View Full Version : Bandit 1200 vs BANDIT 1250

getsum
06-22-2008, 07:45 PM
For those that have had a 1200 and went on th the 1250 -

WHAT STANDS OUT THAT IS DIFFERENCE :
and YOU LIKE
and YOU DISLIKE

I ride a 2001 Bandit 1200

It rides great. Zero problems, great reliability, lots of power - no complaints.

Give me YOUR COMPARISONS AFTER YOU HAVE RIDEN BOTH FOR A WHILE....

suzukisan
06-23-2008, 09:44 PM
I just traded my 2001 1200S (with 72,000+ miles) for a new 1250 ABS.

Likes: Smoother running engine, less handlebar vibration, easier to start, better instrument panel, water cooled, better leverage for center stand, and ABS.

Dislikes: Brakes seem more spongy, seat is uncomfortable (compared to the gel seat I had on the 1200), seat is higher, gas tank has an awkward baffle, rear axle nut requires a huge 36-mm socket, front fairing is smaller, seems more wobbly at higher speeds, and ABS only available in black.

Overall, no regrets for the upgrade. I hope this helps....

Brass
07-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Although I have never owned the 1200, I was able to ride one just recently to compare it to my 1250.
For reference the bikes are: 2006 1200 (Canadian model) with 22k miles which is virtually identical to my 2007 1250s (non ABS) with 5600 miles. The only major differences are the motor and diameter of the frame down tubes.

Power from the motors was noticeably different. The 1200 is still a powerful bike but the 1250 has a bit more grunt down low. I also found the 1200 to have more buzz from the motor. I wouldn't say it was enough to be offensive (I’m biased from having owned a few v-twins) but it was definitely there.

Steering and suspension was the same on both bikes, no surprise since the '06 is a virtual twin to the '07.

Brakes, the 1200 brakes where spongy, but possibly a result of mileage and riding habits/maintenance from the owner. They are the same components on both bikes.

The seat was much more comfortable on the '06 1200. They look like they were interchangeable but the foam pad was visibly different and much more plush. Could the mileage be a factor?

Since trading bikes for a while, the owner of the 1200 has gone and bought an ’08 1250sea (Canadian spec) and is pleased with his new bike.

Personally, I would not have traded the '06 for the 1250, the difference between motors wasn't that drastic. His reasons, as he claims publicly, were ease of use because of the fuel injection, no choke in the morning or jetting concerns in the mountains, the luggage and fairing on the SEA model, 5 year warranty and ABS.

This probably doesn’t help you much since we are talking about different generations of bikes from yours.

terrebandit
07-03-2008, 09:51 PM
The difference was not substantial enough to make me sell my 2000 B12 (current) or 2001 B12 (past). Yeah, the new bike is smoother but thats about it. The uncomfy seat on the new bike erases that advantage, IMO. With that said, my older B12's were stone cold reliable (easy to start, no issues). They are/were easy to work on and the aftermarket is impressive on the older bikes. Too me, it was really a toss up on the power difference. In fact, I think my piped and jetted 1st Gen would leave the new "stock" bike in the dust on both the top and low ends of the power range. However, similar mods done on the new B12 might produce a different result according to the dyno sheet. For about a year now, I've been reading all the hype about the 1250 and was actually dissappointed after touring/ripping on my brothers 1250, just last month. This is not to say that its not a great bike because it is a great bike. Just not worth the trade and additional coins, to get one. If I didn't already have the older Bandit, it would be on the short list of "new" bikes to get. If a clean 2005 model reared its head, I would still have second thoughts about buying the new bike.

Dave

Dutch, Jay made me say it.

txbanditrydr
07-03-2008, 10:08 PM
If a clean 2005 model reared its head, I would still have second thoughts about buying the new bike.

Dave

Dutch, Jay made me say it.

No way, buddy..... not until at least 100,000 miles - then I might consider it....... :rofl:

dutchinterceptor
07-07-2008, 10:29 PM
No way, buddy..... not until at least 100,000 miles - then I might consider it....... :rofl:

Consider what?? A Gixxer?? :lol2:

Dave, you know 100K is coming awfully fast for him.