• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tank Bags

Reaction score
Anyone got a good recomendation on a tank bag they like? I'm on a GS500 and just looking for something I can throw a few things in if I'm going to run from Dallas to Austin for a night. Thanks.

I use an Oxford 1 tankbag that cost about $50 from the local Kawi dealer. Great bag, holds a bunch but it doesn't expand. I've used it on Jen's GS500 and it works well.

OF411time.jpg

I've always been a magnetic tank bag guy and the RKA bags are very well made and well thought out. I am reluctantly having to go to a strap down ("Hey Beavis - he almost said "strap on" - heh heh hehehehe...") for the K-bike and it's non-metallic tank cover and was given glowing recommendations for this outfit. They have some interesting features (you may find as overkill for an occasional bag) but I offer it as an alternative data point.
http://www.chicaneusa.com/

Dave.

:tab Tourmaster makes some nice stuff. I had several magnetic bags of theirs. They are six years old and still work great. One survived two crashes without coming off the bike!! The GS has a nice flat top on the tank, perfect for a bag. If you are not carrying a passenger, you might also give consideration to a tail bag that straps down on to the passenger seat. My tourmaster bag would expand pretty large and had a decent rain cover. I think it was around $60-70, well worth it.

Adios,

+1 for the Tour Master bags. Great stuff there. The first one I had I replaced after getting hit in 2000. It didn't come off the bike (the safety strap really works) but the tank wasn't wide enough to keep the bag off the asphalt. Minor damage that could have been dealt with, but the guy's insurance bought me another one. That's the one I have today.

wczimmerman said:
I use an Oxford 1 tankbag that cost about $50 from the local Kawi dealer. Great bag, holds a bunch but it doesn't expand. I've used it on Jen's GS500 and it works well.

OF411time.jpg

This is the same bag I've got. Originally picked it up for the V-Star, wanting something small enough that it wouldn't block off the speedo (on the tank). It works alright on the SV, and that little slope on the back end of it makes it comfortable if you have to lean on it to tuck into the tank. The only thing I don't like about it is that the map pocket is too narrow for the fold intervals of most maps I've seen, so you have two map panels open, but one of them has about an inch rolled under the edge. (if that makes any sense)

Tourmeister said:
you might also give consideration to a tail bag that straps down on to the passenger seat.

Is this in addition to, or instead of? I wanted to buy a tank bag but with the already high tank on the Tiger am concerned it will be too high. Since I ride solo, I like the idea of a tail bag, but the problem here is hiking my leg over all the bag.

Whoa, you can do either or both. If you are concerned about hiking the leg over the saddle, a tankbag may work better, or high heeled boots :shock: :-P

Adios,

My 'Strom is high, also - but I have found that, with a little concentration and effort, you can swing your leg over a strapped-on Koffee Kup pie box without touching it! Just depends on how valuable the cargo is! ;-)

When I have the tail bag on, I tend to have to grab my leg and hold it close to me while I get on the bike. Not pretty, but it works.

Tourmeister said:
Whoa, you can do either or both. If you are concerned about hiking the leg over the saddle, a tankbag may work better, or high heeled boots :shock: :-P

Adios,

Of course what is comfortable daily footwear for Scott may not necessarily work well for others. :lol:

Squeaky said:
When I have the tail bag on, I tend to have to grab my leg and hold it close to me while I get on the bike. Not pretty, but it works.
Come on. You gotta love seeing someone in full leathers with a tail bag doing a chorus line high kick to get on their bike. :lol: On with the show!

"Bike Master"....distributed by Tucker Rocky
I've had mine for about 4 years and it looks like it did the day I bought it........ It is made with the strongest level balistic 1000 material. Large clear map pocket, sunglass/keys/cell phone pocket top of bag, another small pocket for change/ear plugs/etc by seat area..... Bag expnads for overnight storage ability....... Bag also unzips and what remains is just a 1/2 inch tall map pocket when you don't want to carry anything but directions......... Attached to a pocket underneath the bag are shoulder straps to make it into a back-pack........ Front of bag is a comfortable handle to carry into resturants like a piece of luggage....... Included with bag is it's own rain cover. Have had bike and bag "well" above legal speeds, solid as a rock........ I have given three to close friends for X-mas gifts, and they all use the bag every time they ride and just love it. Here are two links to other people's opinions........Hope this helps
http://www.hyp4r.com/hayabusa/carrystuff.htm
http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/gearworld/gear53.htm

Squeaky said:

Yeah, but the 7-layer burrito effect of all those layers of clothes doesn't help either. :-D

I have a Nelson-Rig tank bag. $70 , expands slightly. has un-godly strong magnets and is constructed better than my previous Wolfman or Tourmaster.

Back