• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

rain gear

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Deering
so i sit in class and watch it rain i think to my self, its gonna be a fun ride back to the office with my lappy and all in the backpack and nothing but a tshirt, jeans, and boots on. WIth that in mind, any recomendations for rain gear?

I have the Frogg Toggs and they are decent in a lite rain, but if you get in a turd floater they seem to seep a little.

A little seep would be tolerable. I got caught in a downpour in north Houston around lunchtime and my dress pants were soaked.

Mesh pants don't do a very good job of stopping rain, luckily I had my jacket liner with me so I'm dry from the waist up. Also note that waterproof riding boots will hold water in as well as they will keep it out.

I'm fixin to order some Toggs. DFW_Warrior, what model do you have? Looks like they have some different models, the Road Toad made specifically for riding. Only problem with that model is I'd prefer it to be like a high vis yellow suit and they have black, blue and grey. :doh:

I'm fixin to order some Toggs. DFW_Warrior, what model do you have? Looks like they have some different models, the Road Toad made specifically for riding. Only problem with that model is I'd prefer it to be like a high vis yellow suit and they have black, blue and grey. :doh:

Wow, I have never looked at their site before. I just bought the set that Cycle Gear carries normally. After looking at it, it seems that I just have the "classic" suit. Now that I know they sell different types I'd lean more towards the Road Toad or the Elite. The Elite actually looks pretty nice to me, but I know know how well it works.

One thing I'd like to know is which rain gear packs the smallest. That seems to be a big consideration.

Wow, I have never looked at their site before. I just bought the set that Cycle Gear carries normally. After looking at it, it seems that I just have the "classic" suit. Now that I know they sell different types I'd lean more towards the Road Toad or the Elite. The Elite actually looks pretty nice to me, but I know know how well it works.

Heh, I'd never heard that there were different models either until I looked at the site earlier. :lol2: People just generically call them by their brand name.

One thing I'd like to know is which rain gear packs the smallest. That seems to be a big consideration.

According to the site:
FroggToggs said:
The ultra lightweight design also allows the suit to be compressed and stored in the free Stuff Sack which firs easily into saddle bags.

I can't tell how big the sack is from the pictures, but I'm sure if the material is as thin as I think it is that you can get it into a pretty small space. I always carry my nylon jacket liner with me in the side pocket of my FS tank bag and it easily fits into what I estimate to be a 6"x3"x1.5" area with room to spare.

I'm going to order some at the end of this week (I'll be out of town this weekend and don't want a 'delivered' package sitting on my doorstep unattended for that long). I'll take some pics and post back when I get mine.

thanks for the responses guys, ill probably order a set tonight or tomorrow too. gotta decide what i want first lol.

Becarefull getting something without vents and made of 100% PVC. It's like haveing on one of those gym workout suits that make you sweat.

If possible spend a little more $$$$ and get something with vents and made of fabric. It's still hot, but much better than the plastic/rubbery stuff. And check the pant length. Almost everything I had was too short and allowed H2O into my boots or at least got my socks wet. The last set I bought a couple months ago at Cycle Gear was motorcycle specific and the pants had a nice Velcro closure at the cuff and plenty long.

I just intend to wear it commuting on days when it may rain. The jacket liner that came with my mesh jacket is not breathable and it worked just fine once I got south of the rain and back into the sun and warm air.

I'm mainly looking for something to give me as complete of coverage as possible for those times that I absolutely have to ride in the rain. I don't enjoy riding in moderate to heavy rain so it's unlikely I'll ride out and wear the suit for any length of time. If I ever decide to get a touring bike and go cross country, I'd likely buy a high quality versatile set of jacket and pants that would be better suited to long distance travelling with effective closable vents.

I agree. The Toggs are pretty darn hot when you're riding in them. Lucky for me, if it's hot and raining I usually just opt for getting wet and staying cool.

Likewise...Toggs in winter and just get wet in summer. I got the regular toggs on sale for $59/set at a Cabela's sale. I have worn them enough so that in places that catch a lot of wind they are getting fuzzy.

They are great wind breakers in winter and do OK for rain.

Be sure to think about a size larger than the size you normally wear. You want to be sure you have enough room in the butt and shoulders so they don't rip out when you have all your gear on in winter.

Look for pants with no pockets or front zipper....THEY WILL LEAK!

The motorcycle pants I just got are seemless with no pockets or front zipper and did not leak at all in the last down-pour I used them in. Anything with zippers or pockets WILL leak eventually.

I have the Frogg Toggs but they do not pack in a small space, otherwise they do okay.

Around town is fine but on trips something that packs smaller would be much better.

I think I have seen some with zippers around the bottom of the pant legs and maybe one style with velcro?

I've got the Frogg Toggs with the bib pants in safety yellow, don't remember the exact model. The zipper and velcro on the legs helps put it on over gear and boots. Even though they are fabric they don't breathe much, and after you have them over your regular gear it's going to get warm unless it's a cold winter rain. But they will keep you dry in my experience.

I've got a set of TourMaster rain gear. They didn't have a model when I got mine. think I paid $60 for mine from Honda West. Spent a full day in the rain and stayed very dry. No leaks, no seeps, nothing.
The back of the jacket is vented to allow some air out but it still gets pretty warm. I'm very much in the "if its warm and rainy, I'll just get wet" crowd.

Never used the Frogg Toggs.
I didn't know about them till my friend showed up in a pair. He did look pretty funny with that hood floping around behind his helmet :lol2:

I've had good luck buying rain gear on Ebay.

A surprising number of people buy rain gear but don't ride enough to ever have need to open the package.

The Belstaff one piece is compct and works great and dons quickly. But in a long and hard rain it will leak at the bottom of the zip eventually. Though have not taken the time to seal the zip fabric. For long touring rides I prefer 2 piece rain gear to stand up to the day after day of rain I might not have a choice but to ride. The local and 2 to 3 day stuff the Belstaff is my choice.

Nicest two rain suits I have ever used have been the suit that
Triumph sell or the BMW suit. I currently use a Hein Grieke 2
piece suit that does well but not as good as the BMW suit.

One word of caution, and the reason I no longer have the BMW
suit, when the roads dry out enough to run in the triple digits again
the suit catches air and the back blows out at about 130mph :trust:

Poped loud enough I thought I had a tire blow out

My thought is to buy a European suit as they ride in the rain much more
that we do as bikes are generally more transportation rather than toy over
there.

Back