• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

California Superbike School

S

StoneTriple

I attended the California Superbike School yesterday. What an incredible experience. The school is a first-class operation all the way. Every single person involved is very friendly and very professional. From the time you show up for registration (7:00 AM) to the time you leave at the end of the day (about 6:30 PM), you’re treated like family. Breakfast was ready before we got there. It was coffee, pastries, fresh fruit (tons of bananas for potassium) , boiled eggs, selection of breads, espresso, juice, etc. During the course of the day, there’s plenty of water and snacks available as well as potassium and salt supplements. You’re on your own for lunch. This track - Texas World Speedway - had a concession stand so that wasn’t a problem.

They’re expecting you when you get there and waiting with your paperwork. They know who you are, what bike you’ll be using, what group you’ll be in, who your instructor will be, whether you’ll be using your own leathers or theirs, the level you’ll be riding, if you’ve been there before, etc. Every person at the school has a copy of that list. They all keep track of every session you rode, every class you attended, and every off-track drill you attended. After an hour or so, everyone knows you by name. If you’re late for a session or a class, an announcement is made over the loudspeaker. It’s regimented for a reason – they take the business of making you a better rider very seriously.

The whole operation runs like a well-oiled machine. You’re taken care of all day long and have nothing to worry about or focus on other than improving your riding. Keith Code gives each classroom session. He’s great at making it interesting and making complicated things seem simple. He makes you realize you had the knowledge and ability already. His method removes the barriers in your head. He’s thorough and it works very well. It’s about focus and execution.

Each class session is followed by a track session that is just as informative and personal. The instructors are very good and at a ratio of about 3 students to 1 instructor, they have plenty of one-on-one time. We rode the new Kawasaki ZX6s. An awesome machine. In fact, it seems so capable that the bike itself isn’t really part of the equation. It will do anything you ask of it. Nothing is left to chance, you will be a better rider when you leave. Your lap times will have improved, your focus will be better and you’ll be less tired and stressed than at a regular track day.

It was a really great experience and I look forward to going again. I'd travel to some of the other venues to train with them again.

Glad you had a great time, but I have to admit to being big-time envious. Thanks for the write up. What level did you do?

Was good to see you at LSTD.

kocook said:
What level did you do?

Was good to see you at LSTD.

I did level 1. You have to do them in order. No matter what level a person thinks they are capable of, you have to start at the beginning. In fact, there was a guy in my group that has been a club racer for 4 years and has won several state-wide races. He had gone to one of the schools about a year ago and tried to sign up for level 4 and they turned him down. Each level builds specifically on the level before it.

Good seeing you too. I thought you had decided to stay an extra day when I saw what I thought was your bike at the motel I stayed at. Turned out to be a differeny guy on an identical bike.

From the CSS website, it was obvious to me that skipping a level was not in the program. Anyone wanting to do that would have to hire Mr. Code as a personal trainer. Even then, they would still get the levels. Closest thing I have seen is the 2-day camp where you get the first three levels. Not sure if I could absorb it all that quickly.

Really wish I could have stayed!

kocook said:
From the CSS website, it was obvious to me that skipping a level was not in the program.

Forgot about that. You're right, no skipping levels. Everyone starts at the beginning and each level builds directly on things covered and practiced in the previous class.

He said they'd be back next year. I'll be there. I suspect you and Wrench will be also.
;-)

If I can wait that long

Phil,

Not sure I can wait that long. We will see...

Good to see you at Ming's last night. Jeffie pulled up just as I was leaving. Sorry to miss the rest of the party, but needed to get home to pack.

Back