• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SHNF Monday 6/2

phm14

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Last Name
McCann
Well, the heat was hot, the sand was deep and the trees were down. Stephen and I took off on the south loop from the east lot about 11:00. Stephen started having some hot start issues on his vintage bike early on, so by mile 5 I was riding solo. Lots of newly downed trees from the storm last week, probably about 10-12 more than the week before. Lots of tree hopping and cut arounds-no real problem until about mile 12 where a slight impass presented itself. Three big tree trunks in a 30' section, two of them looked about 5 feet apart. No biggie if you got a buddy, but as usual, I was solo:doh:. There were also trees down in the dense underbrush on either side of the trail. I found a fresh cut around that required hopping 4 or so other trees, and after hopping the 1st two I decided to take my chances plowing through the thick brambles and bushes, but just wound up with even more trees to cross that were hidden in the underbrush. Found myself trapped-surrounded by downed trees and panting from the heat. I was stuck in the sun and the heat index must have been pushing 100 by then. I scouted my escape line on foot, flattening some brush so I could see the last log between my bike and the trail. I was able to drag the bike back for about an 8' run up, hopped the log, stalled the bike and almost dropped it. Man I was glad to get out of there-the heat was really driving the old heart rate up:eek2: Finished the 3 liters of water in my pack @ mile seventeen, and by the time I finished the 20 mile loop @ 2:30 the heat index was well over 100 and I was done. Shortest ride I've ever had out there. In the end I guess the only casualities were a slightly bruised ego and a busted boot strap. Think it's time for me to start getting up at 4:30 or so for an earlier start:giveup:

I'm going there after work today. Brought my Cyclops dual HID helmet lights. Doing the west side. I haven't been there since they put up the bridges and I miss the sand. The last ride, at Barnwell mountain, was big chunks of rocks and hard red dirt. Well actually, hard red layers of rock formations. SHNF is twice as wide, only 10 ft of elevation and nowhere near as tight, so it should be a pretty easy ride tonight...just HOT!:rider:

Think it's time for me to start getting up at 4:30 or so for an earlier start:giveup:

We were surprised that we had a harder time on our early morning ride than the ride closer to noon. The humidity was much higher early and really sucked the energy (and sweat) out of us. One of the things I don't miss about east Texas...

Well, the heat was hot, the sand was deep and the trees were down. Stephen and I took off on the south loop from the east lot about 11:00. Stephen started having some hot start issues on his vintage bike early on, so by mile 5 I was riding solo. Lots of newly downed trees from the storm last week, probably about 10-12 more than the week before. Lots of tree hopping and cut arounds-no real problem until about mile 12 where a slight impass presented itself. Three big tree trunks in a 30' section, two of them looked about 5 feet apart. No biggie if you got a buddy, but as usual, I was solo:doh:. There were also trees down in the dense underbrush on either side of the trail. I found a fresh cut around that required hopping 4 or so other trees, and after hopping the 1st two I decided to take my chances plowing through the thick brambles and bushes, but just wound up with even more trees to cross that were hidden in the underbrush. Found myself trapped-surrounded by downed trees and panting from the heat. I was stuck in the sun and the heat index must have been pushing 100 by then. I scouted my escape line on foot, flattening some brush so I could see the last log between my bike and the trail. I was able to drag the bike back for about an 8' run up, hopped the log, stalled the bike and almost dropped it. Man I was glad to get out of there-the heat was really driving the old heart rate up:eek2: Finished the 3 liters of water in my pack @ mile seventeen, and by the time I finished the 20 mile loop @ 2:30 the heat index was well over 100 and I was done. Shortest ride I've ever had out there. In the end I guess the only casualities were a slightly bruised ego and a busted boot strap. Think it's time for me to start getting up at 4:30 or so for an earlier start:giveup:

LOL, that "Fresh cut around" sounds familiar.... Next time I'll just take the second log instead of the ticks, chiggers & etc...

We were surprised that we had a harder time on our early morning ride than the ride closer to noon. The humidity was much higher early and really sucked the energy (and sweat) out of us. One of the things I don't miss about east Texas...

Yep, went to school in San Marcos. Still prefer the weather & geography in central TX.

LOL, that "Fresh cut around" sounds familiar.... Next time I'll just take the second log instead of the ticks, chiggers & etc...
Ditto. Haven't noticed any bugs yet. Maybe it was too hot for 'em?:mrgreen: Pretty sure I've still got a piece of a sticker in my finger, though. No sign of poison ivy....yet:uhoh:

Weather was pretty nice this evening. 88 when I got there at 6:30, 80 when I finished at 9:30. I'm going to have to do this once a week after work now. Didn't turn on the helmet lights until 8:40.

I'll concur the sand was deep and quite lively. Only came across 2 log crossings.

I'll concur the sand was deep and quite lively. Only came across 2 log crossings.[/QUOTE]

Where did you ride?

West side. Started at Kelly Pond. Rode every trail north and south of 1375.

You guys get much traffic on Sat?

You guys get much traffic on Sat?
Some weekends I only see 4 people on bikes. Other times, I'm the only one out there. With 70 total miles of trails, you rarely run into anyone.

Back