• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Michelin Road Pilot 2's Installed & WATCH THOSE MECHANICS!!!!

Reaction score
Well, I know I took it in the shorts on price here in Virginia Beach - by the time the RP2's were installed, it was just shy of $550.00. Next time I'll order on-line before these give out and pay the extra charge for installation for not buying the tires from that dealer.

When they pulled the bike around, I did my normal "see how much damage they did" inspection. They put a 1" scratch on the inside of my front wheel, at least 2" from the tire bead, which means some ******* was in a hurry. I pointed this out to the manager and he walks out with a ... wait for it ... can of black spray paint. I told him nevermind - I'd buy some black nail polish and fix it myself. No pictures - wife has the camera - use your imagination and envision yourself wanting to choke the crap out of a careless mechanic.

Checked chain tension - I don't know much about music, but my chain could have played a pretty high note! I had to put most of my upper body weight on it to get it to move about 1/2". I told the manager "you're kidding, right?" He says, "well, we just set them to spec, would you like me to get a ruler"? I said "no", "what I'd like you to do is loosen that chain so that I can get 1" of play in it without standing on it". They readjusted the chain. I told him that while he might be a mechanic, I know a thing or two about chain driven motorcycles, having ridden them for almost 30 years. When a chain is that tight, you can screw up the chain, sure, but you could even bend the primary drive shaft or otherwise damage the engine.

Geez. Anyway, I'll report mileage on the RP2's. Dealer says they're pretty new and he hasn't put many on yet.

WOW, etcthorne.

I'd look around and talk to the locals and find another shop to do the work.
New Pirelli from cycle gear were just $200 a set, front and rear, on sale.

here in Ca, there is a Better Business Bureau, you can document the damage they did, describe the shoddy work, and make a formal complaint. not that much is accomplished, you wont get your money back, but its on record that they are a crooked dealership, and incompetent. I'd drive back and find the store manager in his office, bringing a giant 48 oz coke, and accidently spill it in his lap, and or computer terminal. 'Oh excuse me, let me go and get a kleenex', if he wouldnt immediately resolve the issue to your satisfaction.

or, .... ok, ok, i'll stop. trying all my life to be a professional, it irks me to hear about such stupidity, negligence, and incompetence.

you have our deepest sympathy.

Thanks Joe. I already found black nail polish - my 24 year old daughter had some - which kind of disturbs me in ways I don't wish to dwell on.

Like I said, next time I'm shopping on line for tires. This problem with my Dunlops was like an overnight thing though, and I want to RIDE!!!!

Here's a cool link on the PR2's. http://www.canyonchasers.net/blog/uploads/mpr-2.pdf

Dealer says I should get WAY more than 4K on these, unlike the stock Dunflops.

Exactly why I do my own tires.

I broke down and spent a total of $100 for the Harbor Freight set up, weights and tools about three years ago. I've changed hundreds of tires since. I can remove the rear wheel from the GPZ or Bandit in about 5 minutes, then have it dismounted and a new one mounted up in about 15 minutes total. It takes longer to clean up the wheel and balance it than anything else.

All total, I can do one wheel complete in about 30 minutes. Heck, it takes me longer than that just to drive to the closest dealer. Not only that, I mail order the tires and have been getting my Pilot Roads for less than $125 for a rear and about $89 for a front delivered to my front door.

After all that I have the satisfaction of knowing it was done right.:rider:

Just installed the CycleGear Diablos......First outting on changing my own tires.......No HF set up (yet)....just a pair of tire irons, and some OJ containers (look up Scudman on youtube)......a few choice words, and a little black nailpolish......Good to go.....I'll NEVER pay some shop the outrageous fees again....:rider:

Just installed the CycleGear Diablos......First outting on changing my own tires.......No HF set up (yet)....just a pair of tire irons, and some OJ containers (look up Scudman on youtube)......a few choice words, and a little black nailpolish......Good to go.....I'll NEVER pay some shop the outrageous fees again....:rider:

I always thought the worst part was levering off the old ones. Now, I break the beads, pry each up, then cut each bead with a cutoff wheel, directly at the tire iron, so I don't nick the rim.. They come right off then.

1000 mile report with the PR2's. These tires are simply awesome from a handling standpoint. They allow the bike to fall into corners and the steering is now very light. There is NO visible sign of the tires beginning to square (wear faster at the center, reducing them to a 4x4 piece of lumber like the stock dunflops). At 1000 miles on the original tires, there was a VERY noticeable flattening of the center of front and back tires.

These tires are also extremely quiet! I'm very happy with them so far, and I think the "dual" compound will do its job. I'll report back in another 1000 miles, but so far, so good.

1000 mile report with the PR2's. These tires are simply awesome from a handling standpoint. They allow the bike to fall into corners and the steering is now very light. There is NO visible sign of the tires beginning to square (wear faster at the center, reducing them to a 4x4 piece of lumber like the stock dunflops). At 1000 miles on the original tires, there was a VERY noticeable flattening of the center of front and back tires.

These tires are also extremely quiet! I'm very happy with them so far, and I think the "dual" compound will do its job. I'll report back in another 1000 miles, but so far, so good.

And I might add they work great in the rain.:rider:

PR2 Update. 1200 miles on them and no visible signs of wear at all. No flattening of center - nothing. Quiet tires! Bike turns much better. I don't test grip all that much.

On a side note, and unsure of relationship to tires, warmer weather, etc...., but over the last three tanks of gas I'm averaging 49.9 mpg. You know gas is getting expensive when it gets painful to fill up even a motorcycle!

Back