• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Iron Butt Ride - on your Bandit or other

PhilS

Reaction score
Hey guys/girls:

I am foolishly planning to make a SaddleSore ride later this year. This is the Iron Butt's adapted 1000 miles in 24 hours or less ride. Of course, I am looking to do this on my '07 Bandit and most likely on my Spencer Gel Modified seat. It's a good seat, but I'm not sure it's a good 1000 mile in a day seat...........we'll see.

Curious - has anyone else completed an Iron Butt ride on thier Bandit or any other bike for that matter? If so, tell us how you did it and on what. I read that 1 hour on the highway at 70+ average then a 40 minute rest period done 15 times in a row with a well-planned route will get it done.:sleep:

Let us know.

Phil

A 1000/24 IBR isn't a problem. It is a pretty relaxing ride. I did it a couple of years ago. I was on my Valkyrie which was a breeze. But the friend that I rode with was on a 450 Rebel. The most challenging part of the ride was riding through what turned out to be hurricane Bob. That was pretty tough on her little Rebel.

You can do it, no problem. Have fun!
Delores

Hi Delores:

Was your ride a big round circle back home or did you do some form of a straight line out?

Phil

Went to Ft. Stockton & back. The other option was Pensacola & back. We we should have gone there since they had sunny skies.:sun: Did I mention Hurricane Bob?:doh: It was cold and wet and windy. We were 25 miles away from home when my friend on her 450 Rebel decided she had had enough. I told her to get back on that bike and I would drag her home if I had to. She was not gonna bail after we had gotten that far. It makes for great tire kicking. I give her lots of credit. I wouldn't have thought about doing an Iron Butt on that bike.

I will be doing a Bun Burner 1500 for the Summer Solstice Ride this year. I wanta get that out of the way so I can get credit for the special rides that I do complete but don't qualify for. But I ride a BMW K1200GT so it shouldn't be bad but a nice challenge.

delores

I did 150 miles today on the stock,unmodified seat.

I FEEL like I rode 1000miles!

Does that count????

:mrgreen:

Almost, I did 250 mem. day on the stock saddle, It sure gets narrow and starts to burn, I'll be looking for a gel pad of some sort or a big sheep skin.

I did 300 miles today on the KLR650 no problem. At least not with the seat. The sand in the clothes was a little abrasive after riding the beach all morning:lol2:

Delores

Hey guys/girls:

I am foolishly planning to make a SaddleSore ride later this year. This is the Iron Butt's adapted 1000 miles in 24 hours or less ride. Of course, I am looking to do this on my '07 Bandit and most likely on my Spencer Gel Modified seat. It's a good seat, but I'm not sure it's a good 1000 mile in a day seat...........we'll see.

Curious - has anyone else completed an Iron Butt ride on their Bandit or any other bike for that matter? If so, tell us how you did it and on what. I read that 1 hour on the highway at 70+ average then a 40 minute rest period done 15 times in a row with a well-planned route will get it done.:sleep:

Let us know.

Phil

Hey Phil, I have been planning a Bun Burner 1500, but the route I have planned seems to be right through the middle of the worst weather recently.
I did my SS1K on my 650 V-Strom in Aug of 2006. I had just received my Sargent seat and was ready to give it the ultimate test. My ride was an out and back. Left McCall Idaho (home) at 6:00 am and rode to Sparks Nevada and returned to McCall at 11:10 pm. My ride consisted of gas, ride about 200 miles, gas and stretch for about 10 minutes, and ride another 200 miles. It was about 50/50 state hwy and interstate. Looking back on the ride, it was the longest day I had ever put in, but I still considered getting up the next morning and doing another 472 miles to complete 1500 miles in 36 hours. Thought I would save that for another day. Got any more questions, post it or PM me. For a SS1K planning is a good thing, for a BB Gold (1500 in 24) it is essential!!! Think I'll be waiting for the Sargent seat before I attempt the BB1500!!

Willie

I did one on Thursday, on my STOCK 83 BMW R80ST, including original seat and 4.5 gallon tank...

I have done more than a few of these...just make sure the bike is in good shape and have fun.

Howard

ps: if you are worried about your butt getting sore or chafe, wear a girdle

I did 300 miles today on the KLR650 no problem. At least not with the seat. The sand in the clothes was a little abrasive after riding the beach all morning:lol2:

Delores

Was that with the stock seat??:eek2:

I had an XR650 that could almost put ya' in the hospital after 30 miles!

Yep it was the stock seat. Maybe the 08 is just different but I find it just as comfortable as my BMW GT

Delores

I don't know anything about a wearing a girdle, but a good pair of padded bicycling shorts might make a difference over such a long distance on an uncomfortable saddle. There are gel padded versions available, too. It could be worth a try while you're waiting for that custom seat... And it would be simple to change into or out of them at a rest break during the ride.

Ed.

Yep it was the stock seat. Maybe the 08 is just different but I find it just as comfortable as my BMW GT

Delores

Well I'm very hesitant to post this, BUT, I think women are naturally padded a bit better. No offense meant, honest!:giveup:

Back