that...Especially cruising at 90 mph.

Not to start another EARL controversy but just an observation...With that small amount more than likely it is just some evaporation loss which will hapen no matter how good your rings are...Some oils are more prone to this than others.

Roy
05-29-2008, 05:50 AM
I think I might be the only one who has put that many miles on one in so few a days on long trips. Its hot down here, I run it hard and I usually change oil right before a long trip. 100 mill is not much equals about half the sight glass between L and H so sight glass must be about 200 mill +/-. I confess I do not fill it to the H line a little below that since overfull is worse than underfull. Oil swells alot when hot so if its on the H line cold it will be overfull once hot. Strange you say but that is one of my pet peaves from the V-twin days, over fill those and you'd have leaks in no time. mileage around town it seems fine. It might be running a tad rich since I am noticing soot blown out of the Leo can and my rear blinker has some on it. Its the brown cat soot you see cars blow out, wish that think was out.

whitesands
05-29-2008, 02:56 PM
I think I might be the only one who has put that many miles on one in so few a days on long trips. Its hot down here, I run it hard and I usually change oil right before a long trip. 100 mill is not much equals about half the sight glass between L and H so sight glass must be about 200 mill +/-. I confess I do not fill it to the H line a little below that since overfull is worse than underfull. Oil swells alot when hot so if its on the H line cold it will be overfull once hot. Strange you say but that is one of my pet peaves from the V-twin days, over fill those and you'd have leaks in no time. mileage around town it seems fine. It might be running a tad rich since I am noticing soot blown out of the Leo can and my rear blinker has some on it. Its the brown cat soot you see cars blow out, wish that think was out.

I noticed your other thread that you thought you may be running rich...What can happen in that situation is small amounts of unburned fuel can make it down into the crank case and lower the flash point of the oil which means the oil can burn off easier....Also, you can run into some oil contamination...You might want to run a UOA and they can tell you if you have any fuel in your oil...If so it'll lower the flashpoint, decrease the oil weight, and contaminate the oil...

Do you have an A/f ratio from your remap ?

Roy
05-29-2008, 03:24 PM
I noticed your other thread that you thought you may be running rich...What can happen in that situation is small amounts of unburned fuel can make it down into the crank case and lower the flash point of the oil which means the oil can burn off easier....Also, you can run into some oil contamination...You might want to run a UOA and they can tell you if you have any fuel in your oil...If so it'll lower the flashpoint, decrease the oil weight, and contaminate the oil...

Do you have an A/f ratio from your remap ?

No I do not. I re-mapped it like I usually do any Suzuki from the past. Usually just to clean up the jerkyness common in on-off throttle transitions. I am goinf to set it back stock possibly today and see if that changes anything. I have the O2 hooked up now and hate it cannot wait to get home and plug the bypass back in. I feel the rich condition may be doing exactly as you say but man it runs great with the re-map. I also thought about pulling the snorkel out of the air box lid and leaving the re-map the way it is. When running up top hard past 7k rpm I do feel it starves for air cause I can let off the throttle a little and feel it gain speed. The air box on this bike is way too small as is the filter. Thanks for the help.

terrebandit
05-29-2008, 07:49 PM
You had to mention oil consumption in the same breath as the Bandit. Now I have to go back into therapy. My 2002 burned about a quart every 1000 miles and Suzuki considered that acceptable. A year later they replaced the pistons, but the love was gone at that point. Some oil use isn't unusual in a bike with coated cylinders for the fist few thousand miles. 100cc in 2500 is nothing.

+1

Don't worry...just ride.

Roy
05-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Local long time expert mechanic told me not to worry that 100 mill in 2200 miles is too small an amout to worry about. Sort of what I already knew.

I am still watching it though.