• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Crooked Creek Cycle Park near Waco

Never heard of it, from the pics the trails aren't very well used either.

Open to public the first weekend of every month, hmm...

Many of the parks like this that I have found are private only, ie; members only. So that could be the case here as well but they have weekends open to the public. The event I saw is a BMW sponsored weekend of riding put on by a DFW BMW dealership. $10 to play.

Feb 27, Sunday *** GS RIDE Updated information ***
GS / DUAL SPORT RIDING DAY, Crooked Creek Cycle Park (940.367.3917), northeast of Waco and near West, TX. Hosted by BMW Motorcycles of Fort Worth. Meet at BMW Motorcycles, 1503 W. Hurst Blvd, NE Loop 820 and Hwy 10 by 7:45 AM for a group ride to Crooked Creek. ETA at Crook Creek is 10 AM. Cost is $10 per person. The sign-up quota is met so reservations are no longer required. Lunch and refreshments provided by BMW FW. Directions to Crooked Creek: approx 4 mi south of Mt. Calm at TX 31 and FM 939, go south, take the first gate on left after passing Happy Swaner Road. For more info, call Ted Beechler at BMW of Fort Worth, 817.595.0000. Info about Crooked Creek at www.crookedcreekcyclepark.com.

Adios,

I was looking at the red river site and they mention Croked Creek park.

Opened in 2003, 500 acres of woods and fields, creeks and a lake, with camping. Riding on trails only.

http://www.redriverdirtriders.org/Trail Talk.htm

They list a couple other north Texas places, I can't recommend Marshall Creek though, it' just up the road from me and I won't ride there.

It's pretty dangerous. Just open park, lots of jumps and trails but no direction, folks going both ways over jumps etc. on bikes ATV's and 4 wheel drives. Too easy to become a hood ornament.

It appears they are trying to change this, but I haven't been out there to see yet.

Tourmeister said:
Howdy,

I lifted this cite from a notice about a BMW event. Anyone ever been here? Looks like it would be pretty cool!

www.crookedcreekcyclepark.com

Adios,

I've been there a couple of times and really like it. There are several trails you could probably do on the GS. They allow quads so the trails aren't really narrow, but they aren't super wide either. The people who own it are very nice and happy to talk to you about the trails and riding in general. If it were closer to home, I would probably join. As it is I just try to catch the public days which are the first weekend of each month.

If you want to meet up there one weekend, I'd love to do that. The only downside is that it takes a while to dry out so if we get a extended rain it will have some mud holes. I really like it though.

Tourmeister said:
.... The event I saw is a BMW sponsored weekend of riding put on by a DFW BMW dealership. $10 to play....

Scott, do you think you might be able to make it to this?

If we don't get any more rain this week, I am going to ride down for it and drag a couple of KLR TWTexans with me :twisted:

:tab Nope, cannot make it. Unfortunately, I am on 24hr call for work and cannot venture far from home. Also, I can't get the schedule changed around. I wish I had know about it much sooner as I really would like to do some serious offroad riding with some GS riders that know what they are doing in the hopes I could learn some new stuff.

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
I really would like to do some serious offroad riding with some GS riders that know what they are doing in the hopes I could learn some new stuff.

:scratch Dunno about that, doubt the hard-core ADVrider-type GS guys would show up to this type of event, but I could be wrong.

I'm thinking it's going to be more like dirt-newbie GS riders, like me :rofl

I spent much of my younger years playing in the sand and occasional snow on ATVs, but don't really have much time off-road on two wheels, yet ;-)

When I was growing up we used to make an annual trip to The Flying "P" Cycle Ranch near Weatherford. We used to ride there for a dollar a bike. I read a post a couple of years ago where the family finally closed it in 2000.

I did see a post on another board where someone was talking about a new riding area near Weatherford. I was wondering if someone reopened the old Flying "P"?

bluedogok said:
When I was growing up we used to make an annual trip to The Flying "P" Cycle Ranch near Weatherford. We used to ride there for a dollar a bike. I read a post a couple of years ago where the family finally closed it in 2000.

I did see a post on another board where someone was talking about a new riding area near Weatherford. I was wondering if someone reopened the old Flying "P"?

Rip-Char is the area they are probably referring to. I'm not 100% sure, but i've heard that at least part of it is the old Flying P stomping grounds. Never rode Flying P but I have been to Rip-Char a number of times. Great trails, but they can be pretty technical in places.

http://www.rip-char.com/

WoodButcher said:
Tourmeister said:
Howdy,

I lifted this cite from a notice about a BMW event. Anyone ever been here? Looks like it would be pretty cool!

www.crookedcreekcyclepark.com

Adios,

I've been there a couple of times and really like it. There are several trails you could probably do on the GS. They allow quads so the trails aren't really narrow, but they aren't super wide either. The people who own it are very nice and happy to talk to you about the trails and riding in general. If it were closer to home, I would probably join. As it is I just try to catch the public days which are the first weekend of each month.

If you want to meet up there one weekend, I'd love to do that. The only downside is that it takes a while to dry out so if we get a extended rain it will have some mud holes. I really like it though.

I would have to agree with the above with a couple of minor differences. It would be hard for me to try and ride a GS on most of the trails. My barkbusters paid for themselves on our ride there. If there has been any rain at all I would avoid it. The mud is super slick and will cling to the bike and dry to almost cement. The owners are really great people and I would like to ride there again. Wish it was closer so I could ride it more.

Hemibee said:
If there has been any rain at all I would avoid it. The mud is super slick and will cling to the bike and dry to almost cement.

I guess that rules out riding down there this weekend with the cowtown group :angryfir:

Bummer, I was really looking forward to it :-(

Adan said:
Hemibee said:
If there has been any rain at all I would avoid it. The mud is super slick and will cling to the bike and dry to almost cement.

I guess that rules out riding down there this weekend with the cowtown group :angryfir:

Bummer, I was really looking forward to it :-(

A picture paints a 1000 words............

f5048044.jpg

It had been rain free for several days, 4 or 5 I think before the ride. Right at two hours to clean the bike and the riding gear.

Tourmeister said:
Yeah, but I bet you had fun :dude:

:mrgreen: Yea, we did. My son spanked my butt in those trees. For the first time he had to wait on me to finish the trail. :mrgreen:

I think you forgot tell them the about what a mixture of leaves and mud do. WASH OUT!!! :eek:
For me it was one of the craziest rides I have been on. But it was one of our funnest rides ever. :mrgreen:

Back