PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Link Question

BillIngram
06-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Hello all, I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 2002 Bandit 1200 with only 5,000 miles on it. I paid $4,000, does that sound like a good deal?

Anyway, my real question is concerning lowering links. I just ordered a set from JCWhitney. Has anyone installed them before? If so, is it fairly simple? Anything I need to watch for, surprises etc...?

Thanks to all who reply.

Bill

dmerc
06-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Hello all, I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 2002 Bandit 1200 with only 5,000 miles on it. I paid $4,000, does that sound like a good deal?

Anyway, my real question is concerning lowering links. I just ordered a set from JCWhitney. Has anyone installed them before? If so, is it fairly simple? Anything I need to watch for, surprises etc...?

Thanks to all who reply.

Bill

Looks like you're getting overlooked here?

So, don't know about your Bandit, but I put 'em on a 1k VStrom last year. Nothin' to it. Worse case scenario, would be if you had to remove the exhaust or something to get the pivot bolts out. But as long as you have clearance on both sides, you'll be done in 15 minutes!

twist
06-15-2008, 09:48 AM
From what I've read, a one inch lowering should not effect much in terms of performance or handling. It may have an impact on your kickstand angle and stability and particularly your center stand, making it difficult to use.

I bought lowering links, but haven't installed them yet, I am going to give a lowered seat a try first.

The Big Spank Daddy
06-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Pretty easy and very straight forward. I have two sets here at the house for a '98 model if anyone is interested. One has three positions and the other was custom made to fall in in between the positions of the other one.

BTW, you will also have to cut down (shorten) your side stand. Then your center stand will be all but impossible to use along with it dragging on the pavement with just very moderate lean angles. Then to get it looking and riding right, you will have to raise the forks in the triple clamps.

All of this from first hand experience.

BillIngram
06-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks to all who have responded, it is appreciated. Twist, you mentioned a lower seat....Do you already have one in mind? If so, would you mind sharing where you are getting it from?

Bill Ingram

twist
06-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks to all who have responded, it is appreciated. Twist, you mentioned a lower seat....Do you already have one in mind? If so, would you mind sharing where you are getting it from?

Bill Ingram

The 2008 GSX650F seat is interchangeable and about 1" lower. Mine arrives Tuesday (according to the tracking number)

Here's more info http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php/topic,66197.0.html

BillIngram
06-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Would that seat be compatible with a 2002 Bandit 1200?

Thanks, Bill

twist
06-17-2008, 08:20 PM
That I can't answer Bill, I don't know.

Received the seat today and it fits fine (my 2007 1250 Bandit), yep it's an inch or so lower too. Haven't done a ride of any distance so can't compare the comfort, but how could it possible be worst?? :rider:

Here's what I recommend (and what I did) I tested the fit at the dealer before I ordered one. Maybe your Bandit is compatible with the 600 Bandits.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

whitesands
06-18-2008, 04:47 PM

Thanks to all who reply.

Bill

For that year be sure to watch your oil level...Some 2001-2002 models had an oil consumption issue which was caused by some pistons with holes too large in the ring groove...Not all 02' models have the issue but you might want to check the vin number with the models that were affected and if so check if the previous owner had the issue fixed by suzuki...

BillIngram
06-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the oil advice, I was aware of it and need to check the vin number. If I do have the problem, I wonder how difficult it would be to fix myself. If I remember right, it is just a poor piston design.

Bill

TWTim
06-19-2008, 09:29 PM
This may go without saying, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case: Don't forget to lower your tripleclamps by the same amount when you install the lowering links.

I'd take a measurement from, say, the back of your rear fender to the ground beforehand, then measure again once the links are installed. Whatever the difference in rear height is, lower the tripleclamps by that amount, too. You might end up with some adverse handling characteristics otherwise.

Good luck, and welcome to TWT. :welcome:

UPDATE: Sorry, Chris -- I just noticed you mentioned this.