• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Democrat Crossing Saturday June 7th

Reaction score
First Name
James
Last Name
Cain
Chris and I hooked up at 9am in the shade of the smoke shop in front of the Montgomery Brookshire Brothers. Chris suggested we take a DS route out of Richards to Navasota. Turned out to be a nice start, I only cleaned out one ditch:eek2:with the GS due to golf ball size gravel and distracting scenery. Leaving Independence we turned left past Clay, this is the road DESMO had found a huge snake on last time I passed thru here. Well Just when I stopped looking for the snakes wow:eek2: a huge snake crosses the road, I manage to run over his tail.Chris said it had turned around for him to dodge.
We ended up having to get off the route in Caldwell for fuel and food (and my GPS telling me to turn down a drive way) so up 166 we went. After food an fuel we slabed it across 21 to Kurten and made the cut off to Democrat Crossing. When we got to 39 I was getting really hot so we decided to slab it south. The total trip took about 8 hours.

Here are the few photos I took:

Attachments

• IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0563.jpg
    IMG_0563.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0564.jpg
    IMG_0564.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0553.jpg
    IMG_0553.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
this is the road DESMO had found a huge snake on last time I passed thru here.

Yea, I remember that ride. The river was so high we couldn't get anywhere near Democrat Crossing. Plenty of snakes, too. But what I really rmember was how windy it was riding home.

I went for a short ride Sunday and almost had a another close encounter with a snake. I was blasting thru a curve about 80 (er, I mean the speed limit) and there was a big black snake about 5 feet long laying across my line. The road had a slight bank and he was trying to slither up it. But he was going nowhere fast. I had to lean a little harder to miss his tail.

Looks like you guys had a good ride.

Steve

Back