• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My dinner break

HiSPL

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Weaver
So I'm sitting in the Theatre here all day rehearsing a Chinese new years show for the China Club. Finally they decide to call a dinner break at 4:00. The show starts at 7:00 and I have to be here at 6:00 which means I have about 2 hours to get dinner. What a great excuse to rip down 3090 to Nasty soda, get some din din, and cruise back through Anderson to 3090 and home.

Things are going great as I turn onto the first part of 3090 from Carlos. I am picking up speed and I test the tires out a little, yep, nice and sticky... Let's go!

Turn right again to follow 3090 where it turns into that light grey pavement, 3rd gear, on the gas, 4th gear, on the gas, squeeze clutch for 5th and POP!

DAMNITY DOUBLE ****!!! :angryfir: Broke the clutch cable. Well I could turn around and head home, or just continue on.... :huh:

What to do, what to do.... Aaahhh **** let's go. :dude:

I continue to rip up 3090 (mostly in 5th gear) and it was a blast. I was the only bike out there, and I only saw 2 or 3 cars all going the other way! The temp was a perfect 75 degrees despite the cloud cover.

I reached Navasota and got some gas and ate at the Subway while mulling over my options......

I decided to slab it up hwy 6 to the house (I live on the south side of College Station). I got off on Rock Prarie and headed home.

Amazingly I only had to stop twice. Once at the gas station and once at Subway. I caught all green lights all the way home. :dude:

All in all a very nice ride, despite the mishap. I can give credit to the Suzuki gearbox being smooth as glass and the motor having enough torque to run in fifth gear anywhere from 30 mph up to 100+mph!

I hope everyone else had a nice Sunday. This ride was definately needed for me!

Later,
-Tim

You're lucky you have a wet clutch!! :shock:

Tourmeister said:
You're lucky you have a wet clutch!! :shock:

That was my first thought. On the dirt I find that I don't use the clutch all the time.

Which brings up a question of what do you do when you have a dry clutch, like on the GS?

Just let it out! The motor has a LOT of torque down low and will lug like a tractor. I smoked it in Big Bend last year right after I bought the bike. We were in some ridiculous mud and the tire was sliding all over the place when I tried to put down ANY amount of power. Even at idle, if I let the clutch out all the way, the tire would start spinning :shock: It was a hoot :lol:

Adios,

I had a similar problem in my car once.. shortly after I bought it, it got stuck in 4th gear... i some how mangaed to get it back to the dealership through the traffic and lights all in foruth gear.. . Due to my torquey VR6 4th is usable from about 45 to 140ish... luckly I didnt need to go that slow.. or that fast for that matter :mrgreen:

Clutchless shifting in a car's a hoot as well. Had to limp my buddy's RX-7 home once when his slave cylinder whent out. It was fun.

Back