PDA

View Full Version : Lowering link install problem on 2002 Bandit 1200

BillIngram
06-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Hello all, I received my lowering links and proceeded to start the install. Well, as usual, I run into a major problem right away. I can't get the bolts broken on the existing links!!!
I have tried everything, wd-40, breaker bar, etc. It is really odd, it looks like the left side has 14mm nuts, but the rights side has 17mm. It also appears as if the bolts go all the way through. The nuts are very odd, none of my sockets can get a good grip on them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all who respond.

Bill

kurt
06-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Time for impact tools. I don't recall anything strange about the nuts. It appears the 17mm side is the nut.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/YearID/43/Year/2002/ModelID/6863/Model/GSF1200_BANDIT/GroupID/293445/Group/REAR_CUSHION_LEVER

MetrickMetal
06-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Hello all, I received my lowering links and proceeded to start the install. Well, as usual, I run into a major problem right away. I can't get the bolts broken on the existing links!!!
I have tried everything, wd-40, breaker bar, etc. It is really odd, it looks like the left side has 14mm nuts, but the rights side has 17mm. It also appears as if the bolts go all the way through. The nuts are very odd, none of my sockets can get a good grip on them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all who respond.

Bill

If it has never been removed, then it most likely still has the factory applied thread locker on the nut and it has probably been torqued to around 70 ft. lbs, and yes you have to be carefull on the bolt as it has a shallow 14mm head on it and the nut is a 17mm and its very easy to round off the end of the bolt with and impact gun if your not careful, than you'll have to put some vice grips on the end of the bolt.

I would try carefully heating up the nut with a small propane torch or an electric heat gun to soften up the thread locker.

BillIngram
06-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks so much, that is great advice. I really appreciate it.

Bill

BillIngram
06-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Which side should I apply the heat? The 14 or the 17?

Thanks, Bill

MetrickMetal
06-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Which side should I apply the heat? The 14 or the 17?

Thanks, Bill

Youíre going to need to heat up the 17mm nut as thatís where the thread locker is. I suggest that you put a boxed end 17mm wrench on the nut and have someone hold the other end of the bolt so that you can apply a nice straight push on the wrench as it can be awkward reach under there by yourself and try and operate both wrenches.

BillIngram
06-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Well, I tried heat, and that did not work either. At this point, I am thinking the only option left would be to use a cut off tool and cut the nuts off and then replace the bolts. These things just wont budge.

Do you think this will work?

Bill

suzukijo
06-22-2008, 05:50 PM
the nuts simply unscrew from the bolts.
there is nothing special.

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/6677/img2985xr8.jpg

kurt
06-22-2008, 05:57 PM
An impact wrench would make very short work of it.

PhilS
06-22-2008, 07:04 PM
the nuts simply unscrew from the bolts.
there is nothing special.

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/6677/img2985xr8.jpg

Joe:

The "underneath" side of your bike is filthy and disgusting. Please clean it up before posting another picture of that swamp rat.:rofl: Honestly though, it's even pretty under there!!! I thought mine was clean. MAN!!!

Brass
06-23-2008, 05:05 PM
It's become clearly evident to me that Joe doesn't ride his bike. He actually trailers his bike to remote locations, unloads it, takes a few pictures, then loads it back up to drive it off to another site for more pics. To help with the illusion of riding it, he finds used tires and buys new ones to mount on the rims, then 3 weeks later he mounts the used tire to show the “before and after” pic.

Clever Joe, but we have you figured out!!

PhilS
06-23-2008, 05:10 PM
:rofl: Seems to me it would be rather costly to keep up this illusion, but, I guess it's worth it.

Brass - you made me laugh big on that one - well done!!:rofl:

BillIngram
06-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Well I finally got one bolt broken loose. I tried the impact wrench, no luck. I finally had to cut off the nut with a cut off tool and that did the trick. Now I need to start on the next one.

I have never had such a difficult time with bolts before in any situation. I have a feeling that the nuts were spot welded on to prevent modification.

Anyway, thanks to all for the advice, I really do appreciate it.

Bill

BillIngram
07-14-2008, 07:40 PM
I finally finished the job. I used the 3" link from Burhart Cycles. Great customer support by the way. The links only cost $17.00 from them.

Anyway, this thing is dramatically lower. I am only 5'4" and I can flat foot it. I did have to do a bit more modifying however. I had to cut out part of the rear fender as the tire was rubbing. That was it, so far so good. I took it out and purposely hit some rough roads. I am not noticing any handling problems whatsoever and I did not lower the front at all.

To any of you shorter riders out there, I would highly suggest this mod. It's like finally having a sport bike I can enjoy.

Thanks to all for your help during my install!!!

Bill