PDA

View Full Version : So I was bored wit ha great running engine...

Roy
05-29-2008, 08:24 AM
.....an decided to take my O2 bypass out and run the bike a few days in stock form to see if my mileage was any more than my current setup of O2 bypass and Yosh box FI re-mapped +5% on the low. Well I barely made it to work today the bike runs so poorly in stock form. Surging everywhere with the O2 hooked up. Man I had forgot how aweful the FI was in O2 form. Basically no power or least no where near what I am used to with the other setup. Even the Leo pipe was muted. So screw that O2 when I get home the bypass will be plugged back in and I'll pay at the pump which I don't think it affected the mileage that much to begin with, 1~3 mpg less maybe with the bypass connected. You can definetly tell the O2 leans even the re-mapped ECM settings so its a strong little device when it goes to sniffing the fumes. The surging is terrible. I have had the O2 bypassed since last August so I had forgot how bad it was. I plan on pluging the O2 bypass back in and re-mapping back to a stock ECM setting just to see if maybe I am too rich.

Brass
05-29-2008, 08:34 AM
I'd be interested in knowing if the O2 bypass without the remapping would get rid of the 3800 rpm surge.
I don't have access to a yosh box or PCIII or any other mapping devices but a bypass is easily done.
Keep us posted.

bones
05-29-2008, 09:09 AM
I'd like to be able to bypass my O2 also. Wish I had bought that from Dale when he sold it solo. I am getting a Yosh pipe this week and no plans for a PC3 or similar at this point.

FWIW mine seems pretty smooth for the most part in stock form. We'll see if I can bypass it what it will change for me.

Roy
05-29-2008, 09:22 AM
I'd like to be able to bypass my O2 also. Wish I had bought that from Dale when he sold it solo. I am getting a Yosh pipe this week and no plans for a PC3 or similar at this point.

FWIW mine seems pretty smooth for the most part in stock form. We'll see if I can bypass it what it will change for me.

Yea I thought mine was smooth too back before I got the O2 bypassed. I can also tell you the bikes power is flat with the O2 connected.;-) I have just got used to the Leo pipe and O2 bypassed and man I did not realize the thing was making that kind of power. I am headed to that part of town this evening to re-check the balance on my front tire at a friends house the guy with the Yosh box works right around the corner. He can bump me back to stock settings on the ECM in about 5 seconds. I do think its a tad rich on the bottom at +5% on the low since I soot up a bit from commute riding. It runs fine with this setting though so I may end up back with it. I rap on the throttle in the garage a few hard times up to 7~8k rpm's and soot goes a flying. Although anything with a cat will do this I am told.

Roy
05-29-2008, 09:24 AM
I'd be interested in knowing if the O2 bypass without the remapping would get rid of the 3800 rpm surge.
I don't have access to a yosh box or PCIII or any other mapping devices but a bypass is easily done.
Keep us posted.

I'll see if I can get it done this evening and report back. Rough educated guess is that it will get rid of the surge but since I have a pipe on my bike I might be better off keeping the +5% enrichment on the low end. I know that is what the guy is going to tell me.

whitesands
05-29-2008, 02:33 PM
I've also wondered if you could do the 02 bypass without doing all the other stuff to richen up the low end a little...But how much richer does it make the A/F ratio ? Don't want to go too rich either..
I've also heard that if you just do the 02 bypass the ECU will learn over time an lean it back out if you don't have some sort of fuel remapping device as well...Wether this is correct or not I do not know...I'm not even sure how the 02 sensor works or what it exactly does other "02 sensing".

Roy
05-29-2008, 03:27 PM
I've also wondered if you could do the 02 bypass without doing all the other stuff to richen up the low end a little...But how much richer does it make the A/F ratio ? Don't want to go too rich either..
I've also heard that if you just do the 02 bypass the ECU will learn over time an lean it back out if you don't have some sort of fuel remapping device as well...Wether this is correct or not I do not know...I'm not even sure how the 02 sensor works or what it exactly does other "02 sensing".

I know it runs great re-mapped and the O2 bypassed but the pipe is soot black but so is my buddies C14 with no mods and I see his smoke from time to time. I am tempted to try the O2 bypassed and re-map to stock if that does no good re-map it back and pull the air box snorkel to allow more air in which it needs now.

Roy
05-30-2008, 06:21 AM
No re-map yesterday the mechanic did not have his Yosh box at work with him. We will re-map it back to stock today and use the O2 bypass. He did say it is running a little fat like it is but that it would not hurt anything, that is why it runs so strong. It runs terrible with the O2 sensor active:doh: If that does not work then we are going to -5% on the low to lean it out a bit but I have a feeling it will run fine with no re-map or set to stock and the O2 bypass in place. I hope it does not lose power stock cuz it runs strong now with a +5% re-map on the low.

whitesands
06-03-2008, 08:05 PM
No re-map yesterday the mechanic did not have his Yosh box at work with him. We will re-map it back to stock today and use the O2 bypass. He did say it is running a little fat like it is but that it would not hurt anything, that is why it runs so strong. It runs terrible with the O2 sensor active:doh: If that does not work then we are going to -5% on the low to lean it out a bit but I have a feeling it will run fine with no re-map or set to stock and the O2 bypass in place. I hope it does not lose power stock cuz it runs strong now with a +5% re-map on the low.

So, you're going to go back to stock settings except for the 02 sensor bypass ?

Let us know how it works...

Roy
06-04-2008, 08:44 AM
So, you're going to go back to stock settings except for the 02 sensor bypass ?

Let us know how it works...

I went back stock and within 20 miles it threw a FI light:eek2: Tried to pull the code but was not successful. Going to get it on the SDS this weekend to retrieve the code but I suspect it was the O2 bypass not plugged in correctly. I checked it and re-seated it and so far no more FI light. I un-plugged the O2 bypass and left O2 wire disconnected and got the FI light right away so I am sure that was what it was at the time. I'll know for sure saturday when I plug the bike up to diagnostics and get the actual code. As for running it runs fine stock ECM map and O2 bypassed. No surging but not as snappy on the throttle as before. I did discover my TPS was off during all this once I was in dealer mode. I plan on setting that saturday also.

whitesands
06-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the info and keep us updated.

dmerc
06-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Roy, how does the Yosh box hookup? Is it possible to get a connection from the ECU, to a laptop, and change it? Like a PC-III?

Roy
06-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Roy, how does the Yosh box hookup? Is it possible to get a connection from the ECU, to a laptop, and change it? Like a PC-III?

No it hooks up to the big black plug by the ECM. No changes made by laptop. Only by the Yosh box itself. I suggest you don't use a Yosh box unless your going to bypass the O2 sensor at the same time. That combination worked well for me until my bypass went bad. I am currently awaiting a replacement bypass from Dobeck Performance, I should have it in another week or so I guess.

dmerc
06-13-2008, 09:22 AM
No it hooks up to the big black plug by the ECM. No changes made by laptop. Only by the Yosh box itself. I suggest you don't use a Yosh box unless your going to bypass the O2 sensor at the same time. That combination worked well for me until my bypass went bad. I am currently awaiting a replacement bypass from Dobeck Performance, I should have it in another week or so I guess.

Seems like an interface cable "could" make it possible to do it with a PC tho', no? A software program would have to be available, of course.

Surely, the original ECU values are loaded up by computer? Computers can do anything!:mrgreen:

I like to think outside the "box" (pun intended!!)

dmerc
06-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Note, I don't really have any problems serious enough to warrant it, but I'd get a PC-III if I did.

Finding a way to update the ECU via computer, is my only interest.

Memory is flashable by computer.......computer hardware's firmware can be updated....

There's got to be a way.

(sorry, I have a driving curiosity that consumes me):mrgreen:

Roy
06-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Note, I don't really have any problems serious enough to warrant it, but I'd get a PC-III if I did.

Finding a FREE way to update the ECU, is my only interest.

The Yosh box worked fine. I really had no issues with it until my bypass went bad then I went back to the stock ECU settings since it worked better with the O2 hooked up verses the Yosh settings at the time.

dmerc
06-13-2008, 09:40 AM

Finding a way to update the ECU via computer, is my only interest.

Memory is flashable by computer.......computer hardware's firmware can be updated....

There's got to be a way.

(sorry, I have a driving curiosity that consumes me):mrgreen:

Sorry, I edited my post AFTER you had already replied.

And, here's a link to interfacing a 'Busa ECU..... very interesting, in the few minutes I've researched it!

http://www.bikeland.info/petrik/FDT/hayabusa_ecu_programmer.JPG

Roy
06-13-2008, 10:20 PM
SEE MY SYNC THREAD, MORE INFO THERE ON WHAT THE OUTCOME WAS.

thanks
roy:rider:

windman
06-14-2008, 05:43 AM
I have a Holeshot TFI O2 bypass set up and I did removed them because I had a intermittent problem that append to be a bad connection of the kill switch...anyway just to say that me too I didn't remember how bad was the OEM ECM-O2 set up...glad to be back with my TFI box.

Roy
06-14-2008, 07:43 AM
I have a Holeshot TFI O2 bypass set up and I did removed them because I had a intermittent problem that append to be a bad connection of the kill switch...anyway just to say that me too I didn't remember how bad was the OEM ECM-O2 set up...glad to be back with my TFI box.

windman see my sync post it actually is not bad stock when properly tuned.

whitesands
06-15-2008, 09:15 PM
SEE MY SYNC THREAD, MORE INFO THERE ON WHAT THE OUTCOME WAS.

thanks
roy:rider:

That was great info...Thanks!

Lost Yankee
06-16-2008, 02:09 PM
This thread makes me wonder about on-board EGT. There's got to be a way to correlate the map with temp, and it'd be a unique farkle.