• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Earphones in Texas...

syne7

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Thomas
Is it legal to wear earphones for devices such as an iPod while driving a motorcycle in Texas?

In one ear?

In both?

So all kidding aside:

Have we then established that it is okay to wear headphones while operating a motorcycle in the state of Texas? Does anyone have a reference for this data point?

Thanks!

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/ is another useful link.

I actually called this office a month ago to ask about the laws concerning running lights on bikes (LED kits). They gave me the answer on then added it to their FAQ.
I don't see any reference to head/earphones on their FAQ, I could be overlooking it.
As I recall its one of those things thats illegal, but isn't enforced. If earphones are illegal, I'm sure earplugs would be under the same rule.

as for me, I'll keep wearing them at least till an officer tells me to quit. So far, nobody has mentioned it and I've talked to a couple officers that watched me remove the helmet and earphones when I saw their blinky lights.

On a side note:
Interesting comment on lane sharing at the bottom of the FAQ...

As I continue to ponder... How smart is it, to ride a vehicle with a tiny engine, that if you push past it's limit, the only thing between you and it, if it explodes, is a gas tank?

;)

It may be legal, but is it smart?

If wind noise (without ear plugs) makes my ears ring, I sure don't want to wear regular headphones and crank them up loud enough to hear over the wind noise. I'd like to have some earbuds that seal out wind noise and fit in a helmet comfortably, but I'm not sure such a think exists.

If wind noise (without ear plugs) makes my ears ring, I sure don't want to wear regular headphones and crank them up loud enough to hear over the wind noise. I'd like to have some earbuds that seal out wind noise and fit in a helmet comfortably, but I'm not sure such a think exists.

Skullcandy Only 20 bucks, I can hear traffic fine (although people talking to me is kind of hard to understand), wind noise is drastically cut and they fit my fat head in my HJC FS-10 without any issues.

I've found several types of earbuds that help cut down wind noise, and allow me to hear music. Really, any of them that have a squishy end for the ear canal will do it. The squishy part acts as a plug to seal out some of the wind noise. I can play music at a reasonable level and still hear it. Right now I'm using Marshmallows (yes, it's a brand).

Shurely they do!

I have some Shure E2C, My wife has Shure SE110. Fit in ear, noise reduction.
I read they were about 26dBl. Better than the ear plugs you buy by 1-5 dBl !

google them. available at best buy or online.

Last edited:
According to the ATGATT handbook. "It's accecptable to wear headphones while riding, IF: You install a visual alert system to warn you that there is an EMERGENCY...OOPS! That you just got involved in!
(No smiley that declares "Extreme Sarcasim"...)
If the State of Texas allows Qualified Motorcycle Riders to decide for themselves, wheather or not to wear a helment!!!
So your question is actually moot!
Go forth, young man, and wear headphones....BUT!!! NEVER, EVER, admit to doing so! Hope you understand?

Is it legal to wear earphones for devices such as an iPod while driving a motorcycle in Texas?

In one ear?

In both?

Life is good and gettin' better.

It's either legal or Houston motocops don't know it is illegal. I got to know a couple of those boys in a lively conversation a couple of weeks parked along the 610 to I-10 East entrance ramp...had to mute the INNO XM radio plugged into Etymotic ER6's before the communication could get started. They only wanted to discuss wide white lines...no mention of earbuds. The good news...no paper of any kind exchanged!! :clap:

I keep the ER6's threaded in one jacket and SkullCandies in another. I actually prefer the SkullCandies...better bass, don't block as much sound (the ER6's don't let any exterior sound get by), seem to be more robust, and cost a LOT LESS.

Back